Insight Editions Announces Three Trek Books For 2015
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 11 2011, 07:13 PM   #346
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile
Re: A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones Spoiler-Filled Discussion

I wonder if GRRM would have been better off not showing us as much of the non-Westeros cultures in that regard, and leaving the details to our imagination like JRRT did with Rhûn and Harad...
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 05:46 PM   #347
superdeluxe
Captain

Nice interview with Rose Leslie talking about Game of Thrones starting at about one minute:

http://youtu.be/wfIu8WEia8k

Star Trek 250+ million or Bust!
superdeluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 05:12 PM   #348
superdeluxe
Captain

As speculated by Westeros.org yesterday, it is confirmed this morning:
http://www.amandahowardassociates.co...tors/index.php

"John Stahl will shortly begin filming for the second series of Game of Thrones for HBO/Sky."

Speculation that he will play Rickard Karstark

Old October 13 2011, 05:32 PM   #349
Ayelbourne
Fleet Captain

superdeluxe wrote: View Post
Nice interview with Rose Leslie talking about Game of Thrones starting at about one minute:

http://youtu.be/wfIu8WEia8k
Yup. Definitely kissed by fire.
Ayelbourne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 10:17 PM   #350
superdeluxe
Captain

Simon Armstrong has been confirmed as Qhorian Halfhand:

http://winter-is-coming.net/2011/10/...g-is-halfhand/

Old October 18 2011, 04:48 PM   #351
superdeluxe
Captain

A little spoilerish picture from tonight's Scream Awards on Spike TV

Old October 18 2011, 09:24 PM   #352
Kegg
Rear Admiral

I honestly have no idea how that picture constitutes a spoiler.

Unless an alternate dimesnion Ned Stark from a modernized, urban version of Westeros is going to show up in season two and start fondling his secretary on the Iron Thorne, in which case I apologize for spoiling everyone.
Old October 18 2011, 09:29 PM   #353
Skywalker
Admiral

Kegg wrote: View Post
I honestly have no idea how that picture constitutes a spoiler.

Unless an alternate dimesnion Ned Stark from a modernized, urban version of Westeros is going to show up in season two and start fondling his secretary on the Iron Thorne, in which case I apologize for spoiling everyone.
I'm not gonna lie, that'd be kinda awesome.
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2011, 10:16 PM   #354
Alex1939
Captain

Shurik wrote: View Post
Martin also never described why the seasons in this world are of random length. When people ask him what is the reason for that, he says "Magic".
That's a shame. As a space nerd, I always hoped their would be a future chapter with just brief discussions of the planet's rotation to the sun and how some variable would cause the drastic changes in seasons and season length.

I always thought with the red comet stuff that Martin might get just a little more spacey in his novels to explain the weather.

*I also want a scene in the tv show where it's from space showing the planet with winter brewing and moving in the land.
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2011, 10:22 PM   #355
Venardhi
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Venardhi Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Venardhi

There is no variable we know of that could cause the seasons to change the way they do in Westeros. Thousands of nerds have spent thousands of man-hours trying to model a system wherein it makes sense and nothing works without the addition of "God did it" or Magic.
"There is no reason why good cannot triumph as often as evil. The triumph of anything is a matter of organization. If there are such things as angels, I hope that they are organized along the lines of the Maffia." - Winston Niles Rumfoord.
Venardhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2011, 10:54 PM   #356
superdeluxe
Captain

Sorry..I had meant a spoiler for those just wanting to watch the awards without being spoiled about who won awards.

Old October 18 2011, 11:14 PM   #357
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Alex1939 wrote: View Post
That's a shame. As a space nerd, I always hoped their would be a future chapter with just brief discussions of the planet's rotation to the sun and how some variable would cause the drastic changes in seasons and season length.
That would be pretty cool in a science fiction novel, and indeed, was pretty cool in The Planet of Exile, an Ursula Le Guin novel on a world with long summers and long winters and how that affects it culturally (and how the vaguely medieval-era people of the world must prepare for northern invaders).

But Ice and Fire has hints running all throughout it that a lot of the thematic stuff may be literally connected, magically. I just read the first of the Dunk and Egg series of short stories, and offhandedly a character there observes that some say the summers have been shorter since the dragons died.

We have Winter, we have Ice (as in Fire and Ice), we have the walkers, we have the Old Gods, and in the other corner we have Fire, Summer, Dragons, and R'hllor. Cold has the disaster of a wintswept landscape of zombie men, hot has the disaster of the Doom of Valyria, a burning cauldron of destruction. We have claims dragons bring magic to the world, or summer, or whatever, there's clearlly a lot of vaguely Mancihean dualism screwing around here and I'm sure it'll make sense eventually.
Old October 19 2011, 12:30 AM   #358
Alex1939
Captain

Kegg wrote: View Post
Alex1939 wrote: View Post
That would be pretty cool in a science fiction novel, and indeed, was pretty cool in The Planet of Exile, an Ursula Le Guin novel on a world with long summers and long winters and how that affects it culturally (and how the vaguely medieval-era people of the world must prepare for northern invaders).

But Ice and Fire has hints running all throughout it that a lot of the thematic stuff may be literally connected, magically. I just read the first of the Dunk and Egg series of short stories, and offhandedly a character there observes that some say the summers have been shorter since the dragons died.

We have Winter, we have Ice (as in Fire and Ice), we have the walkers, we have the Old Gods, and in the other corner we have Fire, Summer, Dragons, and R'hllor. Cold has the disaster of a wintswept landscape of zombie men, hot has the disaster of the Doom of Valyria, a burning cauldron of destruction. We have claims dragons bring magic to the world, or summer, or whatever, there's clearlly a lot of vaguely Mancihean dualism screwing around here and I'm sure it'll make sense eventually.
It will all make sense because the orbit of Westeros (for lack of a better name) sometimes syncs up with the orbit of a red giant that severely reduces the amount of sun/warmth in Westoros. This causes the long winters which only happens every such and such cycle.

That crazy orbit that causes the long winters is also responsible for the dead rising and "magic" increasing in use in Westeros.

See, it's all caused by "space magic."
Alex1939 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 12:43 AM   #359
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

This is turning into a Hal Clement fantasy novel, if that isn't too much of an oxymoron.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 19 2011, 05:03 AM   #360
Yoda
Rear Admiral

I realize this is crazy late, but ugh, Natalie Dormer? The rat-face, the Igor-eyes... Her best assets are clearly below the neck and anyone who wants to see 'em has already had their chance in the Tudors. Speaking of the Tudors, I wasn't exactly impressed with her acting there. Hopefully they'll keep her role pretty minor in the show, that casting just isn't clicking for me at all.