RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,730
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 891
Newest member: DeimosAnimus

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Lounges & General Chat > Miscellaneous

Miscellaneous Discussion of non-Trek topics.

Old October 12 2011, 11:23 PM   #1531
Holdfast
Procul, O procul este profani!

Re: Your latest purchases, cont.

jason's bro wrote: View Post
Holdfast wrote: View Post
I bought two new suits - a navy stripe and a navy plaid to add to the rotation.
Sounds cool, esp. the latter. I'm still waiting on a grey cheviot to be made up... with the weather rapidly turning, I'm hoping it's ready for a fitting soon.

When it comes back from the tailor, I'll try and get a close up pic. The texture really adds something to it. I've wanted a navy stripe for a while, the plaid was an impulse buy and I think I'm more excited about it than the stripe.

Always the way with impulse buys.

I'm having to shop for a new cheap 2.1 set of speakers for my laptop having clumsily tripped over the wires of the old pair. The speakers now have a nasty hum whenever you plug them into anything. So they're definitely broken. I'm just hoping that the headphone jack on the laptop didn't break at the same time as well (haven't got anything to test that with until I get new speakers)...
Holdfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 02:25 AM   #1532
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

Isn't that the truth?

Good luck on only needing to replace the speakers.

This has just come on my radar:

I haven't bought yet as I can't decide to go with the cordovan or black. If I can get a good enough sale, I might be able to justify both, at least to myself.
the 4th Hanson bro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 05:41 AM   #1533
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

I like the cordovan; it's very snazzy. Besides, everyone gets black. Be different.
Old October 13 2011, 11:00 AM   #1534
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

A EVGA GTX 560 for my PC.

Haggis and tatties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 06:20 PM   #1535
Holdfast

Isn't that the truth?

I got lucky.

Only needed to replace the speakers, and found a reasonably priced pair. The sound is a little "over-precise" to my ear but I guess I'm not used to hearing elements of songs that just mushed together a bit on the 10-yr old pair that broke yesterday.

This has just come on my radar:

I haven't bought yet as I can't decide to go with the cordovan or black. If I can get a good enough sale, I might be able to justify both, at least to myself.
Johnston & Murphy are a reasonable pair of shoes for the price, but the leather can be prone to a fair bit of fine creasing. That might show up less against a cordovan background than the black. I'm assuming it's cordovan-coloured calfskin, not actual cordovan. If it's actual cordovan vs black calfskin, definitely go for the cordovan. It will look much better over time at the J&M level vs their calfskin.

Having said that, in terms of style, I tend to prefer single monkstraps with either plain toes or cap-toes, and moc toed fronts with double monks. The single monk is a touch more formal than the double, so seems to work better with a slightly more formal toe. I've got a black moc-toe monk, but it's a double strap, and makes for a surprisingly versatile shoe.

Your shoe in cordovan colour would be a casual shoe that I'd tend to reserve for outfits that stop short of a full suit. Would be nice for any autumn outfits eg with a pair of cords, a checked shirt with or without a jumper on top, and a jacket. In black, I don't think it would get as much use... maybe with smarter outfits for going to restaurants, bars, and other similar evening events.

PS. if you like the idea of a black double monk in suede, there's a pretty cool version by Magnanni up at NM Last Call at the moment in a similar bracket to the J&M. That would work very nicely with a (non-shiny) semi-casual grey suit or similar trousers; perfect with flannel or donegal, for instance.
Old October 13 2011, 09:41 PM   #1536
Niorah
Fleet Admiral

View Niorah's Twitter Profile

I got D&D Daggerdale from Xbox Live, been playing it very happily.
Old October 14 2011, 04:17 AM   #1537
auntiehill
Fleet Admiral

Picked up an off-white, long tank-top from Coldwater Creek; it was on sale for only 13 dollars, and with free shipping, too. I couldn't pass it up. In case it does actually ever get cold again here, I will finally be able to dress in layers.
Old October 14 2011, 02:43 PM   #1538
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

I got lucky.

Only needed to replace the speakers, and found a reasonably priced pair. The sound is a little "over-precise" to my ear but I guess I'm not used to hearing elements of songs that just mushed together a bit on the 10-yr old pair that broke yesterday.
Outstanding. Reminds me of an audiophile I used to work with. He spent $500 on vibration dampening feet for his CD player. While listening to a new CD of a symphony, he kept hearing a rustling sound he thought was a flaw on the disc but he determined was the turning of the score.

Johnston & Murphy
*makes note to rename any uploads moving forward*

Your shoe in cordovan colour would be a casual shoe that I'd tend to reserve for outfits that stop short of a full suit.
At the office, it's a full suit. People expect a certain look in my line of work.

I only saw them in a catalog, haven't seen the real thing yet. I may see them and fall out of like with them.

PS. if you like the idea of a black double monk in suede, there's a pretty cool version by Magnanni up at NM Last Call at the moment in a similar bracket to the J&M. That would work very nicely with a (non-shiny) semi-casual grey suit or similar trousers; perfect with flannel or donegal, for instance.
Interesting. I don't know if I'm anywhere near stylish enough to pull those off.
Old October 14 2011, 02:45 PM   #1539
SPCTRE
N7

View SPCTRE's Twitter Profile

Star Trek: Titan #6: Synthesis

The Graduate

Niorah wrote: View Post
I got D&D Daggerdale from Xbox Live, been playing it very happily.
Awesome! It's singleplayer-only, isn't it?
Old October 14 2011, 04:53 PM   #1540
Holdfast

Outstanding. Reminds me of an audiophile I used to work with. He spent $500 on vibration dampening feet for his CD player. While listening to a new CD of a symphony, he kept hearing a rustling sound he thought was a flaw on the disc but he determined was the turning of the score.

Yeah, well, my new speakers are far from that good, but they're certainly better than the old ones. I'm getting used to them now.

I only saw them in a catalog, haven't seen the real thing yet. I may see them and fall out of like with them.
True, true. I don't distance-buy shoes "blind" either. Unless I've tried them (or another shoe in the same last) on IRL already, I prefer to buy in person. Even when you can exchange, it's just a hassle I can do without.

BTW, it's sad to confess this, but it wasn't from the file name that I knew the maker...

Interesting. I don't know if I'm anywhere near stylish enough to pull those off.
Practice makes perfect!

I just won an auction for a new pair of PJs. I think the seller has mislabelled them in the auction as being from the maker's diffusion line, rather than the main line that the tags in the photos show, so I figure I've got them for about a third of retail, and probably about half of what they'd otherwise go for on eBay. Even if they're from the diffusion line, I only paid a few quid over standard eBay market value for them, so I'm happy anyway.
Old October 14 2011, 09:14 PM   #1541
Tora Ziyal
Rear Admiral

BTW, it's sad to confess this, but it wasn't from the file name that I knew the maker...
Holdfast, you are unique.
Tora Ziyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2011, 09:15 PM   #1542
doubleohfive
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to doubleohfive

I just ordered a subscription to my hometown's new magazine; I also spent some money on a few used CDs and vinyl records at Amoeba last night that I'd been eyeing.
doubleohfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14 2011, 09:23 PM   #1543
ares93
Commodore

Man City scarf for eight quid.

I find it extremely satisfying watching Jehovah's Witnesses through my window. After all, it takes an RFID lock, a titanium enhanced fireproof door and bullet-resistant glass to keep them out of the building.
ares93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15 2011, 03:46 AM   #1544
the 4th Hanson bro
I shot my eye out!

I thought you google image searched the photo, I'm sorry I discounted your encyclopedic knowledge of shoes and the ability to pick out a maker and line just by one picture of a shoe in 3/4 profile. You are truly amazing.

I just won an auction for a new pair of PJs. I think the seller has mislabelled them in the auction as being from the maker's diffusion line, rather than the main line that the tags in the photos show, so I figure I've got them for about a third of retail, and probably about half of what they'd otherwise go for on eBay. Even if they're from the diffusion line, I only paid a few quid over standard eBay market value for them, so I'm happy anyway.
Always nice to get an unexpected bargain.
Old October 15 2011, 03:41 PM   #1545
Holdfast

I thought you google image searched the photo, I'm sorry I discounted your encyclopedic knowledge of shoes and the ability to pick out a maker and line just by one picture of a shoe in 3/4 profile. You are truly amazing.
Well, to be honest it wasn't quite that amazing... I remember you mentioned liking J&M at some point in the past, and every shoe maker tends to photograph their shoes from a very slightly different angle for their catalogues, so if you're seen them at some point, that creates a visual memory associated with the maker. From there, it wasn't difficult to put 2+2 together.

So yeah, call it shoe logic rather than shoe idiot savantism...