Kirk’s Well Wishes To Kirk
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Quinto In New Starz Series
By: T'Bonz on Apr 15

Star Trek: Horizon Film
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Star Trek: Fleet Captains Game Expansion
By: T'Bonz on Apr 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 26 2011, 09:45 PM   #61
KeepOnTrekking
Commodore

Re: M'ress appreciation thread

Caitian = Kay-shan

Although never mentioned in the animated series, it was pronounced that way in Power Records' "Passage to Moauv" book-and-record set.
KeepOnTrekking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 10:08 PM   #62
Therin of Andor
Admiral

View Therin of Andor's Twitter Profile

Chemahkuu wrote: View Post
More modern Caitian in uniform (art):
Actually, we've also had M'Ress in that uniform, too. Peter David time jumped both Arex and M'Ress into his 24th century "New Frontier" novels (starting with "Gateways: Cold Wars"), and so they appeared in the IDW comic mini-series, "New Frontier: Turnabout", serving on the USS Trident:

Mress and Arex in New Frontier comic by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

KeepOnTrekking wrote: View Post
it was pronounced that way in Power Records' "Passage to Moauv" book-and-record set.

Passage to Moauv by Therin of Andor, on Flickr

Where M'Ress had to be redrawn because the ownership of her image was in a state of flux.
Therin of Andor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 01:22 PM   #63
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I've read a few of the New Frontier novels and M'ress' participation in the series, but I hadn't looked to see any art of her in the series, I'm more used to her in the TOS/TMP era uniforms.
Old September 27 2011, 01:23 PM   #64
Moodib
Lieutenant

Who wants her and Arrex in a movie?
Moodib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 03:18 PM   #65
Forbin
Admiral

My poor diseased mind is working on the fact that cats have what, six nipples?
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 04:29 PM   #66
Redfern
Commodore

I sure you posted that for comic effect, but for a lil' mental exercise, let's consider it a bit seriously for a moment.

Terran felines, yes, have multiple pairs, but to paraphrase what Ptrope has repeatedly stated on the subject, just because Caitians may share some physical attributes with earthbound cats doesn't mean they have all those same features. Obviously, there are some differences. Housecats, or even lions for that matter, don't normally stand upon their hind legs (for any length of time), operate computer "switchboards", or talk. So why must we assume M'Ress has 3 or 4 pairs of mammary glands? Her ooficial model sheet (used as the basis for her pointing pose in "The Practical Joker") suggests she has a bustline comparable to that of human females, just a bit more subtle compared to the animated Uhura. True, that doesn't really prove anything. M'ress could be flat as an anorexic runway model and what we are seeing is merely her uniform being filled out by a thick and fluffy pectoral "tuft" of fur. In that case, she could have multiple pairs, and they enlarge only when she has cubs. Really, it's anybody's call.

But multiple pairs are not really my thing (though I'm aware some people go for that and who am I to judge?), so in my mind, M'ress leans a bit more towards the human norm' in that regard.

Sincerely,

Bill

Freighter Tails: the Misadventures of Mzzkiti
Redfern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 06:55 PM   #67
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

She has humanoid breasts, the typical arrangements of two, so if she did have more I'd say it would be an evolutionary holdover. Two breasts with funtional ones as per Humans, with four hidden under the fur that are like the rare Human third, looks more like an isolated mole, than anything else, and wouldn't be visible or noticeable at all.
Old September 27 2011, 07:05 PM   #68
Redfern
Commodore

I'm sure we're "weirding out" moderator T'Bonz something fierce. I remember a thread a year or so ago that discussed M'Ress and the poor woman (?) reached her "squick" levels in short order.

Sincerely,

Bill

Old September 27 2011, 07:10 PM   #69
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

I don't tend to get this technical myself anyway but its an interesting thought.

Anyway, M'ress in a rebooted universe would be a good way of representing the Caitain race and finally allow us to find out more about them, to see if the "scratch" language the TAS writers came up with is real or can work.
Old September 27 2011, 07:37 PM   #70
Redfern
Commodore

The "scratch" language? I'm guessing it's an alphabet inspired by the scratches a feline makes with its claws. Sounds interesting, but I have to wonder, did the writers for TAS really go this far with the character or her species? I'm not refuting the notion, but this is the first I've ever heard of it. I thought the only thing worked out was the brief "bio" sold through Lincoln Enterprises which I suspect came well after the conclusion of the animated series.

When you think about it, the only thing we can determine from "on screen" evidence is that M'Ress is an organic lifeform since nitrous oxide and Mudd's "love crystals" affected her similarly to the way the chemicals affected humans. Really for all we know, she could have been a genetically "uplifted" lifeform (a "Moreau"), a human into extreme body modifications, or a "victim" of a bizarre transporter accident.

I just figured she and Arex were little more than "walk-on" characters taking advantage of the animated medium to drive home the idea "these humans are in really deep space working alongside aliens". Basically, the initial reason for Spock's creation, but taken to the next level. But given the expected number of episodes they'd get to make (this was years before the advent of weekday aired cartoons comprised of 65 episodes) and the short running time (22 minutes without commercials), I just assumed the creators would not have bothered to create detailed histories for "cameo" aliens.

Though I'd love to be proven wrong (I mean that earnestly without sarcasm). Can you elaborate?

Sincerely,

Bill

Old September 27 2011, 07:42 PM   #71
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Well the Caitains are only fleshed out in TAS and Star Trek IV, them being a species and on the Federation Council in the 2280's is all we really know.

But they've seen a lot of mentions and building up in the books, some good characters and storylines that could easily be incorperated into future stories.

The language, I don't know when it was made, but it was part of some background material during the TAS days, an alphabet that looked like old Earth Cuniform, systematic scratches in groups representing letters and words.
Old September 27 2011, 07:48 PM   #72
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Redfern wrote: View Post
I'm sure we're "weirding out" moderator T'Bonz something fierce. I remember a thread a year or so ago that discussed M'Ress and the poor woman (?) reached her "squick" levels in short order.

Sincerely,

Bill

One of the few downsides of moderating this forum is reading threads like this.

I'll live. But ewww.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 08:00 PM   #73
Redfern
Commodore

Pray you never stumble across a "furry" chan board. Before you had finished the first page, it would leave you quivering in a dark corner, gibbering in utter madness as though you had looked the abyss inhabited by Lovecraftian horrors.

Me? I'd probably just roll my eyes and mutter, "Yeah, yeah, another 'rule 34' of Krystal from StarFox Adventures. Anything new?"

Sincerely,

Bill

Old September 27 2011, 08:01 PM   #74
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Furries? Where?

Old September 27 2011, 08:08 PM   #75
T'Bonz
Romulan Curmudgeon

Redfern wrote: View Post
Pray you never stumble across a "furry" chan board.
Oh, I've run across quite a few things online that were weird, to say the least.

I've never got the "furry" love. Then again, learning about people getting turned on by uh, "elimination" was a real eye-opener.

Some people are just fucking weird. And I'm no longer naive.

Romulans aren't paranoid. We're merely proactively cautious.
T'Bonz is offline   Reply With Quote