The Red Shirt Diaries #9
By: T'Bonz on Oct 28

Greenwood Cast In Truth

Cumberbatch In Talks For Strange

Two New Trek Bobble Heads
By: T'Bonz on Oct 27

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old October 17 2011, 04:51 PM   #1471
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Upcoming issues:

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/s...n-Atom-Vs-Wolf
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 05:33 PM   #1472
C_Miller
Captain

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Yeah, I feel it's a little unfair to lump the master craftsman in with the assembly line workers, even if they are the same age.

At the same time, I really feel that I'm being unfair for saying that about the man who wrote and drew Superman #75
I agree that Giffen's good, but he's representant of a different time, one that I think we should move forward from. This reboot should have been the perfect chance to sideline some of the old guard and bring in the fresh new writers, like Giffen was in the 80s and Morrison. But they're using Lobdell, Jurgens, and Giffen as workhorses and that's in the opposite direction.

And saying that Jurgens shouldn't be grouped into that group because he wrote Superman #75 just proves my point. It came out in 1992. My point isn't that these writers are bad (although Lobdell leaves a bit to be desired in some cases), my point is that they represent a different time and still write like they're from a different time.

This was a great chance to go with new writers who have little experience in the business. Damon Lindeloff is a big comic book fan. See what he can do. The Lang Brothers who wrote A Very Potter Musical (which is actually a well written parody with fast humor and a lot of heart) are massive comic book fans. Would have loved to see what they could have done with JLI or something like that. It might not all work (but to be fair, neither did a lot of the DCnU), but the point is they're taking chances and trying to remain fresh.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 06:39 PM   #1473
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Lindeloff isn't a good comics writers.

DC needs is to use the guys they have writing for Vertigo or poach over the indy writers that work for Image. Instead of relying almost exclusively on Morrison and Johns, they need to get some of the new talent writing for their A-list characters. Of the current slate of breakout writers for DC, most of them with exception to Snyder are all on low selling or C-list characters. Why not put Cornell on Superman? He did wonderful work with the Lex Luthor stuff. Instead he is writing freaking Etrigan and Stormwatch. Or get Lemire to do Legion or Titans instead of Levitz or Lobdell? Fresh blood is certainly more welcome than the same stale thing.
Old October 17 2011, 06:47 PM   #1474
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Yeah, if Cornell wanted to do Superman, there is no reason on God's green Earth not to have let him. George Perez, while a fine human being and with some competent projects in the past, has never been considered a writer of particularly great note.

Also, Pete Woods on Superman forever.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 07:09 PM   #1475
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

More upcoming issues (Superman titles this time):

http://www.bleedingcool.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=48241

Maxima is back with a whole new look.
Old October 17 2011, 07:13 PM   #1476
JRS
Fleet Captain

I have to say that from the number 1s that I have read, the Justice League International has been one of the positive surprises. I like the art and the story/character seem interesting. I have never much read JLI before, so I am happy to be on board now
As for Justice League..interesting but slow start somehow. Was bit surprised that only about half of the team was featured on the first issue..but I can see why they went that route. Some nice dialogue between Bats and Green Lantern.
I have also been very pleased of Supergirl and Catwoman.
CW has a very cool art and story seems to be in a nice start.

Wonder Woman has been bit "meh" so far..cant say that I like the artwork much either, I guess it takes a bit time to get used to.
I decided to collect Batgirl and Superman via trades, since I cant really afford everything.
"Always give your best, never get discouraged, never be petty; always remember, others may hate you, but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them, and then you destroy yourself " - Richard Nixon
JRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 07:27 PM   #1477
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I love the "baby Kal-El" cover for Action #5. Classic stuff.

I'm hanging in with Superboy for Fairchild's sake. Waiting for her to hit puberty.

Putting it that way sounds...actually, there's just no way to make that sound okay. Forget it.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 07:30 PM   #1478
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

^ I loved the baby Kal-El in his ship cover, and I guess that explains the 52 cape thing. Morrison wasn't kidding when he said Clark's cape is like his baby blanket heheh. I see Maxima is in Supergirl #5. Interesting. I'm really pumped for the Captain Marvel back up stories (no matter what you Gary Frank haters say ) Oh and like Dennis I am hanging in with "Superboy" because of Caitlin.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 07:54 PM   #1479
C_Miller
Captain

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Lindeloff isn't a good comics writers.

DC needs is to use the guys they have writing for Vertigo or poach over the indy writers that work for Image. Instead of relying almost exclusively on Morrison and Johns, they need to get some of the new talent writing for their A-list characters. Of the current slate of breakout writers for DC, most of them with exception to Snyder are all on low selling or C-list characters. Why not put Cornell on Superman? He did wonderful work with the Lex Luthor stuff. Instead he is writing freaking Etrigan and Stormwatch. Or get Lemire to do Legion or Titans instead of Levitz or Lobdell? Fresh blood is certainly more welcome than the same stale thing.
He's written comics before? I was just throwing out good writers in other mediums who have done some interesting things. I'm loving your suggestions though. Keeping Cornell on Superman would be fantastic. Jeff Lemire on anything would be good. It would be nice to see DC making some power plays on Marvel to get some people after losing Rucka and Waid. I'd personally love to see Jason Aaron do something. Perhaps have kept Snyder on Detective Comics and have Aaron do Batman. Then have Morrison and Cornell on Action Comics and Superman to have the Superman titles be the best they can be. Azzarello is about as fresh as they come with Wonder Woman. While Flash was very good, why not put Jeff Lemire (who seems to be good at some weird stuff ala Frankenstein) on Flash. Harken back to the old days when it was high concept Sci-Fi.

What happened to Brian K. Vaughan? I think he'd excel on Teen Titans, maybe not for a super long open ended run, but maybe like a year or so. What's Matt Wagner been up to? He used to be fantastic and recently even did some great early Batman stories. Maybe put him on Detective.

What's more all of the writers I mentioned are fresh and have a relative fresh outlook or are good at adopting one. From what I have seen from Giffen, Lobdell and Jurgens in the DCnU, they are not.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 07:56 PM   #1480
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

My Name Is Legion wrote: View Post
I love the "baby Kal-El" cover for Action #5. Classic stuff.

I'm hanging in with Superboy for Fairchild's sake. Waiting for her to hit puberty.

Putting it that way sounds...actually, there's just no way to make that sound okay. Forget it.
The lack of proper radiation shielding makes me angry.

Well, not really.

Also, Fairchild? Why? I bought like two issues of Gen13 so maybe I'm just ignorant. Anyway, Freefall was hotter.

Old October 17 2011, 08:04 PM   #1481
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

C_Miller wrote: View Post
What's Matt Wagner been up to? He used to be fantastic and recently even did some great early Batman stories. Maybe put him on Detective.
He's writing Zorro comics for Dynamite. I wish he'd do more Grendel or Mage.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 08:05 PM   #1482
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

I still don't know why they didn't give Paul Cornell a Super book. I could pose a guess that maybe they did and he turned it down? Maybe he felt he already told the Superman story he wanted to...which was really the Luthor story, that finale was so awesome. The Reign of Doomsday was not.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 08:11 PM   #1483
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I want to think somebody told me that The Black Ring was sort of a great-art-through-necessity type deal; that is, he wanted to do Superman in Action Comics, but JMS' further defilement of the medium of comics put a kibosh on his Superman plans.

Old October 17 2011, 08:14 PM   #1484
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Well, not really.
I see a comment over at bleeding cool that would explain that and which I really like to boot:

The new twist? Jor-El wasn't sending Kal to Earth he was trying to sacrifice him to Rao the sun god to save Krypton.

they'd never do it but that would be great.
Old October 17 2011, 08:22 PM   #1485
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

JoeZhang wrote: View Post

Well, not really.
I see a comment over at bleeding cool that would explain that and which I really like to boot:

The new twist? Jor-El wasn't sending Kal to Earth he was trying to sacrifice him to Rao the sun god to save Krypton.

they'd never do it but that would be great.
That would be hilarious.