Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Indistinguishable From Magic
Outstanding 47 29.01%
Above Average 61 37.65%
Average 25 15.43%
Below Average 15 9.26%
Poor 14 8.64%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old October 17 2011, 03:51 PM   #391
Relayer1
Commodore

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

zarkon wrote: View Post
That was my favourite bit, it's as if he's beaming into a new voyage. No doubt someone will bring him back in any event.

With Kirk & Data

but not janeway
Well, people like Kirk and Data. And Scotty...

Old October 17 2011, 03:57 PM   #392
zarkon
Captain

Only the cool kids are allowed to come back from the grave
Old October 17 2011, 04:11 PM   #393
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

Scotty is such an iconic character who has been with us for well over 40 years. For him to end like that was not good. I know that it's all open for his return but the question is will any author do that?
Of course if David was to bring him back in his next book all would be forgiven...
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 05:31 PM   #394
Lonemagpie
Writer

wahwahkits wrote: View Post
Scotty is such an iconic character who has been with us for well over 40 years. For him to end like that was not good. I know that it's all open for his return but the question is will any author do that?
Of course if David was to bring him back in his next book all would be forgiven...
Well, that would depend what my next Trek would be - there's not much chance of Scotty coming back in it if it's, say an Enterprise or TOS book.

However, I do have an outline for another book set after this one, that would need him to be in it, and the way he goes out is specifically intended to fit with that one, *if* Pocket commission it someday.

If they don't... well, how could he top jump-starting the Big Bang anyway?

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 05:46 PM   #395
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
Well, that would depend what my next Trek would be - there's not much chance of Scotty coming back in it if it's, say an Enterprise or TOS book.

However, I do have an outline for another book set after this one, that would need him to be in it, and the way he goes out is specifically intended to fit with that one, *if* Pocket commission it someday.

If they don't... well, how could he top jump-starting the Big Bang anyway?
I don't think he could top that!!
It would love it if you wrote the follow-up, would you be interested in commissioning the Challenger-A as well...

p.s- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring Vol back too!
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 06:05 PM   #396
Lonemagpie
Writer

I don't think he could top that!!
It would love it if you wrote the follow-up, would you be interested in commissioning the Challenger-A as well...
I've no plans for a Challenger-A, but anything's possible.

p.s- PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE bring Vol back too!
I've kind of done the stuff I wanted to do with the Vols (there's another member of the species in Reservoir Ferengi, if you haven't read that yet), but again, never say never - if it feels right I'd put him in.

I definitely *do* want to bring back Qat'qa, mind you - and as for the existing screen characters, I'd love do to something more involving Guinan someday as well.

But it's all up to Pocket to decide whether they want any of those stories...

Old October 17 2011, 08:49 PM   #397
captcalhoun
Admiral

how to top jump starting the big bang?

how about getting killed by a time-travelling assassin who's secretly the daughter of two of his closest friends and who's the love of his life, only to reveal he faked his death with a shape-shifting robot?

naaaaaaaaaaah, that'd NEVER work, would it?
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 10:29 PM   #398
Lonemagpie
Writer

Makarov wrote: View Post
how to top jump starting the big bang?

how about getting killed by a time-travelling assassin who's secretly the daughter of two of his closest friends and who's the love of his life, only to reveal he faked his death with a shape-shifting robot?

naaaaaaaaaaah, that'd NEVER work, would it?
As far as I'm concerned, that *didn't* work...

Now, getting killed by a time-travelling assassin who's secretly the daughter of two of his closest friends and who's the love of his life, only to reveal he temporally duplicated himself and took her place in order to kill his own younger self...

Old December 5 2011, 04:28 AM   #399
Fer
Commander

Finally read it, and absolutely LOVED it. Gave it an "Outstanding" vote. I'll confess I put it off because I was under the impression that it was a "side story" with no big ramifications... boy, was I wrong there.

Since it's been quite a few months since the book came out and I notice people aren't using the spoiler tags anymore, I'm just going to put it all out there-- David, I think you gave Scotty a great send-off. Being an old-school fan, the classic crew will always have a warm place in my heart, and I hate to see any of them go. But the Trek universe covers over 200 years now, and I think it's good for the characters to eventually have closure. (I just hope someone gets the chance to die peacefully in bed!) Sure, the opening is there for him to potentially come back in the future, but if this is the way he goes out, then it was fitting. Tinkering until the very end and never giving up.

I was also very sorry to see the Challenger go. (And it's a nitpick of mine, but thank you for frequently putting "the" before the starship names.) I found I became very attached to that ship and her crew in such a short time, and the transition between the two parts of the story really made me feel like Geordi was now captain of the Challenger for good. I like that he's kept the Captain of Engineering rank, especially since Scotty was the one to promote him. The torch has been passed.

Speaking of the crew, I think calling it a TNG book was the way to go-- with Geordi, Barclay, Guinan, Ogawa, Leah Brahms, Rasmussen, Bok and Sela it felt more like a Next Gen book than the E-E books have lately to me.

Thanks for a great read.
Old December 5 2011, 04:59 PM   #400
Lonemagpie
Writer

those are some lovely comments, Fer, and I'm glad you liked it.

Now I just have to hope to do some more!

Old December 5 2011, 07:17 PM   #401
Relayer1
Commodore

Any news on those pitches ? We could do with some more Enterprise.

Have you considered DS9, maybe O'Brien and Garak ? There's a real gap in the market there...
Old December 5 2011, 08:40 PM   #402
Lonemagpie
Writer

Relayer1 wrote: View Post

It's not the season for news! I've never seen news about pitches to big publishers between, like, November and February...

Have you considered DS9, maybe O'Brien and Garak ? There's a real gap in the market there...
I'd love to do DS9, but really don't know at the moment where in its timeline to place a pitch for it. Would they allow a story placed during the show's run, for example? Mind you, I could ask the same about Enterprise, and the story I pitched for that is aimed for sometime in season 1 or 2...

Old December 5 2011, 09:33 PM   #403
Relayer1
Commodore

It's not the season for news! I've never seen news about pitches to big publishers between, like, November and February...

I'd love to do DS9, but really don't know at the moment where in its timeline to place a pitch for it. Would they allow a story placed during the show's run, for example? Mind you, I could ask the same about Enterprise, and the story I pitched for that is aimed for sometime in season 1 or 2...
Well, the lack of anything post the Romulan War planned for Enterprise or for the infamous '5 year gap' in DS9 on the schedules at the moment, suggests these.

Comments by other authors suggest that there may not be some sort of an overarching masterplan for these eras so it might be worth giving it a go !

I hope you get one for this Christmas - I'd like to see one by this time next year !
Old December 5 2011, 09:52 PM   #404
Christopher
Writer

...the infamous '5 year gap' in DS9...
Which is actually only 4 years and 1 month... or 3 years and 1 month if you count "Reservoir Ferengi."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5 2011, 10:10 PM   #405
Lonemagpie
Writer

Well, the lack of anything post the Romulan War planned for Enterprise or for the infamous '5 year gap' in DS9 on the schedules at the moment, suggests these.

Comments by other authors suggest that there may not be some sort of an overarching masterplan for these eras so it might be worth giving it a go !

I hope you get one for this Christmas - I'd like to see one by this time next year !
2012 will be commissioned-up by now. The next round of commissioning (for 2013) will probably be sort of March-May, just based on previous stories, so one can but hope and keep pitching...