Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 22 2011, 12:47 AM   #91
Paradon
Rear Admiral

Re: The absolute worst captain in Star Trek

I thought we're talking about ST and this is ST forum? Who's else is there to talk about?? [chuckle]
Old September 22 2011, 04:06 PM   #92
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Oh, I don't know. Portraying Janeway as possibly being psychologically "uneven" makes the character interesting.
Captain Ahab was interesting, doesn't make him a good captain.
Old October 8 2011, 08:33 PM   #93
KirksStuntMan
Lieutenant Commander

Captain Kevin Thomas RIley, from TOS episode "The Naked Time", but it wasn't really his fault that he was acting strange because he was infected with the alien virus. Too bad, because his idea about a bowling alley on the Enterprise was pretty novel.
KirksStuntMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2011, 06:27 AM   #94
RaymondJames
Captain

Well, If you don't mind literature being open range then my vote is for Captain William T Riker. He made a hell of an XO but in the Titan series, a poor CO.
Old October 10 2011, 01:41 AM   #95
Stoek
Commander

View Stoek's Twitter Profile

Personally I stand firm with Commander Riker and his assessment of Jellico ...

You are arrogant and closed-minded. You need to control everything and everyone. You don't provide an atmosphere of trust, and you don't inspire these people to go out of their way for you. You've get everybody wound up so tight there's no joy in anything. I don't think you're a particularly good Captain.
Stoek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 06:19 AM   #96
Gary7
Rear Admiral

^ I'm glad you quoted that. I think Riker pretty much summed up Jellico to a "T". He may have been effective dealing with the Cardassians, but this other crucial aspect is a big issue... I'd never want to be in his chain of command.
Old October 10 2011, 08:29 AM   #97
Gov Kodos
Admiral

I thought Riker was a jackass in that episode. Jellico rules.
We are quicksilver, a fleeting shadow, a distant sound... our home has no boundaries beyond which we cannot pass. We live in music, in a flash of color... we live on the wind and in the sparkle of a star! Endora, Bewitched
Gov Kodos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 02:04 PM   #98
The Wormhole
Admiral

Thing about Jellico is, he's realistic. A captain can't be everyone's friend, and in the end results are the only thing that really matters.
Old October 10 2011, 03:04 PM   #99
Edit_XYZ
Fleet Captain

Stoek wrote: View Post

You are arrogant and closed-minded. You need to control everything and everyone. You don't provide an atmosphere of trust, and you don't inspire these people to go out of their way for you. You've get everybody wound up so tight there's no joy in anything. I don't think you're a particularly good Captain.
In that episode Jellico solved the cardassian problem - he showed that the federation had more value to him than his pride by begging Riker to do his duty.
Riker, on the other hand, was ready to commit treason - by not piloting the shuttle and ending an imminent cardassian attack on the federation - just because he was butthurt due to Jellico bruising his ego.

Jellico proved to be a FAR better man - and captain - than Riker.
Edit_XYZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 03:59 PM   #100
sonak
Vice Admiral

Gov Samhain wrote: View Post

the first part of that is true. The second part not so much. It's not an either/or thing. Both of them are in the wrong in COC. Jellico's rigid and inflexible, and seems to care nothing for the morale of his crew, which is a BAD quality for a CO.

Riker however should not be opposing him every step of the way, as he seems to do in the episodes. As XO, he's supposed to make things easier for Jellico, not act like a spoiled child who misses his mommy.
sonak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 02:51 AM   #101
USS Excelsior
Commodore

Jellico had all of this emphasis for preparing for battle but there's no crew more tested in battle than the Enterprise.
USS Excelsior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 06:05 PM   #102
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

sonak wrote: View Post
Gov Samhain wrote: View Post

the first part of that is true. The second part not so much. It's not an either/or thing. Both of them are in the wrong in COC. Jellico's rigid and inflexible, and seems to care nothing for the morale of his crew, which is a BAD quality for a CO.

Riker however should not be opposing him every step of the way, as he seems to do in the episodes. As XO, he's supposed to make things easier for Jellico, not act like a spoiled child who misses his mommy.
But then there's this to consider from that episode:

RIKER: As First Officer, it is my responsibility to point out any actions that may be mistakes by a commanding officer. sir.

I think that was the position that Riker was coming from. We can go back even further in time to Star Trek: The Motion Picture in which Decker offered a different course of action to Kirk:

DECKER: Captain, as your Exec, it's my duty to point out alternatives.

The difference is in how their commanding officers handled an opinion that was different from theirs. Kirk acknowledged that Decker was indeed just doing his duty, while Jellico relieved Riker of his and threatened to confine him to quarters.

But as you mentioned, both Riker and Jellico were in the wrong--Riker protested a bit too much and Jellico didn't like having his orders questioned. Both overreactions likely a result of neither man remotely liking the other, IMO...
Old October 11 2011, 06:19 PM   #103
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Stoek wrote: View Post

And yet he seemed to get along with Geordi and Troi near the end well enough and he seemed to have a good relationship with Data there as well.
Hartzilla2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 07:25 PM   #104
Satyrquaze
Vice Admiral

Makes me wonder if they weren't trying to create a dynamic not unlike Gene Hackman and Denzel Washington in Crimson Tide...

It certainly would have been fun if they had gone all the way with it.
Old October 12 2011, 12:45 AM   #105
Gary7
Rear Admiral

I think CE Evans summed it up pretty well.

Jellico didn't need to address any "honeymoon" period with the crew. However, he did absolutely NOTHING to settle their nerves about the sudden change in captaincy. True, Riker balked a little too much in the beginning, but he got his act in gear fairly soon afterward. Still, Jellico pushed everybody seriously hard, relentlessly so with no sign of compassion. Just "Get it done!". Just remember Geordi's reaction to his orders. And he's usually capable of taking a lot without complaining. But the main problem is that Jellico was ignorant of the time constraints in what was ordered. He simply dictated without any measure of inquiry about the ramifications. You want 4 shifts? Well, OK--the crew isn't going to be as steady/ready as you please.