Orci Drops Rangers Project
By: T'Bonz on Sep 22

Retro Review: Image in the Sand
By: Michelle on Sep 20

Star Trek: Shadows Of Tyranny Casting Call
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

USS Vengeance And More Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 28 2011, 04:00 PM   #16
Top41

Re: Hawaii 5-0: The Second Season Begins!

I caught the second episode Monday night and really liked it. I think what I liked best about this show is just how much fun it is to watch--the action is outlandish but exciting and the dialogue is funny. Steve and Danny's bickering is always my favorite, and I love how the new girl just point blank asked them, "How long have you guys been married?" They really do bicker like a married couple, with Steve as the clueless and sometimes over-attentive husband and Danny as the nagging wife.

Speaking of the new girl, I really liked her. I thought it was cute how she and Steve went from making eyes at each other to both protesting having to work together. I like that she's tough and competent but her introduction wasn't like, "oh, look, she's the bestest ever!" Procedurals do that with new characters a lot and it's annoying, so I'm glad they didn't go that route here.

I'm trying to figure out whether Jenna Kaye is the world's best actress or if Wo Fat is holding her fiance hostage and blackmailing her. I'm kind of hoping for just plain evil (with a good motivation of course). I wonder when she'll be back, and when the team will find out that she's been helping out the enemy.
Old September 29 2011, 11:11 PM   #17
cardinal biggles
THE ZEPPO

Send a message via ICQ to cardinal biggles Send a message via AIM to cardinal biggles Send a message via Yahoo to cardinal biggles

I'm sure Jenna will be back sooner than later. I really want her to be the best actress ever, and for us to find out that she's played Steve the whole time.

Also, Tom Sizemore looks like shit. Really a shame what he's done to himself over the years.
"For those of you playing the home game, this is what is known as a 'Prince Albert'. And I'm sure that was his last wish. 'Victoria, I'm dying. I want you to name a museum, a performance hall, and a bolt through the cock after me.'"
—Robin Williams, Live on Broadway
cardinal biggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 2 2011, 12:07 AM   #18
Top41

^Yeah, I'm really hoping we find out she was playing Steve and the team. The only thing we can definitely say she did that certainly seems legit is that she figured out what the poison was when Danny got sick at the end of last season. You'd think if she was evil evil, she would have let Danny die. But then, maybe the writers hadn't decided then that she was going to double-cross Steve. I can't wait for her to come back so we can figure out what her deal really is.

Tom Sizemore did look pretty bad, yeah.
Old October 2 2011, 08:13 PM   #19
JD
Admiral

This season has definitely gotten off to a good start. While I am dissapointed to see Grace Park go, I do like the new girl. But I did notice she was just a guest star, so does that mean she's not a permanent addition? As for Jenna Kaye, I'm not real sure what to think right now. They definitely want us to think she's just evil, but they like to do that and then have it turn out they were being manipulated or blackmailed or something.
Old October 2 2011, 11:44 PM   #20
spinnerlys
Commander

JD wrote: View Post
This season has definitely gotten off to a good start. While I am dissapointed to see Grace Park go,
Is she leaving the series?
spinnerlys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2011, 01:48 AM   #21
Aragorn
Admiral

Grace Park isn't going anywhere.

No one here sees where the Kono storyline is going from a mile away? This isn't exactly the deepest show on TV.
Aragorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3 2011, 02:39 AM   #22
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Yeah, Park is a series regular this year. She isn't going anywhere. I bet the new character (who, currently, seems to be a needless addition*) has an extended guest run with the option to later be picked up as a regular (assuming, TPTB think the character works).

* Yes, I don't care for her just quite yet. I think the biggest problem I have is that she was haphazardly introduced in the show with a purpose that is very ill-defined and portrayed. Apparently the new governor wants her to provide some sort of oversight to the Five-O team. That's not a bad idea in itself as it can create some good conflict.

Where I have problems is that she didn't want the position let alone know that she was going to be assigned it until a minute beforehand. She then continued to protest it. What kind of good, honest oversight can she possibly provide for a position that she was dumped into that she didn't know existed nor want?

It seems like the writers were juggling with two concepts and just decided to smash them together.
Old October 3 2011, 08:44 PM   #23
JD
Admiral

I thought they announced a few months back that Grace Park was leaving, and that they were bringing in a new female character to replace her.
Old October 3 2011, 11:10 PM   #24
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

No.
Old October 11 2011, 04:07 PM   #25
Top41

I wasn't crazy about the third episode, but I really liked last night's ep. I like stuff where they delve into Hawaiian history/culture--I had no idea about the special currency printed during WWII!

Subtlety is not this show's strong suit. I knew as soon as Steve started asking Joe about getting an answer back from the DOD about the tape that Joe either hadn't sent it or was hiding the answer. I wonder if Joe knows more than he's letting on--I hope so. Much as I like Terry O'Quinn, Joe could use a little depth as a character.

Also not subtle is Kono's undercover mission. If I have to see her pout and glare like a teenager at Chin one more time, I'm going to throw something at my TV. I did like that Chin's response at the end was simply, I'm going to be here for you, as opposed to chewing her out like I was expecting. From the preview, it looks like things will come to a head next week.

Steve always gets so pissy when Danno flirts on the job. And yet, it's okay for Steve to take a detour and leave Danno sitting in the car so he can see his hook up buddy? Steve's double standards never cease to amuse me. It makes the character more human I think.

I think it's a good thing for Danno that he's moving on from Rachel, but I wish they wouldn't just drop that storyline. I miss seeing Danno interact with Grace, and also, I want to see the tension between Danno and Rachel now that she's back with Stan and carrying Stan's kid. I feel really bad for Danno--the poor guy just wants his family back.

I liked Lori's compassion for the mother--that would be a really hard situation to be in. Overall, I really liked this ep! Did anyone else watch?
Old October 11 2011, 04:36 PM   #26
Marc
Fleet Admiral

Send a message via ICQ to Marc

Top41 wrote: View Post

Steve always gets so pissy when Danno flirts on the job. And yet, it's okay for Steve to take a detour and leave Danno sitting in the car so he can see his hook up buddy? Steve's double standards never cease to amuse me. It makes the character more human I think.
Speaking of Steve's hookup buddy - wondered if her TDY was due to her perhaps stepping on toes doing the stuff for McGarrett or just one of those military things that happen.

Pres. Merkin P. Muffly
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11 2011, 09:52 PM   #27
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Two things:

1) I really don't like Generic Blond Cop. One of the things that I loved about the first season is that each of the characters/actors are believable in their respective roles. For whatever reason, she isn't. Making the matter worse is that her character isn't interesting.

2) Even more of an issue: Where is Danny's tie??

Steve always gets so pissy when Danno flirts on the job.
I think it was just Steve giving Danny more of a hard time than anything else especially since Danny always seems to chide Steve about playing by the rules.
Old October 12 2011, 04:06 PM   #28
Top41

Marc wrote: View Post

Speaking of Steve's hookup buddy - wondered if her TDY was due to her perhaps stepping on toes doing the stuff for McGarrett or just one of those military things that happen.
Oooh, I didn't think of that, but that does make a lot of sense--and would imply that Joe's intentions might be more nefarious than simply protecting Steve and his family's reputation.

Team Broccoli wrote: View Post
Two things:

1) I really don't like Generic Blond Cop. One of the things that I loved about the first season is that each of the characters/actors are believable in their respective roles. For whatever reason, she isn't. Making the matter worse is that her character isn't interesting.
I'm on the fence about her. I liked her in her first episode, but she hasn't really distinguished herself since. I think she's kind of inoffensive so far, but I don't see anything really special either. BUT--there's nothing more annoying than a new person coming in and having all the answers/being super cop, so I do like that they haven't gone that route with her.

2) Even more of an issue: Where is Danny's tie??
I miss that, too! He was so cute with the ties, and I love how much it bothered Steve that he wore them. I thought it was funny that in the premiere, Steve is sitting in jail and the fact that Danny isn't wearing a tie makes him smile and elicits a comment.

Steve always gets so pissy when Danno flirts on the job.
I think it was just Steve giving Danny more of a hard time than anything else especially since Danny always seems to chide Steve about playing by the rules.
Oh yeah--in the car, definitely. But he seemed annoyed in the museum itself, and in the past he's told Danny to "focus" (that's always his word) whenever some pretty girl catches Danny's eye. I like little character continuity bits like that.
Old October 12 2011, 08:58 PM   #29
Alrik
Rear Admiral

Marc wrote: View Post
I kind of wondered about that too. As far as the series? I haven't missed a single minute since episode 1. Hawaii 5-0 is my only 'must see' currently on tv. I just love the way it has been written and acted. And the nods to the original have been great.
Alrik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13 2011, 03:40 PM   #30
Top41

^It's my current fav, too--it's just so much fun. I just enjoy the hell out of it. I think it's the characters--I really like them and their interactions. Love, love, love the banter between Steve and Danno.