MicroWarriors Releases Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Jul 25

Ships Of The Line Design Contest

Next Weekend: Shore Leave 36!

True Trek History To Be Penned

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old October 4 2011, 08:28 PM   #16
Defcon
Rear Admiral

View Defcon's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek: Typhon Pact: The Struggle Within (ebook) review thread

If I'm not mistaken pretty much every eBook seller except Amazon, which has its own format, is selling epubs, since it its the industry standard.

But I've a Kindle, so no idea which eBook sellers sell Star Trek eBooks to the Netherlands, sorry.
Defcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2011, 08:30 PM   #17
Mage
Commodore

Defcon wrote: View Post
If I'm not mistaken pretty much every eBook seller except Amazon, which has its own format, is selling epubs, since it its the industry standard.

But I've a Kindle, so no idea which eBook sellers sell Star Trek eBooks to the Netherlands, sorry.

Really? Didn't know that. I'll look into it.
Old October 5 2011, 05:17 AM   #18
ATimson
Rear Admiral

Astraea wrote: View Post
Despite not owning an e-reader, I want to buy this. I know that I can download Nook or Kindle apps for PC that will allow me to read e-books on my computer. Is there any difference in the formatting/layout, or any other reason, to purchase the Nook version over the Kindle (or vice versa)?
If all you care about is the content, both programs will work fine for most novels. (If there's any maps or other images, though, the Nook version will have higher-quality versions.)

But while I don't know if this applies to "The Struggle Within" in particular, the Nook version will allow for prettier formatting, custom fonts*, etc. that the Kindle version can't have.

* I'd bet that it does have custom fonts, simply because that's something S&S has become fond of over the last few months.

"...don't mistake a few fans bitching on the Internet for any kind of trend." - Keith R.A. DeCandido
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 12:51 PM   #19
PKS8304
Lieutenant Commander

Finished it last night, excellent addition to the Typhon Pact story and on its own a very enjoyable read. As I said before it was like I sat down to an episode of the series.
Nice character development on some of the newer characters as well as the original.
If I have one negative thing to say, and its not really a bad thing, I waited for Geordi to show up but no La Forge this time around.
Oh well, I still have to read Indistinguishable From Magic and it looks like he is in that plenty lol
Highly recommend this!!!
PKS8304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 02:39 PM   #20
Christopher
Writer

I didn't have a role for Geordi in this story. And as you say, he'd just been heavily featured in Indistinguishable from Magic.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 04:19 PM   #21
PKS8304
Lieutenant Commander

and I would much rather you leave a character like Geordi out than have him there for the sake of sticking hiim somewheres.
As I said, really enjoyed it and I look forward to reading more of your books
PKS8304 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 04:39 PM   #22
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
I didn't have a role for Geordi in this story. And as you say, he'd just been heavily featured in Indistinguishable from Magic.
A 100 page e-story? I didn't know they were following up the 4 novels. Congrats Chris.

RAMA
Old October 5 2011, 04:59 PM   #23
BrotherBenny
Rear Admiral

View BrotherBenny's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to BrotherBenny Send a message via Yahoo to BrotherBenny

RAMA wrote: View Post
A 100 page e-story? I didn't know they were following up the 4 novels. Congrats Chris.

RAMA
You need to rendezvous with us a little more often.

My blog / My crime stories
BrotherBenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 06:25 PM   #24
Christopher
Writer

By the way, I appreciate the positive reviews. I admit I had my doubts about whether I'd been able to make the story work.

Preliminary discussion is available at my website now. I haven't done annotations yet.

Old October 5 2011, 06:41 PM   #25
Relayer1
Commodore

By the way, I appreciate the positive reviews. I admit I had my doubts about whether I'd been able to make the story work.

Preliminary discussion is available at my website now. I haven't done annotations yet.
As I don't do E-Books, where does this stand re a paper copy ? Is there any more shorter Trek fiction coming that it could be compiled with ?
Old October 5 2011, 06:59 PM   #26
Christopher
Writer

^Don't hold your breath. It'll probably be years before there's a hardcopy edition.

And, you know, you could always try an e-book...

Old October 5 2011, 07:03 PM   #27
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

@ mage download the barns and nobel app and you can get any star trek book currently aviable on there web site. all so you can down load the kindel app both are free.

all so will pick it up next week pay week can't wait.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 07:39 PM   #28
Relayer1
Commodore

^Don't hold your breath. It'll probably be years before there's a hardcopy edition.

And, you know, you could always try an e-book...
I've been warned about authors like you - 'just try one, and when you want some more, you know where to come...'
Old October 5 2011, 09:24 PM   #29
fleetcaptain
Fleet Captain

View fleetcaptain's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to fleetcaptain Send a message via Yahoo to fleetcaptain

Going to download the Kindle app to my droid so I can read this. Been waiting to read it since I first heard about it and really want to after all of the positive reviews so far.
fleetcaptain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 10:29 PM   #30
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

I feel like it was a really great Christopher novel sadly compressed down to an outline + moral lectures. A story that could really have demonstrated all the stuff it wanted to, but was prevented from doing so by rushed pacing.

Doesn't help that such a short story was priced at $6. I'd have really enjoyed paying $6 to read this story done well. Paying for this feels like...paying for a work in progress. Bleh.

It did, on the other hand, manage to do what I'd been hoping for from the whole Typhon Pact but got very little of, which was show how involvement in the Pact was changing the members of the Pact. So nice job there. And I liked that it referenced all the earlier Pact books, and I love the Tzenkethi sooooo much (they were the highlight of Rough Beasts for me, and kicked ass here again), and Jasminder's character arc was awesome (though Christopher does rely a bit much on having characters decide that their earlier characterizations by other authors were wrong and they need to get better, but I digress), and it was certainly thematically appropriate to recent events.

But MAN I really wanted a novel. And this should've been one. I felt the same way about Places of Exile, but this was like 12x as bad. It would seem Christopher just thinks too big for this kind of story size.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote