Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 27 2011, 08:34 PM   #1456
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice
Re: Minecraft

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Finally got in to play around on the server this morning. Yay!

Also, latest news from Notch's Twitter:

* Looks like Mojang and Bethesda are actually on their way to court. Sonovabitch. I hope they get a reasonable judge who kicks the whole case out.
Honestly, I don't see how Scrolls is trademarkable to begin with. It's a generic term. I think Bethesda will lose in that they won't get any damages, but Mojang won't be able to secure a trademark on Scrolls itself. I don't see how it can reasonably create brand confusion for Bethesda, either. Just a stupid, stupid fight all around.

* We're getting another 1.9 pre-release later this week.
That'll be nice, although I won't play it.

* Notch is implimenting a tool repair system. Basically you'll combine all the uses left on two 2 tools into one.
Awesome! I have always wanted that, but figured it was too trivial a feature for them to ever bother with.

* He also says that while there will be animal breeding, he doesn't have baby animals 'yet'.
Aww. Want babies!
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 09:08 PM   #1457
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I'm getting terrible performance with 1.8 on my machine, as if there are too many things to render. Even on a brand new world, my computer struggles with the framerate with nothing but land and trees, so I'm not quite sure what's up.

I have a few things to try such as downgrading to a smaller texture size, which thankfully the texturepack I like has a lot of, so I can have the same one at 64x If I wanted to, but it does seem like the game is getting increasingly demanding. It must be a combination of the new lighting system and the increased polygon count on the animals. I also did notice, that at least on the texture pack I'm using, that mob textures aren't limited by the shape of the mob anymore, for instance the sheep has hair that goes beyond the regular sheep shape, making it appear longer. The game also seems to be crashing even more quickly now too, every 5 or so minutes instead of 15 minutes making it almost impossible to do anything, so we'll see.

So, yeah, I'm going to try a few things, such as trying it on my Mac, but I'm expecting that to be a little awkward since all I can use is the trackpad on it.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 12:18 AM   #1458
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

My computer couldn't even run Classic unless I turned it down to at least 'short' render distance, so no surprises here. I'm hopefully getting a laptop by the end of the year, and I might possibly have some dough with which to upgrade it, so that 30 fps performance may yet be within reach soon.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 03:15 AM   #1459
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I'm getting terrible performance with 1.8 on my machine, as if there are too many things to render. Even on a brand new world, my computer struggles with the framerate with nothing but land and trees, so I'm not quite sure what's up.

I have a few things to try such as downgrading to a smaller texture size, which thankfully the texturepack I like has a lot of, so I can have the same one at 64x If I wanted to, but it does seem like the game is getting increasingly demanding.
Well theres your problem. I'm using 32x so never had a performance problem. I think I tried 128x once and lagged pretty badly.

Robert Maxwell wrote: View Post

Aww. Want babies!
Well, on the plus side, 'not yet' is a quote, so it means they're at least planned. Hopefully in the full 1.9 release or 1.10.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 03:22 AM   #1460
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Jeb did say a few months back that he was in contact with the makers of the baby animal mod to see if any of their assets could be used in the game, so it seems to have been planned at some point. But Minecraft has a bunch of things in its history that were planned but never got added, such as the infamous lanterns.
Old September 28 2011, 03:41 AM   #1461
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

I'm glad they never went through with the lantern thing. It was a dumb idea--or rather, as presented it was a dumb idea. The game is too far along to just suddenly decide, "hey, torches won't burn forever anymore!" Additional light sources would be cool, though, and it would be nice if we could color them now that we have colored lighting.
Old September 28 2011, 03:57 AM   #1462
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I have a few things to try such as downgrading to a smaller texture size, which thankfully the texturepack I like has a lot of, so I can have the same one at 64x If I wanted to, but it does seem like the game is getting increasingly demanding.
Well theres your problem. I'm using 32x so never had a performance problem. I think I tried 128x once and lagged pretty badly.
I don't really think it is, considering I've been running with a 128x texturepack without any lag until this update. It might be contributing to it a bit, but the fact that there's been a drastic change shows that there's much more going on than there was before. This was more of a framerate issue than a lag issue as it was constant.
Old September 28 2011, 04:37 AM   #1463
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I'm glad they never went through with the lantern thing. It was a dumb idea--or rather, as presented it was a dumb idea. The game is too far along to just suddenly decide, "hey, torches won't burn forever anymore!" Additional light sources would be cool, though, and it would be nice if we could color them now that we have colored lighting.
I guess the lantern came out during the 'throw ideas out there and see what sticks' phase of the design. Pretty redundant anyway, what with torches, glowstone, and burning netherrack.

I still think the game could use a carryable light source for exploring though. And it would be nice to have some sort of craftable lamp for lighting large areas, rather than having to set torches all over.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old September 28 2011, 04:54 AM   #1464
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

I guess the lantern came out during the 'throw ideas out there and see what sticks' phase of the design. Pretty redundant anyway, what with torches, glowstone, and burning netherrack.

I still think the game could use a carryable light source for exploring though. And it would be nice to have some sort of craftable lamp for lighting large areas, rather than having to set torches all over.
I believe you can do the "carryable light" thing by holding lightstone. Could be wrong but I could've sworn I saw that in a 1.8 video.

I like the idea of being able to make large area lights, though. They would have to be costly so you can't just flood an area with them, but would be nice to have available.
Old September 28 2011, 04:57 AM   #1465
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, something that could be jury-rigged using redstone as wiring that throws off more light than a torch? Similar to the kind of lighting systems they have in mines would make sense. With the new lighting model, you can see the lighting arcs more clearly now. Electrical lighting would be cool. We have redstone, which is really easy to get and plentiful, and we need more uses for it because it ends up just laying around.
Old September 28 2011, 09:37 AM   #1466
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Oooh new character stats window.

http://media.minecraftforum.net/cont...09/charinv.png
Old September 28 2011, 11:48 AM   #1467
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

Not only that, but there appears to be a flask item now!
Old September 28 2011, 03:08 PM   #1468
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Yeah, something that could be jury-rigged using redstone as wiring that throws off more light than a torch? Similar to the kind of lighting systems they have in mines would make sense. With the new lighting model, you can see the lighting arcs more clearly now. Electrical lighting would be cool. We have redstone, which is really easy to get and plentiful, and we need more uses for it because it ends up just laying around.
Yeah, a large-area lighting system would be nice. The piston-based retractable light sources I've been messing with in Creative generally throw an uneven amount of light on the area thanks to the new lighting system, which irritates the living hell out of me. A large, consistent light source would be nice.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28 2011, 03:11 PM   #1469
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

I noticed that torches don't seem to be as bright as they used to be. Not even talking about down near bedrock, either, but my Pixelania exhibit is also dimmer than before, I think.
Old September 28 2011, 03:37 PM   #1470
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

I noticed that torches don't seem to be as bright as they used to be. Not even talking about down near bedrock, either, but my Pixelania exhibit is also dimmer than before, I think.
Did you try replacing them? While I was down exploring the abandoned mine I noticed that the torches I put down were intensely brighter than the ones already in place.