Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Sports and Fitness

Sports and Fitness It's football, not soccer.

Old September 26 2011, 12:31 PM   #3931
Steve67
Commander

Re: (UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

I now love football to the exclusion of any other sport, but the players falling down in "agony" at the slightest contact--I'm looking at you Serie A players--is cringeworthy, especially since so many of these guys have tattoos all over themselves! If they could endure hours of the tattoo needle buzzing over every previously-unmutiliated part of their bodies, surely they can handle a knock or three. More red cards should be issued at these melodramatic and game-sullying drama queens.
Old September 26 2011, 12:34 PM   #3932
Roger Wilco
Admiral

Well, to be fair, those leg-on-leg hits do hurt a lot often. What I think is hilarious though is when a player rolls around holding his hands to his face after getting hit in the ankle or something.
Old September 26 2011, 12:43 PM   #3933
Steve67
Commander

Roger Wilco wrote: View Post
Well, to be fair, those leg-on-leg hits do hurt a lot often. What I think is hilarious though is when a player rolls around holding his hands to his face after getting hit in the ankle or something.
None more legendary than this one by Rivaldo.
Old September 26 2011, 01:51 PM   #3934
Starkers
Admiral

Bloody nacy boys, eh by 'eck, in my day player's broke their neck and kept going, in fact in 1954, Preston North End's Reg Sidebottom actually died in the 3rd minute, but refused to go off the pitch and ended up scoring a second half hat trick!
Starkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 04:52 PM   #3935
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Bert Trautmann - 1956 FA Cup final - broke his neck, and played on!
Old September 28 2011, 09:51 AM   #3936
Starkers
Admiral

Well would have been nice to go top, but three games unbeaten and in second place ain't half bad. Hope we can at least get a point against Leicester now.

I wonder how long McClaren has?

And Tevez, did he refuse to play, does anyone care?
Old September 28 2011, 07:57 PM   #3937
Angel4576
Rear Admiral

Forest -
Old October 2 2011, 07:20 PM   #3938
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I was amazed McClaren was in charge for the game today.

He will surely not be in charge for the next one!

Edit: ah, he's resigned!

Dave Jones, anyone?

Last edited by HappyDayRiot; October 2 2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: McClaren jumped before he was pushed
HappyDayRiot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2011, 08:41 PM   #3939
Starkers
Admiral

Well we got hammered but nobody'll care about that now...

Sorry Steve, I actually had a lot of time for you, but if you think the only way to do any good with Forest is to just sign PRem players then maybe this is the right decision. Probably shouldn't have taken the job in the first place.

Back to FC Twente?
Old October 2 2011, 08:41 PM   #3940
Jax
Admiral

3 goals in 15 minutes, thank fuck hes gone and also the chairman has stepped down too. I want Alan Curbishley
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2011, 12:35 PM   #3941
HappyDayRiot
Commodore

I don't know why Curbishley's name goes on anyone's wishlists anymore. He's been out of work for... 3 years, is it, since WHU forced him out?

I believe you need, like we did, to get a young up-and-coming manager with new ideas and a fresh outlook in, steady the ship for the season and regroup for a new tilt in a year or so. Getting Malky in is the best decision we've made in ages - it's like a new team, the pressure's off and we're able to enjoy games again. Early days of course!

Perhaps Derby might be even an even better example?
Old October 3 2011, 12:49 PM   #3942
Jax
Admiral

Curbishley gets his team sorted out and his track record is solid, he was sacked at West Ham for being midtable and then they got relegated. Good manager & knows what to do with limited funds.
If Fidelity to freedom and democracy is the code of our civic religion then surely the code of our humanity is faithful service to that unwritten commandment that says we shall give our children better than we ourselves received
Old October 3 2011, 09:02 PM   #3943
Starkers
Admiral

Thing is Dougherty is right, Forest have to learn to live within their means, and maybe McClaren was misinformed about what those means would be, but both he and Davies moaned instead of getting on with the job in hand. Maybe Clough is too much of a company man at times, but he's kept his head down and built a decent team on a shoestring rather than just wanting to sign name players like McClaren did.

I think there's probably a reason Curbishly is out of work, just another one of those managers whose best days are behind I think.
Old October 3 2011, 09:15 PM   #3944
Jax
Admiral

Davies was giving money and wasted it, Doughty allowed Billy to get away with too much despite what Billy may say. I loss count of the amount on strikers on the books under Billy. Its time to re-develop our academy, which has been shit for years. We need new coaches and a new way of running it because if we can't spend then we need to produce.
Old October 10 2011, 06:01 PM   #3945
Jax
Admiral

Rooney finds out on thursday what will be the punishment of his stupidity. I think it will only be 1 game though if he gets the maximum of 3 games then NO WAY he can go to 2012. Fabio says Rooney will not start any games before 2012, which is a little stupid because if its only 1 game you need to experiment with him as well as without.

ENG need to bulk the midfield to have any chance of making EURO 2012 look respectable. We have no chance of winning but if were very very good and just a little lucky we could make the last 4. I would take the last 8 if we actually played well and could take something away from it like Holland in Euro 2008 who then went to the WC final 2 years later. I would like to see a proper number 9 with young Owen esq pace, so I want to see Walcott up front and behind him "Parker, Wilshere and one of Gerrard/Cleverley"