RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,670
Members: 24,197
Currently online: 606
Newest member: Trek's Offender

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

View Poll Results: Grade 'Neither Here Nor There'
Fringe-tastic! 4 11.43%
Above Average 16 45.71%
Stuck Between Two Universes 11 31.43%
Below Average 3 8.57%
I Didn't Think Fringe Could Be This Bad 1 2.86%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 24 2011, 11:40 PM   #76
AvBaur
Captain

View AvBaur's Twitter Profile
Re: Fringe 4x01 - "Neither Here Nor There" (Discussion, Spoilers)

Mr. Adventure wrote: View Post
AvBaur wrote: View Post
CaptainCanada wrote: View Post
(...), assuming that show lasts.
It probably won't: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/51331
Am I missing something here?
Probably this line: “Prime Suspect” gave NBC the worst fall Thursday series premiere in its history.

I think that strongly suggests that the show might not last very long.
Old September 24 2011, 11:52 PM   #77
Mr. Adventure
Admiral

^^ ahh, brain fart there, being in the Fringe with the partial quote I had read it as "assuming this show lasts".
Mr. Adventure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2011, 11:53 PM   #78
Procutus
Admiral

AJ86 wrote: View Post
Below average. Fringe is better than this. All this episode does is make me hope they kill off Olivia and let us keep FauxLivia instead.

Well, her counterpart is far more interesting, I'll give you that.

Old September 25 2011, 12:34 AM   #79
CaptainJack
Lieutenant Commander

Can someone explain to me what was actually happening in that episode and what it might mean for what was done last season?
CaptainJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 03:50 AM   #80
The Habs Fan
Commodore

Above Average

It was a pretty good episode, but Fringe has done better.

By the way, is Joshua Jackson no longer credited? I don't remember seeing his name in the credits but I could've missed it.
The Habs Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 04:21 AM   #81
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

You did.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 04:56 AM   #82
DarthPipes
Rear Admiral

Below average. Fringe is better than this. All this episode does is make me hope they kill off Olivia and let us keep FauxLivia instead.
Agreed. Fringe is better than this.
DarthPipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 05:29 AM   #83
Checkmate
Commodore

CaptainJack wrote: View Post
Can someone explain to me what was actually happening in that episode and what it might mean for what was done last season?
I think it was supposed to show us how awful everyone's personality is (well, Walter and Olivia's anyway) without Peter's involvement, and what a crucial impact his absence has on the world. Oh, and that jumping between universes now just requires a room with a burst of lights in the floor.

With the exception of the room bit, it pretty much failed to do those things, though. Walter's always been an on-and-off dick, Olivia's always had the personality of a piece of wet cardboard, and the changes that should have occurred with Peter's absence are what's actually absent.
Checkmate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 02:31 PM   #84
Procutus
Admiral

^

Basically, an accurate assessment. I suppose this is Fringe's version of It's A Wonderful Life, minus having the Observer take the non-existent Peter around to actually show him the impact of his not being there on the other characters.

None of this though, explains how that damn machine can be there or how it connected the two universes without Peter, if this is now a re-written timeline. There's still serious flaws in this story and the writers are really going to have to work to give us a satisfactory explanation for all that we've seen.
Old September 25 2011, 03:50 PM   #85
Forbin
Admiral

One thing I've noticed about Abrams shows is that they start off clever and intriguing, but they don't always manage to hang on to it. Lost fell completely apart; Alias had a terribly stupid third season (but recovered), and, ya know Star Trek sucked (*ducks*). Fringe has managed to keep interesting for the most part, and I'm hopeful. But history is against it.
Forbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 04:27 PM   #86
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

3.53 million & 1.5/5 - solid start.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 05:07 PM   #87
Procutus
Admiral

Forbin wrote: View Post
One thing I've noticed about Abrams shows is that they start off clever and intriguing, but they don't always manage to hang on to it. Lost fell completely apart; Alias had a terribly stupid third season (but recovered), and, ya know Star Trek sucked (*ducks*). Fringe has managed to keep interesting for the most part, and I'm hopeful. But history is against it.

I'm afraid you might be right.

Old September 25 2011, 06:57 PM   #88
AJ86
Captain

Jax wrote: View Post
I wouldn't go that far, it's one of the lowest numbers the show had ever pulled, and for a season première too...
AJ86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 08:04 PM   #89
Jax
Admiral

Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain & Northern Ireland

Jax wrote: View Post
I wouldn't go that far, it's one of the lowest numbers the show had ever pulled, and for a season première too...
the season 3 finale was a 1.2...Friday night 1.5 demo for FOX is nothing to be scoffed at + I said solid not amazing.
Glengarry Glen Ross (B-) The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (B+) Dark Skies (B-) Mandela: Long Walk to Freedom (B-) Gravity (C+) Captain Phillips (B) Now You See Me (B) Escape Plan (B-) Captain America: The Winter Soldier (B+)

Last edited by Jax; September 25 2011 at 09:45 PM.
Jax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 08:50 PM   #90
stj
Rear Admiral

Checkmate wrote: View Post
CaptainJack wrote: View Post
I think it was supposed to show us how awful everyone's personality is (well, Walter and Olivia's anyway) without Peter's involvement, and what a crucial impact his absence has on the world. Oh, and that jumping between universes now just requires a room with a burst of lights in the floor.

With the exception of the room bit, it pretty much failed to do those things, though. Walter's always been an on-and-off dick, Olivia's always had the personality of a piece of wet cardboard, and the changes that should have occurred with Peter's absence are what's actually absent.
An interesting view. Looking back, the Peter character has always been diminished in the interests of focusing the show on Olivia. Peter is only there because he is in love with Olivia and won't even call Walter Dad. Peter is an idiot, because only Olivia is the only normal human character allowed to actually do anything successfully. All Joshua Jackson has been allowed to do is emote in reacton to John Noble and Anna Torv. That's worked well enough to anchor Walter's peculiarities in some sort of relatable human motivation (i.e., love for his son.) It doesn't work for Olivia, but the terminal Mary Suishness of the character wouldn't permit it too. Peter can't be enough of a character to constitute a partner in a romance, because Olivia has to suck up all the oxygen in the room.