Sci-Fried To Release New Album
By: T'Bonz on Jul 28

Star Trek/Planet of the Apes Crossover

Star Trek into Darkness Soundtrack

Horse 1, Shatner 0

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 29 2011, 02:09 AM   #76
David cgc
Vice Admiral

Re: "Castle" season 4 begins tonight

You see, this is why you set up a big stock of recurring day-players, so you always have someone vaguely familiar to use for surprising revelations or to kill off when the situation gets serious. It worked great for the new Battlestar Galactica.
Old September 29 2011, 03:09 AM   #77
Christopher
Writer

^And somewhat surprisingly for a show noted for lack of continuity, Star Trek: Voyager did a good job in its first couple of seasons with introducing recurring characters so there'd be some weight to it when they were killed off or turned traitor or whatever.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2011, 06:53 AM   #78
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

An okay science fiction attempt this episode. I did like the Marlow Prep reference! A school named after the series creator. Alexis struggling to deal with her rejection was a nice surprise. Molly Quinn does a wonderful job with the character. It seems like they are continue teasing "Casket" fans like myself for a while longer. This is reminding of X-Files to a degree and has a Mulder and Scully feel about it. I'm wondering if Marlowe and the rest of the writing team are worried that the show will jump the shark if he does bring Kate and Rick together. I hope not. I'm really cheering for them to get together, the shipper in me is one of the reasons why I love this show so much.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4 2011, 06:37 PM   #79
Christopher
Writer

Interesting how they were able to get what was essentially a science fiction story in terms of the characters' motivations and goals, but in a non-SF context because cryonics facilities like this actually do exist. It just underlines how much we're already living in the science fiction future, even if we don't have flying cars and moon cities yet.

I've found Alexis unrecognizably emotional and quick-tempered this season, but maybe this episode explains it; maybe she's been stressed out because of her anticipation of getting into Stanford. I hope so. I hope she goes back to being the level-headed Alexis we know and love instead of the drama queen she's been so far this season.

And I'd bet that her rejection from Stanford is a way to set up having her attend college in NYC so she stays part of the show.

Old October 4 2011, 06:43 PM   #80
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Well Alexis has kind of been distracted lately with trying to balance her ambition and scholastic desires with her relationship with her boyfriend. It's out of character for her because she hasn't had this much drama in her life before. She's growing up and finally realizing how difficult things are. Castle himself has pointed out the differences with Alexis over the last little while. I wouldn't go so far as calling her a drama queen, she's just having an difficult time with things right now.

Old October 4 2011, 10:08 PM   #81
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Who is the guy who played the owner/head of the cryogenics company?
Old October 4 2011, 10:38 PM   #82
Christopher
Writer

I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
IIRC, that was William Atherton of Ghostbusters fame.

Old October 4 2011, 11:09 PM   #83
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ It was indeed. I thought for sure we would get a Peck joke of somekind from Castle...but maybe too meta.

Old October 5 2011, 05:15 AM   #84
timothy
Rear Admiral

View timothy's Twitter Profile Send a message via Yahoo to timothy

this weeks episode was okay. I enjoyed the chase sceen with the frozen head.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/honorverse
timothy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 05:53 AM   #85
FPAlpha
Rear Admiral

I liked the implant/boob joke by Beckett.. shows how far they've come in their relationship. Back in season 1 she wouldn't dream of mentioning anything boob related to Castle

Very nice case.. something unusual with a tragic ending that sets it apart from the other cases.

Also liked Molly this episode.. growing up is hard to do and there are tough lessons for all of us and now it's Molly's turn. Castle handled it very well showing that despite all his antics and teenage actions he's still mature and an adult when the situation calls for it. It was clear Beckett wouldn't die in the season finale much as it was clear that Molly wouldn't leave the show but nevertheless the writers managed to make it believable and get a good character moment out of it.

As to the Beckett/Castle relationship.. i think the writers (and Marlowe) are really worried to take that final step. They do want to as well as the actors judging from the interviews i saw/read but they are taking it slow. They took a big leap in the season finale and have found a somewhat believable way to prolong the inevitable just a bit more but if by the end of the season nothing major has happened i think they'll tread in very thin ice (and that's not only the shipper in me) because you just can't keep throwing us longing looks and innuendos for multiple seasons without it losing its appeal.
Old October 5 2011, 01:40 PM   #86
Forbin
Admiral

^You'd think TV writers would have learned such a thing from the zillion other "will they/won't they" shows since Moonlighting, Remington Steele and Cheers.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 02:41 PM   #87
I Grok Spock
Fleet Captain

Christopher wrote: View Post
I Grok Spock wrote: View Post
IIRC, that was William Atherton of Ghostbusters fame.
Thanks! It was one of those times I just couldn't place the face.
Old October 5 2011, 05:17 PM   #88
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^He was also the douchebag reporter in Die Hard.

I liked the episode but was anyone else slightly annoyed by the unrealistic depiction of the cryonics facility? It wasn't enough to take me out of the show but it was enough that I commented on it to my wife.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 05:44 PM   #89
Forbin
Admiral

Yeah, that annoyed me too. I muttered to my wife that they don't have windows with blue lights inside. But hey, dramatic license.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5 2011, 06:03 PM   #90
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

^Yeah, I figured they were really trying to spell it out for those who don't have the first clue what cryonics is. Still, I found it a little difficult to believe that neither Castle nor Becket knew what the place was until it was explained to them.
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote