Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 19 2011, 12:38 AM   #61
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Re: The Walking Dead Season 2 Discussion *Spoilers*

It always annoyed me, and I love zombie movies/fiction, that zombies seem to stop eating almost as soon as the heart of the victim stops beating. In most portrayals we see very few zombies showing the effects of sustained eating of their body.

Zombies are finicky damn eaters.
Old October 19 2011, 02:24 AM   #62
Caliburn24
Commodore

Not a bad way to start the second season. But there are two things I think the show really needs to work on.

1) Establish how the Walkers work on all levels. I know the writers don't want this because it will hem them in storywise. But it needs to be done for the good of show. Last season our heroes had to cover themselves in Walker guts to avoid detection, now they just duck under cars and put Walker bodies on top of themselves?

Create some consistent rules for the Walkers, decide how they work physically/mentally whatever. It doesn't need to be expounded on in an episode, but have it on a white board in the writer's room so that they are all on the same page. Be consistent, don't keep winging it. This is a long-form zombie show, not a one-off movie.

2) The characters(or at least one or two of them) need to be more likable. As of the season two premier all four female members of the group are horribly stupid and annoying, with Andrea being far and away the worst. You want to commit suicide? Do it.

The seven male characters don't fare much better. The two cops are acting incompetent. The boy is an idiot, except for his desire to arm himself. Token Black guy came across okay, except for somehow cutting himself on a car door. Old guy, Asian guy and Redneck guy came across best, mostly because they had almost no lines and relatively little to do, and were fairly competent.

Give us someone to root for. Right now I find it hard to sympathize with anyone(your mileage may vary of course). A little black humor would go a long way. I suppose Rick is the main character, and the one we should rooting for, but he is so bland and passive.
Caliburn24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 03:03 AM   #63
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Caliburn24 wrote: View Post
1) Establish how the Walkers work on all levels. I know the writers don't want this because it will hem them in storywise. But it needs to be done for the good of show. Last season our heroes had to cover themselves in Walker guts to avoid detection, now they just duck under cars and put Walker bodies on top of themselves?
They also had to walk directly past the walkers during the scene from season one that you're referring to. Here, "out of mind, out of sight" so long as no blood and no sound occurred was enough, and I don't see why pulling a dead body on top wouldn't work - it's still the same smell issue as before. See a previous post of mine for some of Robert Kirkman's thoughts on this.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 04:30 AM   #64
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

I thought the premiere was the best episode since the pilot although not as good as the pilot. This show really delivers on atmosphere, twists and scares but not so much when it comes to characters. None of them really grab me outside of Andrea and that's mostly because Laurie Holden is a fantastic actress.
Old October 19 2011, 04:53 AM   #65
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
I thought the premiere was the best episode since the pilot although not as good as the pilot. This show really delivers on atmosphere, twists and scares but not so much when it comes to characters. None of them really grab me outside of Andrea and that's mostly because Laurie Holden is a fantastic actress.
I lost symapthy for Andrea here, Dale has saved her several times now, and wants to adopt her and father her, she was wrong to be so abusive. I like the short haired actress, from the Mist (the mother of the missing girl?).

Darryl, last season, he was mostly too abrasive and I wanted to see him eaten, but, I really loved him in this episode being a team player. Darryl is one of my favorite characters now, and he was real near the bottom early last season.

I really liked Glen throughout S1, hope he gets some time up front next week

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 05:13 AM   #66
sidious618
Admiral

Send a message via AIM to sidious618

Sindatur wrote: View Post
I lost symapthy for Andrea here, Dale has saved her several times now, and wants to adopt her and father her, she was wrong to be so abusive.
I don't know, I understood where she was coming form. Timeline wise her sister died two days ago, too, so I have to cut her slack for that. I'm not saying she was right in what she did but she doesn't have to be in order to be an interesting character.
Old October 19 2011, 05:29 AM   #67
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

sidious618 wrote: View Post
Sindatur wrote: View Post
I lost symapthy for Andrea here, Dale has saved her several times now, and wants to adopt her and father her, she was wrong to be so abusive.
I don't know, I understood where she was coming form. Timeline wise her sister died two days ago, too, so I have to cut her slack for that. I'm not saying she was right in what she did but she doesn't have to be in order to be an interesting character.
Oh sure, I can forgive her easily, if she realizes what's she's doing (She doesn't have to admit it, just has to straighten up), but, if she continues down this road, I'm gonna wanna dismiss her.

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 03:08 PM   #68
marillion
Vice Admiral

View marillion's Twitter Profile

Morpheus 02 wrote: View Post
DarthTom wrote: View Post
marillion wrote: View Post
As for the Catholic thing... Most Christian churches all use the cross, but unless I'm mistaken, it's only Catholicism (and perhaps Eastern/Greek Orthodox) that uses the actual "Christ on the Cross" icon in their churches... At least that's what I was taught in my RCC upbringing... I would be very surprised to see that in a Baptist church...
I give them a break with this incontunity because I think there was supposed to be a lot of irony happening praying to the dead Jesus on the cross who was re-born. Or perhaps I'm reading too much into that imagery?
No, i'd say it's appropriate....i mean technically, you culd say Jesus was a zombie -- He rose from the dead!

Darth Tom, i'd say your surprise would be justified...
I agree completely... The imagery and it's placement in the show are completely appropriate.
Old October 19 2011, 05:20 PM   #69
Mark_Nguyen
Commodore

Re: sights and smells, I'm okay with concluding that the zombies go on sight first off and if they're unsure, they take a good whiff. THEY smell pretty bad in the first place, so who knows, they may have to put a bit of effort into it.

Mark

Oh, I like that Trek thing too...
Mark_Nguyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 05:32 PM   #70
Agent Richard07
Admiral

Here's a reposting of that article from last year...

7 Scientific Reasons a Zombie Outbreak Would Fail (Quickly)

And another one...

5 Scientific reasons a Zombie Apocalypse Could Actually Happen
Agent Richard07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 07:48 PM   #71
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

Like I said: Blast their noses with some kind of concentrated oil or essence. Then how would they smell?
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 08:54 PM   #72
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Well, I loved the premiere. I was impressed that 90 minutes mostly spent looking for a lost girl in the woods could be so gripping.

Also happy about the ratings. I've been worried that people would forget the show, given the short run last year and long hiatus. This and Sons of Anarchy are my two favorite shows on TV now.

Is it my imagination, or are the Southern accents more prominent this season, in particular from Rick and Lori? (Not sure if they're accurate though - Rick in particular sounds generic cornpone, not specifically Georgian.)

The first scene, with Rick leaving a message for Morgan, struck me as odd in context with the theory that the scientist told him Lori was pregnant. Why would Rick hesitate to tell Morgan about that?

I think the news was something more startling, and something that could impact Morgan - and everyone - directly. I'm sticking with my zany theory that the scientist told Rick that he's infected with the zombie virus, which might be something of extreme importance (is Rick immune? if some people are naturally immune, that's huge news!) but is also too fantastical to believe. He'd want to tell Morgan something like that, but then decide, nah, why get the guy's hopes up, it must be bullshit or a mistake.

Speaking of Morgan, I wonder if they're going to bring him and his son back into the show at some point?

Agreed. The exchange between Andrea and Dale I thought was very well acted where she blamed him for not allowing her to committ suicide.
Yeah, good scene. She seemed ingrateful, but then again, Dale stole her chance to commit suicide in a quick way, where she isn't forced to actively do something, like pull a trigger, which she might not be able to do when it comes down to it. That might have been her best chance to get out of a living nightmare, and eventually they might all regret not staying to die in the explosion.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 09:20 PM   #73
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

Temis the Bleeding Aorta wrote: View Post
Well, I loved the premiere. I was impressed that 90 minutes mostly spent looking for a lost girl in the woods could be so gripping.

Also happy about the ratings. I've been worried that people would forget the show, given the short run last year and long hiatus. This and Sons of Anarchy are my two favorite shows on TV now.

Is it my imagination, or are the Southern accents more prominent this season, in particular from Rick and Lori? (Not sure if they're accurate though - Rick in particular sounds generic cornpone, not specifically Georgian.)

The first scene, with Rick leaving a message for Morgan, struck me as odd in context with the theory that the scientist told him Lori was pregnant. Why would Rick hesitate to tell Morgan about that?

I think the news was something more startling, and something that could impact Morgan - and everyone - directly. I'm sticking with my zany theory that the scientist told Rick that he's infected with the zombie virus, which might be something of extreme importance (is Rick immune? if some people are naturally immune, that's huge news!) but is also too fantastical to believe. He'd want to tell Morgan something like that, but then decide, nah, why get the guy's hopes up, it must be bullshit or a mistake.

Speaking of Morgan, I wonder if they're going to bring him and his son back into the show at some point?

Agreed. The exchange between Andrea and Dale I thought was very well acted where she blamed him for not allowing her to committ suicide.
Yeah, good scene. She seemed ingrateful, but then again, Dale stole her chance to commit suicide in a quick way, where she isn't forced to actively do something, like pull a trigger, which she might not be able to do when it comes down to it. That might have been her best chance to get out of a living nightmare, and eventually they might all regret not staying to die in the explosion.
Yeah, or the scientist told him that the lab was already crawling with the virus. The more they cover themselves in zombie guts, hide under bodies, and splatter blood all over the place when hacking up zombies, the more it gets harder and harder to believe that they're not all immune carriers.

And that by the way is an argument to keep people in the group from "opting out". They'll need to be adopting the Laura Roslin strategy of making babies pretty soon.
Old October 19 2011, 09:36 PM   #74
sojourner
Vice Admiral

Old October 19 2011, 09:43 PM   #75
DarthTom
Fleet Admiral

Mark_Nguyen wrote: View Post
Re: Zombie Science, that's just it - most zombie movies don't HAVE to worry about that stuff, since the movie's over in two hours. Here we have an opportunity to really take a good look at how the world will remain dangerous in a reasonable time frame. It's been (I think) less than two months since the outbreak in story time, and the population has already been decimated - we just aren't seeing much of the people who've been made into neural chow, where we probably SHOULD be seeing many more skeletons and remains of the devoured. I believe that the comics establish the changes in zombie behaviour and ability as the rot and winter set in, but that may be spoilerish.
One thing that's always been unclear to me about all zombie flicks - both this one and on the big screen - is how walking dead people could successfully overtake armed living people with guns, flame throwers, drones, and even nuclear weapons.

Why wouldn't after the government realized that the world was falling apart would they mass exterminate the problem with more devastating weapondry?
DarthTom is offline   Reply With Quote