RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,756
Posts: 5,216,397
Members: 24,216
Currently online: 887
Newest member: kasmuruis

TrekToday headlines

Q Meets NuTrek Crew
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

Pine In Talks For Drama
By: T'Bonz on Apr 18

New X-Men: Days of Future Past Trailer
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Nimoy to Receive Award
By: T'Bonz on Apr 17

Star Trek Special: Flesh and Stone Comic
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

These Are The Voyages TOS Season Two Book Review
By: T'Bonz on Apr 16

Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Movies > Star Trek Movies I-X

Star Trek Movies I-X Discuss the first ten big screen outings in this forum!

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old January 11 2011, 11:08 PM   #31
Kamdan
Lieutenant Commander
 
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

The Blu is much more closer to the film print I saw a couple of years ago.
Kamdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2011, 07:13 AM   #32
SMC
Lieutenant
 
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

[QUOTE=Ryann866;4439087]
Arlo wrote: View Post
Isn't there something going on with digital scrubbing or DNR on these blu-rays? Especially Trek III & IV. The picture seems really off, like it was sliced out and pasted on top. I noticed this when I played them too, but it's clear in these photos.
All of the Star Trek original and next gen blu ray releases (apart from Abrams Trek) had DNR and edge enhancement applied to one degree or another. The best looking transfers are TMP and TWOK, both of which were brand new masters, TWOK itself recieving a fairly extensive cleanup. Both appear to have a light application of DNR which isn't really obtrusive or unpleasant and both have a fairly convincing film-like appearance. Trek III has noticeably heavier DNR but its main problem seems to be the edge enhancement which leads to that "cut out" look, though I still think on balance its a fairly good transfer and at times clarity and depth are startling. Trek IV is a mess though, both DNR and edge enhancement are totally over the top, but IMO the worst of the lot is TUC which is so scrubbed and processed that in some scenes, entire facial features are wiped away and faces lose their eyes or nostrils and even mouths!
SMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12 2011, 08:13 AM   #33
Phantassm
Vice Admiral
 
Phantassm's Avatar
 
Location: Oklahoma City
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

J. Allen wrote: View Post
22 Stars wrote: View Post
Well the rest of the film looks great, the live action stuff looks very sharp, and the shift toward the cooler white balance isn't that upsetting, some might even like it. But these FX shots just look like crap, and it's a shame.
Agreed. I had to put in the blu-ray to see if it was true, and you're right. I had never noticed it! I mean, I can still easily enjoy the movie, but I was surprised to find that whole section went unnoticed by me. The rest of the film does look terrific, so I can let this slide because I just enjoy the whole movie. Well, that, and I gave away my DVDs a long time ago.
I'm with you. I got my set and watched all the films and this went totally by my eyes. I still enjoyed the film very much so and these changes didn't bother me at all. I agree that the warmer hues look much better though.
__________________
"To Boldly Go!"
Phantassm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 05:07 PM   #34
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

Fun to revisit this thread. I think for those who seem to remember the cooler color temps, look at all the printed promo material from the time. It all shows Regula as brown, not grey. I believe the intent of the f/x crew was to depict it as brown.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 05:58 PM   #35
JJohnson
Captain
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

I would love to see completely new masters of all the movies, including TWOK, removing all dirt, grime, grain, etc., and taking care of any and all matte lines, enhancing the FX with CG where necessary to correct errors or simply to enhance the scene to the director's original intent. Give us the Director's Edition of TMP on Blu Ray!
JJohnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 06:44 PM   #36
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

For me, the new colour timing on TWOK is far more naturalistic and film like than any of the previous home video releases. Probably, neither are correct with reference to the original release, but I do feel the BD is far closer (skin tones particularly) than the strong red push on all previous efforts.

Yes the BD's all have some level of DNR applied, but believe me, there is no better way to view (or listen to) these films at home currently. Try the DVD's out on a very large display!
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 06:59 PM   #37
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

JJohnson wrote: View Post
I would love to see completely new masters of all the movies, including TWOK, removing all dirt, grime, grain, etc., and taking care of any and all matte lines, enhancing the FX with CG where necessary to correct errors or simply to enhance the scene to the director's original intent. Give us the Director's Edition of TMP on Blu Ray!
I agree about TMP Director's Edition. I was JUST watching it on DVD yesterday, while playing the podcast only available from Trek.com Very enjoyable and informative, but the DVD on my 1080p projector just doesn't hold up.

I love that they specifically say on this bonus commentary that they are ready to move forward on an HD version as soon as Paramount gives them the OK and money.... and that STILL hasn't happened yet
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 07:01 PM   #38
22 Stars
Commodore
 
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
For me, the new colour timing on TWOK is far more naturalistic and film like than any of the previous home video releases. Probably, neither are correct with reference to the original release, but I do feel the BD is far closer (skin tones particularly) than the strong red push on all previous efforts.

Yes the BD's all have some level of DNR applied, but believe me, there is no better way to view (or listen to) these films at home currently. Try the DVD's out on a very large display!
I have no qualms with the skin tones and live action stuff in the bluray ST II. But the FX shots are just wrong, plain and simple. I would sooner watch it in HD from a cable tv source than watch the bluray.
22 Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6 2011, 07:34 PM   #39
LOKAI of CHERON
Fleet Captain
 
LOKAI of CHERON's Avatar
 
Location: Post-apocalyptic ruins of my once mighty Homeworld.
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

22 Stars wrote: View Post
LOKAI of CHERON wrote: View Post
For me, the new colour timing on TWOK is far more naturalistic and film like than any of the previous home video releases. Probably, neither are correct with reference to the original release, but I do feel the BD is far closer (skin tones particularly) than the strong red push on all previous efforts.

Yes the BD's all have some level of DNR applied, but believe me, there is no better way to view (or listen to) these films at home currently. Try the DVD's out on a very large display!
I have no qualms with the skin tones and live action stuff in the bluray ST II. But the FX shots are just wrong, plain and simple. I would sooner watch it in HD from a cable tv source than watch the bluray.
Each to their own, 22! . For me, the BD is technically an appreciable improvement all round. And - it's the far superior theatrical cut to boot.
__________________
YOU MONOTONE HUMANS ARE ALL ALIKE... FIRST YOU CONDEMN, THEN ATTACK.
LOKAI of CHERON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 01:09 AM   #40
Borjis
Commodore
 
Borjis's Avatar
 
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

I do Color Correction for a living.....this is just wrong.

This is happening a lot....anyone read about "The French Connection" debacle?

The director supervised the new transfer and had all the colors wacked out and thats how he wanted it. for shame!

There are a lot of folks making these final decisions (don't blame the colorist first...) that have no business doing so.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 02:34 AM   #41
DonIago
Rear Admiral
 
Location: Burlington, VT, USA
View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

A director of a film has no business saying how he wants the film to look?
__________________
--DonIago
It was the best of Trek, it was the worst of Trek...
"If I lean over, I leave myself open to wedgies, wet willies, or even the dreaded Rear Admiral!"
DonIago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 8 2011, 04:03 AM   #42
Brikar99
Rear Admiral
 
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

Borjis wrote: View Post
I do Color Correction for a living.....this is just wrong.

This is happening a lot....anyone read about "The French Connection" debacle?

The director supervised the new transfer and had all the colors wacked out and thats how he wanted it. for shame!

There are a lot of folks making these final decisions (don't blame the colorist first...) that have no business doing so.
I did read about that. It was...
__________________
SNW 9: 'Mestral' - 'Ninja Werewolf Assassins!' - Movie/TV reviews: For Reelz
Brikar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 06:42 PM   #43
Borjis
Commodore
 
Borjis's Avatar
 
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

DonIago wrote: View Post
A director of a film has no business saying how he wants the film to look?
Watch "The French Connection" from an older dvd.

Then watch the blu-ray and decide for yourself.


The enterprise & moon should not be blue-cast in my opinion.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10 2011, 06:50 PM   #44
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral
 
JarodRussell's Avatar
 
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

It also doesn't make much sense for Regula to be blue-ish, because it's lit by the Mutara Nebula, which was mostly red-ish.
__________________
lol
l
/\
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 07:18 PM   #45
Borjis
Commodore
 
Borjis's Avatar
 
Re: TWOK on Bluray FX question

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
It also doesn't make much sense for Regula to be blue-ish, because it's lit by the Mutara Nebula, which was mostly red-ish.
exactly!

And Regula is warm (red) in all the other shots.
Borjis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
blu-ray, bluray, dvd, star trek ii, twok

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 09:53 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.