Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 8 2011, 11:02 PM   #1
rfmcdpei
Captain

View rfmcdpei's Twitter Profile
Any Treklit on the Borg and the rest of the Alpha Quadrant?

In their two decades of incursions in the Alpha Quadrant, the Borg seem to have focused their attentions on the Federation, and on the Federation's central world of Earth. This makes sense, even for reasons unrelated to Borg origins: the Federation was the largest political entity in the area, and its technology was at very worst on par with the regional average, more likely somewhat above.

The TV series did suggest that the Borg had an interest in other powers, though. The Neutral Zone outpost scoopings were as much on the Romulan side of that frontier as on the Federation side, and the Klingons had apparently sent warships to Wolf 359. Outside of the TV series, Ruriko Tenmei (and several dozen others) were lost preventing the Borg's assimilation of Cardassian Krem Varuda's AI in 2369, the "Operation Assimilation" comic from 1997 showed the Borg's 2364 Neutral Zone incursion from the Romulan perspective, and the Strange New World story "Suicide Note" suggested Alidar Jarok defected substantially because he and his allies were very concerned by reports of the Borg obtained from Romulan probes deep in the Beta Quadrant.

Are there any other notable encounters between the Borg and the Federation's neighbours in Treklit?
rfmcdpei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 11:39 PM   #2
Christopher
Writer

Re: Any Treklit on the Borg and the rest of the Alpha Quadrant?

Well, there's at least one Strange New Worlds story about the Borg vs. the Tribbles...

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2011, 03:48 AM   #3
David cgc
Vice Admiral

"Vendetta" had the Borg encountering a Ferengi ship.
Old October 9 2011, 03:24 PM   #4
Idran
Commander

Not trying to be nitpicky or anything, I'm honestly not 100% certain, but I thought the Romulans were in the Beta Quadrant?
Idran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2011, 06:07 PM   #5
Christopher
Writer

Idran wrote: View Post
Not trying to be nitpicky or anything, I'm honestly not 100% certain, but I thought the Romulans were in the Beta Quadrant?
Yes, they are, but it's a long-standing custom in onscreen Trek to use "Alpha Quadrant" as a shorthand for "the territory of the Federation and its neighbors, which is mostly in the Alpha Quadrant but extends into the Beta Quadrant as well." It's much the same as how Europe is considered part of "the West" even though most of it is in the Eastern Hemisphere.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9 2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Deranged Nasat
Vice Admiral

Location: Presenting my proposed Enforced Continuity Bill to a reluctant Federation government.

Christopher wrote: View Post
Idran wrote: View Post
Yes, they are, but it's a long-standing custom in onscreen Trek to use "Alpha Quadrant" as a shorthand for "the territory of the Federation and its neighbors, which is mostly in the Alpha Quadrant but extends into the Beta Quadrant as well." It's much the same as how Europe is considered part of "the West" even though most of it is in the Eastern Hemisphere.
At least you had Vale flounder over this in Over A Torrent Sea.