RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,663
Members: 24,815
Currently online: 454
Newest member: AlphaZero

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 28 2011, 10:24 AM   #16
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga
Re: TCM Genre movies schedule...

Carnival of Souls is very good IMO. Dementia 13...its a lot of fun, but its an odd film. they're both odd, weird films really.
Old September 28 2011, 02:49 PM   #17
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

Klaus wrote: View Post
The Pit And The Pendulum and The Masque Of The Red Death are Vincent Price versions of Poe stories.

And the script for The Pit and the Pendulum was written by Richard Matheson, author of I Am Legend, The Incredible Shrinking Man, What Dreams May Come, etc.
Old September 28 2011, 11:28 PM   #18
RJDiogenes
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Praetor_Shinzon wrote: View Post
Carnival of Souls is very good IMO. Dementia 13...its a lot of fun, but its an odd film. they're both odd, weird films really.
Dementia 13 really must be watched late at night, alone in the dark.
Old October 5 2011, 07:53 PM   #19
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

doh! i forgot all about watching Freaks. gonna try and watch It! The Terror From Beyond Space later tonight though.
Old October 5 2011, 09:05 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

^Thanks for the thread bump. I didn't realize It! was tonight. I think I'll DVR Curse of Frankenstein too.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 04:45 PM   #21
Klaus
Rear Admiral

View Klaus's Twitter Profile

Just watched House of Wax, it's a kick to see Charles Bronson looking so creepy... he'd have made a good Frankenstein's monster back then. Some great Price lines in his tour of the new museum, too.

I actually first saw it in 3D -- there was a 70s revival release of it in theaters with the cardboard glasses and everything.
Klaus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 06:39 PM   #22
the G-man
Commodore

Sat 10/15
930am The Beast With Five Fingers (1946)
I remember watching this with my little brother on "Monster Movie Matinee" one Saturday. He was completely creeped out. So what did I do? Cut a hole in the bottom of a paper bag, stuck my hand in and asked him if he wanted a piece of candy.

His screams were wonderful.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 09:49 AM   #23
RJDiogenes

I wish I had recorded Curse Of Frankenstein. That's one I don't have, and I haven't seen it in ages.
Old October 10 2011, 01:28 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

I did decide to try out Curse of Frankenstein, since I don't think I've ever seen a Hammer horror film. It was okay, but the monster was rather underwhelming -- hideous, but not really posing that great a threat. And it didn't really capture the essence of the story, which was that Victor Frankenstein created an innocent being but rejected and hated it and thereby turned it bitter and vengeful. It is a novel twist seeing a version of Frankenstein who's blindly devoted to the monster no matter what it does (since he has Paul to blame for its failure to live up to his expectations), but it kinda takes the thematic depth away.

Old October 10 2011, 04:31 PM   #25
Leroy
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote:
nd it didn't really capture the essence of the story, which was that Victor Frankenstein created an innocent being but rejected and hated it and thereby turned it bitter and vengeful.
The only version like that I'm aware of is the 1994 film with Kenneth Branah as Victor and De Niro as the monster. Does anyone know of more Frankenstein films that are closer to the book?

I still really like Hammer horror films even the lesser ones they have a certain charm to them like the old universal monster movies.
Leroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 05:01 PM   #26
Greg Cox
Vice Admiral

fyi: TCM has a whole slate of classic horror movies tonight: The Wolf Man, The Uninvited (a great old ghost story), Dead of Night, Cat People, I Walked with a Zombie, etc.

My DVR is ready . . ..
Old October 10 2011, 05:22 PM   #27
Christopher
Writer

Leroy wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote:
nd it didn't really capture the essence of the story, which was that Victor Frankenstein created an innocent being but rejected and hated it and thereby turned it bitter and vengeful.
The only version like that I'm aware of is the 1994 film with Kenneth Branah as Victor and De Niro as the monster. Does anyone know of more Frankenstein films that are closer to the book?
I think the first couple of Karloff movies have sort of that same idea, at least vaguely. Karloff's monster has a certain innocence to him, and it's being locked away by Frankenstein and tormented by Fritz that drives him to lash out. There's a theme of the monster being misunderstood and persecuted, driven to violence in retaliation. And of course that theme has its culmination in the greatest of all Frankenstein movies, Young Frankenstein. If Shelley's novel is an allegory for the damage that an abusive or neglectful parent can inflict on a child, YF is an allegory for the healing power of a loving, forgiving parent.

Come to think of it, Cushing's Frankenstein in Curse has sort of the same mentality as Friedrich in Young Frankenstein -- he doesn't blame the creature for being hideous or violent, and wants to cure its neurological damage rather than rejecting it as a failure or a monstrosity. One wonders what Cuhsing's Victor could've achieved if he'd had someone more supportive aiding in his research rather than the violently self-righteous Paul. Then again, unlike Victor, Friedrich didn't deliberately commit murder to get the brain he wanted. While Friedrich was motivated by parental love, Victor was driven by blind obsession, seeing it only as an experiment. So I doubt he could've redeemed his creature in the same way.

Old October 10 2011, 08:13 PM   #28
RJDiogenes

I wish they'd schedule more of the Hammer films. I haven't seen most of them in decades.
Old October 10 2011, 09:03 PM   #29
Silvercrest
Rear Admiral

GAAAH! My DVD burner just died! Again! I've got all these TCM recordings and can't do anything with them!
Silvercrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 09:19 PM   #30
OmahaStar
Disrespectful of his betters

View OmahaStar's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to OmahaStar Send a message via Yahoo to OmahaStar

Silvercrest wrote: View Post
GAAAH! My DVD burner just died! Again! I've got all these TCM recordings and can't do anything with them!
You could, I don't know, watch them, maybe?