New Funko Trek Figure
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Saldana As A Role Model

San Diego Comic-Con Trek Fan Guide

Cumberbatch As Turing

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 27 2011, 04:05 AM   #31
jk82
Lieutenant

Re: Where Was Shatner At The Enterprise Shuttle Rollout?

Admiral M wrote: View Post
. Nimoy is universally liked by TOS cast and even used his clout with the producers to ensure that they all got a decent amount of screen time and salary.

Just curious: Mr. Nimoy mentioned that while making one of ST movies he came across a regular cast member on the way home after a day of work so he said Good Night to that person politely but was totally ignored. The next day he asked that person why he was ignored and the said person lashed out and said "what do you expect!" He was kinda taken aback by that response. Who could that person be? Not Mr. Shatner for sure, but who else could it be?

Mr. Nimoy also acknowledged that he was angry a lot, not at Mr. Shatner, but at the studios and the producers during the making of ST:TOS. I am glad that he found success in playing Spock and later on became a successful director, writer, producer, and photographer. Now he doesn't have to be angry at anyone anymore.

Perhaps, success does help alleviate anger and hatred. Lack of success on the other hand...
jk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 04:09 AM   #32
jk82
Lieutenant

Navigator_NCC2120 wrote: View Post
Thanks CRA. Where did you get that info from?

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
From Star Trek Memories, written by Mr. Shatner. He also mentioned it in Up Till Now and in numerous convention appearances and numerous taped interviews. He appreciates Mr. Nimoy's support and friendship so much that he considers "Devil in the Dark" his most favorite TOS episode.

MANT! wrote: View Post
As to the original topic...

Filming... "Kingdom of the Spiders"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_the_Spiders
I did a little math and figured out he made quite a handsome amount of money from this project. Over a million dollars I believe. Not bad for a movie made for half a million dollars. He is rather delightful in this movie.
Old September 27 2011, 04:36 AM   #33
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

Thanks jk82.

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 04:42 AM   #34
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

MrJ wrote: View Post
While it is true that Shatner and Nimoy have become best friends, they weren't particularly close during the three years while making TOS.
IIRC, their friendship blossomed during ST V, when Shatner realised what a tricky job directing a good Star Trek movie could put one through.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 03:38 PM   #35
Doug Otte
Fleet Captain

While it is true that Shatner and Nimoy have become best friends, they weren't particularly close during the three years while making TOS. After reading Gene Roddenberry's biography and Herb Solow and Robert Justman's making of Star Trek book, it is clear that during the making of Star Trek, Shatner and Nimoy didn't like each other at all.
It's not clear to me. Sure, it's well-documented that they were each very motivated for their characters to be important and successful, and they fought over lines, etc. However, can we infer from those facts that they "didn't like each other"? I can't.

Doug
Doug Otte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 06:11 PM   #36
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Shatner pretty much admitted it in his autobiography; during TOS, they were rivals, sometimes friendly rivals, but rivals nonetheless. They became best friends after the show had wrapped.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 02:00 AM   #37
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander

Doug Otte wrote: View Post
While it is true that Shatner and Nimoy have become best friends, they weren't particularly close during the three years while making TOS. After reading Gene Roddenberry's biography and Herb Solow and Robert Justman's making of Star Trek book, it is clear that during the making of Star Trek, Shatner and Nimoy didn't like each other at all.
It's not clear to me. Sure, it's well-documented that they were each very motivated for their characters to be important and successful, and they fought over lines, etc. However, can we infer from those facts that they "didn't like each other"? I can't.

Doug

It's in the official Gene Roddenberry biography. And the book written by Herb Solow and Robert Justman. I don't have them in front of me at the moment so I can't quote the exact lines and pages. But Gene, Herb and Rob all talk at various points about the problems between Nimoy and Shatner.

Some of the arguments were pretty immature. Especially about Shatner sometimes forgetting his lines, because the scripts to most episodes weren't finished while they were filming them. And lines were often being written or re written right up until the actors had to speak them. Not allowing anytime to memorize lines, especially for Shatner who always had the most.

And then there was the amount of attention that Nimoy got on set for makeup and lighting. Shatner felt that they were fawning over Nimoy and leaving him out. As well, Nimoy, because of his extra makeup requirements had to be on set earlier and leave later than everyone else. The third season episode "The Enterprise Incident" came about partly to slightly remedy this. By having Shatner wear Vulcan ears (or in this case Romulan ears) he could see what Nimoy had to go through, though just briefly. And try something different, and get the attention he felt he was missing out on, on set.

But compared to the rest of the cast, Shatner and Nimoy weren't really that much of a problem. In fact the only person who seemed like a total professional, and nobody ever had a single problem with during the three year run was DeForest Kelley.

But after it was all said and done Shatner and Nimoy both agreed that their attitudes were pretty immature, and they have even said so in interviews. And often joke about the early days of their relationship. An exchange in the Futurama episode "Where No Fan Has Gone Before" sort of touches on this and spoofs how egotistical Shatner was or is perceived to be:

Nimoy: When I directed Star Trek IV, I got a good performance out of Bill because I respected him so much.

Shatner: And when I directed Star Trek V, I got a good performance out of me because I respected me so much.
So they didn't hate each other while making TOS but they weren't particularly close. But they got better after, and are now best friends as seen in numerous interviews.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 05:08 AM   #38
jk82
Lieutenant

It's in the official Gene Roddenberry biography. And the book written by Herb Solow and Robert Justman. I don't have them in front of me at the moment so I can't quote the exact lines and pages. But Gene, Herb and Rob all talk at various points about the problems between Nimoy and Shatner.
Someone told me not to believe everything Gene Roddenberry said, so I will take this with a grain of salt.

I don't know exactly what happened between him and Mr. Shatner, but certainly Mr. Shatner said he did not try to get close to Roddenberry, while Mr. Nimoy and Mr. Roddenberry mutually disdained each other. Since Mr. Roddenberry also had a reputation of being very creative about generating publicity for Star Trek as well as making profits from Star Trek, I suspect he might not be the best person to examine the relationship between Mr. Shatner and Mr. Nimoy.

And then there was the amount of attention that Nimoy got on set for makeup and lighting. Shatner felt that they were fawning over Nimoy and leaving him out. As well, Nimoy, because of his extra makeup requirements had to be on set earlier and leave later than everyone else. The third season episode "The Enterprise Incident" came about partly to slightly remedy this. By having Shatner wear Vulcan ears (or in this case Romulan ears) he could see what Nimoy had to go through, though just briefly. And try something different, and get the attention he felt he was missing out on, on set.
Mr. Shatner said he only needed 15 minutes for makeup. He joked Mr. Nimoy needed 3 hours because he was "uglier" than the rest of the cast. LOL I don't know if he actually was missing all the attention Mr. Nimoy was getting for makeups. He does not seem like a person who can sit still for 5 minutes anyway.

Nimoy: When I directed Star Trek IV, I got a good performance out of Bill because I respected him so much.

Shatner: And when I directed Star Trek V, I got a good performance out of me because I respected me so much.
LOL. This is hilarious.

Didn't he make fun of himself in SNL by showing off his physique in front of a mirror? And I always wondered where "I am sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am" came from.

"I wasn't so much acting as I was reacting, using my own internal makeup as the spine upon which I was able to build the character of Jim Kirk. We were bascially one and the same, although Jim was just about perfect, and of course, I am perfect!" LOL

Yes, it's about people's perception of him too. As a result, he has always been interesting to the public. That reporter was correct, a Shatner without controversies would have been boring.
Old September 28 2011, 08:21 PM   #39
EnsignRicky
Commodore

He was on the wing checking for gremlins.
Old September 28 2011, 08:35 PM   #40
Samurai8472
Vice Admiral

He won't arrive till Tuesday.
Old September 30 2011, 01:24 AM   #41
Maurice
Vice Admiral

jk82 wrote: View Post

I did a little math and figured out he made quite a handsome amount of money from this project. Over a million dollars I believe. Not bad for a movie made for half a million dollars. He is rather delightful in this movie.
How did you figure this?
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 02:22 AM   #42
jk82
Lieutenant

Maurice wrote: View Post

How did you figure this?

According to the film's producers, Mr. Shatner opted for percentage of the gross instead of getting a bigger albeit modest salary. The film was a moderate success, grossing around 17 million dollars and in addition it did very well on TV largely because of Mr. Shatner's presence. The producers claimed Mr. Shatner was very happy with the money he earned from the film. He even offered to direct a sequel.

Why do I know these things? I started watching Star Trek only 2 months ago.
Old September 30 2011, 02:30 AM   #43
Maurice
Vice Admiral

How did you figure this?

According to the film's producers, Mr. Shatner opted for percentage of the gross instead of getting a bigger albeit modest salary. The film was a moderate success, grossing around 17 million dollars and in addition it did very well on TV largely because of Mr. Shatner's presence. The producers claimed Mr. Shatner was very happy with the money he earned from the film. He even offered to direct a sequel.

Gross? Usually points are given on net, not gross. On 17 million gross he'd have to be taking almost 6% to make a million.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30 2011, 02:57 AM   #44
jk82
Lieutenant

How did you figure this?

Gross? Usually points are given on net, not gross. On 17 million gross he'd have to be taking almost 6% to make a million.
He received 7.5%, according to dubious sources.

Again, I don't know whether this info is true or not.
Old September 30 2011, 06:54 AM   #45
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Since it wasn't too many years earlier that he was living in a camper in a friend's driveway, it probably wouldn't take an exceptionally large paycheck to make him happy.

Hey, there's a question for the cast members who still bitch about Shatner. Were any of them forced into abject homelessness after Star Trek? No? THEN SHUT THE FUCK UP, YOU SPOILED BRATS!
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote