Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Art

Fan Art Post your Trek fan art here, including hobby models and collectibles.

Old October 11 2011, 02:23 PM   #481
blssdwlf
Commodore

Re: TOS Enterprise WIP

@Tallguy - Awesome. I was there on Oct 6 (a thursday too!) Thanks for the picasa link. I need to post up the rest of the photos I took now
blssdwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 03:53 PM   #482
malchya
Lieutenant Commander

Allright, so I'm a geek. That gives me goose flesh!
malchya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 09:41 PM   #483
Mytran
Fleet Captain

You state-siders aren't 'arf making me envious! Still happy this side of the pond, though
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12 2011, 09:54 PM   #484
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

I dunno. Where is all of the Space: 1999 stuff kept?
Old October 14 2011, 02:53 PM   #485
blssdwlf
Commodore

Rest of my photos of the Enterprise at the Smithsonian
http://chungphotos.smugmug.com/Hobbi...9530203_XsvPN3
Old October 14 2011, 03:43 PM   #486
Tallguy
Fleet Captain

I'm impressed that you got higher above the saucer than I did. I didn't even notice the stand. Of course I also only noticed that the top of the case is a MIRROR at the last moment, too. I was a little rushed.
Old October 14 2011, 09:59 PM   #487
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Great photos, Blssdwlf
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2011, 11:55 AM   #488
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Tallguy - I fired blind to get the higher shots because I'm not that tall Yeah, I was rushed as well because I was traveling with co-workers.

@Mytran - Thanks!

One nice thing about shooting my own photos is that I know what camera settings I used and can then do some camera matching to check my 3D model's accuracy (accounting for changes in the Smithsonian version vs filmed versions.)

Speaking of, does it look like there are 2 decks of windows in the tear drop structure that is under the bridge dome? (Visible in Tallguy's photo close-up from the ship's right side.)
Old October 16 2011, 05:37 PM   #489
blssdwlf
Commodore

And a tangent regarding TOS Enterprise orbits. Using Tallguy's excellent TOS FX Reference page a re-creation of the WNM Orbit Towards shot.

Old October 20 2011, 03:48 AM   #490
Balok's Head
Lieutenant

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
Pulled out a rough mock-up of what the end nacelles might look like when "transforming" between flat and sphere ends. The "raised panel" would be the middle section of the flat end extending/retracting. The grill pattern would be panels that could slide in (slightly) and change color/recede into shadow.

Although some good work has gone into these, I think it is unnecessary to to explain oddities such as these as they were not intended. The only reason we see such things is purely because of budgetary reasons. TOS:R made no such attempts to explain these so why should we? The different nacelle endcaps we see are from two different models in three different configurations.

The caps with the clips on them are from a 3 foot study model build for The Cage: this model was not intended to be filmed but because of monetary and time saving reasons it was used in the first pilot. It is interesting to note here that the large 11 foot model was only used in ONE shot during this episode; the opening establishing shot, and at this time the end caps on that model were completely smooth with no clip detail at all, again due to time and money constraints.
I don't see any need for an in-universe explanation.

The endcaps with the holes in them are from Where No Man Has Gone Before and the reason we see these in the series are, again, for budgetary reasons... Footage of the 11 foot model taken during the filming of WNMHGB in 1965 was taken and used as stock footage for the three seasons of the show form '66-'69 to save money on filming more of the same shots, nothing more. At the time such small differences were supposed to go un-noticed. Who would have guessed that years later now, fans of the show would be picking at every detail.

It's a lot of fun as we all know, but trying to explain things like this makes the Trek universe less credible and more un-believeable IMHO.

Again, some truely awesome work here!

BTW, I noticed that the forced perspective engineering set has been taken a little literally; it's not supposed to actually be distorted to a point like that.
In fact I was sure that those pipes go directly up through the warp engine pylons to feed the nacelles directly! This idea would also support an engine roon in the engineering hull!

Balok's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 05:54 AM   #491
Albertese
Commodore

Don't worry, Balok's Head, all of these points you brought up were discussed quite thoroughly up-thread. I realize it's a lengthy thread so you can be forgiven for having not read the whole thing.

--Alex
Old October 20 2011, 10:11 AM   #492
blssdwlf
Commodore

@Balok's Head - As Albertese points out, we've discussed these points pretty much up-thread. Short answer is, "what would the Thermians do?"

There are plenty of other TOS Enterprise build-up threads that might be more up to your tastes like havoc92's variation of FJ's blueprints or the various other MJ or personally-inspired ships. This version is the original TOS FX version
Old October 20 2011, 10:28 AM   #493
Balok's Head
Lieutenant

Ah cool cheers for the replies guys, yeah I guess it's kind of old stuff I'm bringing up and I've done my best to look through all pages, though I did miss a bunch of replies, still though some FANTASTIC work and speculation going on here.

Someone did a really cool black and white render of the bridge set, displayed in the actual dome but for the life of my I can't find it again...

EDIT: found it, it was on another thread. lol

Last edited by Balok's Head; October 20 2011 at 11:23 AM.
Balok's Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 03:34 PM   #494
USS Mariner
Rear Admiral

View USS Mariner's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to USS Mariner Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to USS Mariner

blssdwlf wrote: View Post
And a tangent regarding TOS Enterprise orbits. Using Tallguy's excellent TOS FX Reference page a re-creation of the WNM Orbit Towards shot.

Anyone else find it sadly ironic that the "dumbest" Trek series had accurately depicted how a starship in orbit would look?

Subspace Commns Network ~ Visit Marinina!
USS Mariner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20 2011, 09:37 PM   #495
Albertese
Commodore

I'm glad "dumbest" was in quotes. All the shows had their dumb moments, but over all, Star Trek hardly is beneath it's successors.

--Alex