Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Meaney On Playing Historical Figure Durant

Saldana: Balancing Work And Motherhood

Cumberbatch In Wax
By: T'Bonz on Oct 24

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old October 13 2011, 09:56 PM   #31
Alrik
Rear Admiral

Re: Hawaii 5-0: The Second Season Begins!

^

Couldn't agree more. I also love the interplay with the supporting cast. Especially Max (the Trekkie ) and Kamekona.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18 2011, 03:50 PM   #32
Top41

^The supporting characters are great fun. Kamekona is probably my favorite, though Max definitely cracks me up.

I really enjoyed last night's episode! The carguments are definitely my favorite, and I love that we got Danny bitching about the ritzy houses. Danny's just funny when he bitches.

No surprise that Kono was working undercover--I wonder if she'll get her badge back now? It doesn't really resolve the issue of why she lost it in the first place, but given that the missing money was replaced by the governor, they probably don't have a crime to charge her with. I wonder if, like Chin was, she'll be regarded with suspicion and distrust by people outside of 5-0.

I'm really glad Chin is getting back together with his ex. Reiko Aylesworth rocks, so I'm excited to see her on the show, and they make a really cute couple.

I wonder if Lori is just curious about Steve, or if she's crushing on him. He is pretty hot--it would be hard to blame her! That scene with Chin was hilariously awkward.

This was a fun one.
Old October 18 2011, 03:54 PM   #33
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Team Broccoli wrote: View Post

2) Even more of an issue: Where is Danny's tie??
I think the tie is just a sign that Danno is no longer a Jersey cop but has now accepted Hawaii and 5-0 as his home. I wonder if he will out on a Newark PD uniform if he has to go to a cop's funeral again.
Old October 18 2011, 03:59 PM   #34
Top41

Star Wolf wrote: View Post
I think the tie is just a sign that Danno is no longer a Jersey cop but has now accepted Hawaii and 5-0 as his home.
I agree, and I love how happy it makes Steve. It always cracked me up last season when he'd get on Danny's case about the tie. His smile in jail in the premiere when he saw it was gone was pretty cute.

I wonder if he will out on a Newark PD uniform if he has to go to a cop's funeral again.
Was he wearing a Newark PD uniform or a Hawaii one when he went to Meka's funeral in season one? I didn't notice, but I assumed it was Hawaii.
Old October 18 2011, 04:09 PM   #35
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Top41 wrote: View Post
I wonder if he will out on a Newark PD uniform if he has to go to a cop's funeral again.
Was he wearing a Newark PD uniform or a Hawaii one when he went to Meka's funeral in season one? I didn't notice, but I assumed it was Hawaii.
It was a Newark New Jersey with sergeants stripes. And Lieutenant Commander McGarrett USNR, US Naval Academy class of 199? did not bother to shave. Uniform standards obviously don't apply to reserve Navy SEALS
Old October 18 2011, 04:52 PM   #36
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Last night's episode was kinda "meh". The fact that Kono was working for HPD was no surprise at all, and the episode itself felt like it was all over the place. Of course, we also had to end with a "We're badasses walking in slow-mo!" moment.

I wonder if Lori is just curious about Steve, or if she's crushing on him. He is pretty hot--it would be hard to blame her! That scene with Chin was hilariously awkward.
I have a feeling that they wrote out Steve's Navy fling in order to possibly hook him up with Lori. That was somewhat hinted in the first episode or two of this season. I honestly hope they don't go down that path. Mostly because it is just too cliched.

I really think they are trying too hard with her character. I dunno. I just can't come around to like her. She has added nothing too the show to make her addition worthwhile. She was assigned to the 5-0 to make sure they play by the rules, but the show has done nothing with it.

Part of me wishes they kept Jenna. I felt she integrated into the show instantly.
Old October 18 2011, 09:06 PM   #37
Sheep
Vice Admiral

Here's an article on the actor who plays Kamekona:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Hawaii-F...y-1038795.aspx

He never fails to crack me up although I still think he's best used in small doses.
Old October 19 2011, 03:57 PM   #38
Top41

It was a Newark New Jersey with sergeants stripes. And Lieutenant Commander McGarrett USNR, US Naval Academy class of 199? did not bother to shave. Uniform standards obviously don't apply to reserve Navy SEALS
Ah, very cool. And LOL about McGarrett--too much time trying to catch the killer of Danno's former partner to find time to shave??

Team Broccoli wrote: View Post
Last night's episode was kinda "meh". The fact that Kono was working for HPD was no surprise at all, and the episode itself felt like it was all over the place. Of course, we also had to end with a "We're badasses walking in slow-mo!" moment.
That was such cheese. It cracked me up, but it was serious cheese. The Kono reveal wasn't at all surprising, and I'm mostly just glad it's done. I thought there was some nice stuff in the episode: Chin's date with Malia, Malia trying to talk to Kono, Steve and Danno bickering in the car again, etc.

I have a feeling that they wrote out Steve's Navy fling in order to possibly hook him up with Lori. That was somewhat hinted in the first episode or two of this season. I honestly hope they don't go down that path. Mostly because it is just too cliched.
Yeah, I'm with you there--it will be pretty predictable if they do that, and I can't say I really like the idea either. I don't think Steve has shown much interest though, aside from checking her out when they first met, before he knew she was going to be assigned to the team.

I really think they are trying too hard with her character. I dunno. I just can't come around to like her. She has added nothing too the show to make her addition worthwhile. She was assigned to the 5-0 to make sure they play by the rules, but the show has done nothing with it.
I don't really dislike her, but I don't think she's really added anything to the team, either. I'm glad they haven't gone the Mary Sue route and made her the awesomest ever!!! but I think in an effort to avoid doing that, they haven't really distinguished her.

Part of me wishes they kept Jenna. I felt she integrated into the show instantly.
I liked Jenna--she was odd and quirky and kind of awkward. I admit that I totally didn't see the twist at the end of episode 201 coming, and I'm interested to see where they take it and why she's helping Wo Fat, but I wouldn't have minded if they had made her a permanent addition to the team.

Sheep wrote: View Post
Here's an article on the actor who plays Kamekona:

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Hawaii-F...y-1038795.aspx

He never fails to crack me up although I still think he's best used in small doses.
Thanks for that article! Kamekona is hilarious, but yeah, I agree... an appearance here or there is enough. I wouldn't mind seeing an episode focused around him, but I wouldn't want him to join the team or anything like that.
Old October 19 2011, 06:55 PM   #39
Keith1701
Rear Admiral

Gaith wrote: View Post
Finally... a television show about police officers! Nirvana!
I agree.
Keith1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 03:33 PM   #40
Top41

The fight thing in last night's episode was so goofy. McGarrett takes down a suspect who was supposed to participate in a fight--so he steps in because it's for charity. Gratuitous to say the least.

I love the part with Danny connecting with the dead guy's son, and wish they'd done more with that. You could really tell how much Danny was affected by seeing the kid come home and find his house surrounded by police cars.

The appearance of the girl from NCISLA was also pretty gratuitous and unnecessary. Usually there's a real purpose behind crossovers, but there didn't really seem to be one here.

The fight scenes in this one--Joe vs. Wo Fat, Steve vs. the fighter he thought was the killer--were pretty good. I totally had the killer picked out from the get-go, though, but that was in part because he was played by a recognizable guest star.

LOVED seeing Annie Wershling!! Someone needs to get her her own show because she's too damn good to be doing guest spots here and there.

I also love how Steve always drives Danny's car--his little, "Am I driving? Of course I'm driving!" cracked me up.

What did everyone else think?
Old October 25 2011, 03:40 PM   #41
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

The appearance of the girl from NCISLA was also pretty gratuitous and unnecessary. Usually there's a real purpose behind crossovers, but there didn't really seem to be one here.

The fight scenes in this one--Joe vs. Wo Fat, Steve vs. the fighter he thought was the killer--were pretty good. I totally had the killer picked out from the get-go, though, but that was in part because he was played by a recognizable guest star.
CBS now just has to give NCIS a reason to mix with say Marine Staff Sergeant and Major Mac on CSI:NY and they can have a great CBS Universe. They can even bring back old JAG characters.

The recognizable guest star is getting harder to use. It seems like Miami Vice in the old days H5-0 is the show to be seen on. Or the producers are just offering a trip to Hawaii to get a cameo out of the Peter Fonda's of the world.
Old October 25 2011, 03:46 PM   #42
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

CBS now just has to give NCIS a reason to mix with say Marine Staff Sergeant and Major Mac on CSI:NY and they can have a great CBS Universe. They can even bring back old JAG characters.
I, for one, cannot wait until the giant crossover movie directed by Joss Whedon!

Old October 25 2011, 05:15 PM   #43
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Am I the only one who feels, despite what we've seen of Joe that he can't be trusted? Yeah. He's helping Steve and Wo fat tried to kill him but he could be playing both ends of against each other.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 25 2011, 05:30 PM   #44
Star Wolf
Rear Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
Am I the only one who feels, despite what we've seen of Joe that he can't be trusted? Yeah. He's helping Steve and Wo fat tried to kill him but he could be playing both ends of against each other.
Just like the late governor.
Old October 25 2011, 09:37 PM   #45
Alrik
Rear Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
Just like the late governor.
There is no doubt that Joe is hiding something really big, but I don't think he is in bed with Wo Fat. Wo Fat was at Joe's place to kill him. I found the line just before he fired interesting. "Tell John McGarrett his son will see him soon." Watch out Steve, Wo Fat is comin'.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote