New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old October 13 2011, 03:06 AM   #1546
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Re: Minecraft

Yeah, Strongholds are pretty pointless atm. Though it would be nice to collect some of that brick. Weren't they intended to be boss lairs at one point?

Owain - No cave spiders yet eh? Consider yourself lucky.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 03:46 AM   #1547
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

There's an end to this madness? Dunno, but I've always felt the game was more or less like Warcraft in terms of gameplay, with no end in sight. Does that mean there's going to be an official story or campaign mode? Having an end seems more fitted to single-player anyway.

Anyway, I'm glad we cleared up that confusion about strongholds. I'm going to assume that finding a mineshaft doesn't mean I've found a stronghold, even though mineshafts may be part of strongholds, as a bigger picture. So, it's possible we'll still find one.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 04:18 AM   #1548
judge alba
senior street judge

is the server down? i cant seem to get on keep getting 'cant resolve host name', what ever that means.
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 04:21 AM   #1549
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Yeah, there's a hardware issue that my host is dealing with. It is taking longer than usual. Sigh. I can post an update in here once it's back up.
My blog
Robert Maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 04:25 AM   #1550
judge alba
senior street judge

ah ok i was mucking around with my minecraft removing a few files i dont use, thought i had buggered it up
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 12:20 PM   #1551
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

OMG, wierdness in the heavens. Notch has just proclaimed that the sun and moon will be round from now on, and the sun will rise in the East! Our whole world just got flipped 90 degrees!
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 12:34 PM   #1552
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Round things? In my Minecraft?

And this means Cubehenge is going to be ruined!
My blog
Old October 13 2011, 12:43 PM   #1553
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Heh, I will just use MCEdit to flip Cubehenge around or something. No way am I going to rebuild the damn thing...
My blog
Old October 13 2011, 12:44 PM   #1554
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

By the way, our server's back!
My blog
Old October 13 2011, 02:38 PM   #1555
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
There's an end to this madness? Dunno, but I've always felt the game was more or less like Warcraft in terms of gameplay, with no end in sight. Does that mean there's going to be an official story or campaign mode? Having an end seems more fitted to single-player anyway.
Notch said last year that beating the game would be very open-ended and very difficult, and he mentioned the idea that killing a dragon would constitute winning. Considering dragons are now being added in the last few days before a freeze on new features, they're planned to be almost impossible to kill, and they'll only spawn in a realm called "The End", I would assume that's going to be the way to win.

Cutter John wrote: View Post
OMG, wierdness in the heavens. Notch has just proclaimed that the sun and moon will be round from now on, and the sun will rise in the East! Our whole world just got flipped 90 degrees!
I can understand changing the direction the sun rises from, although my sunrise/sunset observation rooms in Fort Jupiter are now useless, but I don't like the idea of a round sun and moon. The Minecraft world is a massive square so it makes sense that the sun and moon would be too.
Old October 13 2011, 02:39 PM   #1556
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

I'm sure there will be "purist" texture packs to bring back squaresun and squaremoon!
My blog
Old October 13 2011, 02:59 PM   #1557
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Cutter John, you can make stronghold bricks by mixing up 4 smoothstone blocks. Kind of a pain in the ass, but in the end you'll have a nice looking structure.

And IMHO, the idea of "winning" Minecraft seems pretty pointless. What is there to do once you "win"? Everything you've always done, building stuff, finding strongholds, and surviving the night.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 03:06 PM   #1558
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

I think the idea of "winning" would only come into play with the "Adventure" mode. (Not to be confused with the "Adventure Update," which was 1.8, I think?)

What we've been seeing is "Adventure Mode" created piecemeal: the NPC villages, the strongholds, the abandoned mineshafts, etc. As originally described by Notch, Adventure Mode would have you incapable of breaking/placing blocks. You would basically have a world to run around in and accomplish tasks. It makes a fair amount of sense that you would therefore start off in an NPC village, be given quests by the villagers, gradually build up weapons, armor, and experience, find and explore the strongholds, and your eventual goal would be to go to the End and kill a dragon.

That all makes sense from the perspective of a linear game. But it does make me wonder what purpose the End and dragons would serve in a traditional Survival game. There would be no point to building there if a dragon's just gonna wreck it, but it makes no sense for a Survival game to "end" just because you killed a dragon, either.

Hopefully the Mojang folks are working this out internally. It would be cool to have three different game modes: Classic, Survival, and Adventure. I've just never been convinced that a separate Adventure mode would really add much to the game, especially as it's just a single-player experience that takes away much of what makes Minecraft enjoyable (the mining and crafting!)
My blog
Old October 13 2011, 03:21 PM   #1559
B.J.
Rear Admiral

Notch also said on Twitter (and provided a pic) that the reason for the sun/moon being round is because the moon will now have phases.
Old October 13 2011, 03:23 PM   #1560
Robert Maxwell
Respect the Beef

Maybe he's adding a werewolf mode for when there's a full moon.
My blog