Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Star Trek - Original Series

Star Trek - Original Series The one that started it all...

Old September 24 2011, 10:17 PM   #16
Sir Rhosis
Commodore

Re: Where Was Shatner At The Enterprise Shuttle Rollout?

^^This! Shatner and Doohan had amazing on-camera chemistry! I was even more amazed at their professionalism and acting abilities when I learned that they were not friends.

Sir Rhosis

Read "Origins" at http://www.orionpressfanzines.com/articles/origins.htm
Sir Rhosis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2011, 10:54 PM   #17
jk82
Lieutenant

Sir Rhosis wrote: View Post
^^This! Shatner and Doohan had amazing on-camera chemistry! I was even more amazed at their professionalism and acting abilities when I learned that they were not friends.

Sir Rhosis
Exactly.

I read some people's comments claiming that Mr. Shatner was super jealous of Mr. Nimoy etc. When I saw him in TOS and movies I was thinking this man must be a great, great, great actor (to be able to hide his dislike for Spock so effortlessly) because all I saw was genuine friendship and love toward Spock.

And then I found out that in reality, Mr. Shatner and Mr. Nimoy have become best friends. So I had to seriously re-evaluate Mr. Shatner's acting skills. LOL
jk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24 2011, 11:14 PM   #18
MarsWeeps
Captain

Admiral M wrote: View Post
The Shatner/Takei thing is pretty pathetic. I know that Shatner wasn't TOS cast's favourite person to be around, but after all these years, surely they can kiss and make up? James Doohan, who intensely disliked Shatner, buried the hatchet with him.
Well, the truth is (and I'm not saying this to be funny or to be in poor taste) but Jimmy did suffer from Alzheimer's so it's entirely possible he totally forgot his history and incredible dislike for Shatner.
MarsWeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 01:57 AM   #19
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Again, it's beyond silly for the supporting cast to be in a snit over Shatner, especially after all these years.

Let's compare everyone's screen time, shall we?:

William Shatner - 79 episodes
Leonard Nimoy - 80 episodes
DeForest Kelley - 76 episodes
Nichelle Nichols - 68 episodes
James Doohan - 65 episodes
Eddie Paskey - 59 episodes
Billy Blackburn - 59 episodes
George Takei - 51 episodes
Frank DaVinci - 44 episodes
Walter Koenig - 36 episodes
Majel Barrett - 34 episodes

I think the point is made. They were barely there! And when they were, it was generally bridge scenes, which means one or two days, compared to six or seven for Shatner, Nimoy, and Kelley.

It should also be noted that Paskey and Blackburn, both of whom were there more than Takei, both still think very highly of Bill Shatner.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 02:23 AM   #20
Anji
Rear Admiral

View Anji's Twitter Profile

Shatner is a pretty erratic character. I don't know if it began during the filming of TOS and he didn't know how to emotionally handle the show's popularity or if he has always been like that.

But you know what? It really doesn't matter if he was there or not. All that did matter is that Roddenberry was there and he got the thrill of watching man's first re-useable vehicle bare the name of his starship.
Old September 25 2011, 02:49 AM   #21
Merry Christmas
Vice Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post

[snip] And when they were, it was generally bridge scenes,
It would be interesting to see a similar list, but of non-bridge episode appearances.

Meaning I'm too lazy to put one together, would you mind?

Merry Christmas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 06:05 AM   #22
jk82
Lieutenant

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Captain Robert April wrote: View Post

[snip] And when they were, it was generally bridge scenes,
It would be interesting to see a similar list, but of non-bridge episode appearances.

Meaning I'm too lazy to put one together, would you mind?

I think it would be interesting to come up with a list of how many minutes in total each character appears in the show.

It probably looks like this:
Mr. Shatner: 79x48 minutes (TOS) 6x90 minutes (ST1-6)+20 minutes (ST7)+22x10 (TAS)
Mr. Nimoy: 80x25-30 minutes+6x30 minutes (ST1-6)+15 (STXI)
Mr. Kelley: 76x15-20 minutes+...
Mr. Doohan: 65x 5?

Poor Mr. Shatner. Spending 12-15 hours everyday on the set trying to memorize and recite lines after lines after lines after lines while doing all sorts of dangerous stunts, getting into fight after fight after fight after fight with very large men, Gorn, crazy green woman ... He must be physically and mentally exhausted.

Then he got blamed after all this work by just about everybody. Too bad.
Old September 26 2011, 07:18 PM   #23
Mytran
Fleet Captain

Of course, Kirk wasn't in every minute of every episode, so such a task would really be a nerd labour of love!

Having said that, I'd be interested to see the results. Any takers?
Mytran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 01:37 AM   #24
MrJ
Lieutenant Commander

jk82 wrote: View Post

Sir Rhosis
Exactly.

I read some people's comments claiming that Mr. Shatner was super jealous of Mr. Nimoy etc. When I saw him in TOS and movies I was thinking this man must be a great, great, great actor (to be able to hide his dislike for Spock so effortlessly) because all I saw was genuine friendship and love toward Spock.

And then I found out that in reality, Mr. Shatner and Mr. Nimoy have become best friends. So I had to seriously re-evaluate Mr. Shatner's acting skills. LOL

While it is true that Shatner and Nimoy have become best friends, they weren't particularly close during the three years while making TOS. After reading Gene Roddenberry's biography and Herb Solow and Robert Justman's making of Star Trek book, it is clear that during the making of Star Trek, Shatner and Nimoy didn't like each other at all.

Shatner was jealous that Nimoy got more fan mail and more attention from the makeup and lighting people on set, even though Shatner was the star.

Nimoy was jealous that Shatner got more money and more screen time even though Spock was the more popular and unique character. And Nimoy felt that he put more effort into creating his character and performing while Shatner could barely remember his lines.

As time went on their relationship improved, to the point where they can joke about it now, and they are indeed quite good friends.
MrJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 02:21 AM   #25
jk82
Lieutenant

MrJ wrote: View Post
jk82 wrote: View Post

Sir Rhosis
Exactly.

While it is true that Shatner and Nimoy have become best friends, they weren't particularly close during the three years while making TOS. After reading Gene Roddenberry's biography and Herb Solow and Robert Justman's making of Star Trek book, it is clear that during the making of Star Trek, Shatner and Nimoy didn't like each other at all.

Shatner was jealous that Nimoy got more fan mail and more attention from the makeup and lighting people on set, even though Shatner was the star.

Nimoy was jealous that Shatner got more money and more screen time even though Spock was the more popular and unique character. And Nimoy felt that he put more effort into creating his character and performing while Shatner could barely remember his lines.

As time went on their relationship improved, to the point where they can joke about it now, and they are indeed quite good friends.
So both of them are fantastic actors!

Joking.

I did read an article stating that it is not true that Mr. Nimoy got more fan mails than Mr. Shatner, but certainly Spock was very popular. I am not sure whether what's said in the article is true or not, however.

And why should Mr. Nimoy be upset that Mr. Shatner couldn't remember his lines when Mr. Shatner had twice or three times as many lines and 20000 times more physical exertions than he did? Come on, that doesn't paint Mr. Nimoy in a good way. I don't believe it.

Mr. Nimoy himself said it was all much ado about nothing, that press loved to fabricate some kind of "feud" so that fans would be more interested. Just like one reporter lamented that Mr. Shatner had no "private scandals" to report on, therefore he was not interesting to the public!
Old September 27 2011, 02:58 AM   #26
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

MrJ wrote: View Post

I seem to recall in an interview of Bill Shatner in a Star Trek documentary that he said his father died while they were filming the Season 1 episode "Devil in the Dark" and he credited Leonard Nimoy for helping him get through the shoot. I don't remember exactly what Leonard did to help Bill get through it though. But, wouldn't that indicate some sort of friendship? Does anyone else remember this interview, was it in the 20 Anniversary documentary?

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 03:33 AM   #27
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Shatner and Nimoy are without a doubt best friends, if not as good as family. It's been documented that Nimoy was really supportive during Shatner's marriage to Nerine Kidd who suffered with alcohol problems. Nimoy would go along with Nerine to AA meetings and it's been mentioned that Nimoy supported Shatner following the death of Nerine.

Things like that are one of the many reasons I have a lot of respect for Leonard Nimoy. Despite being a household name and creating an influential character, he never lost site of being a respectful person. He went out of his way to help his best friend's wife out and provided the couple with an enormous amount of support. Nimoy is universally liked by TOS cast and even used his clout with the producers to ensure that they all got a decent amount of screen time and salary.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 03:40 AM   #28
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

Both Nimoy and cinematographer Gerry Finnerman, who lost his dad while he was on location, helped Shatner get through a rather unproductive day on the set after he got the news. They then shot around him for the next few days while he was in Florida taking care of things (the shots of Kirk and the Horta are a mishmash of shots of Shatner and Shatner's stand-in).

Of course, upon his return, Shatner felt the need to prove that he was fine, so he promptly set about setting up Nimoy for public humiliation. Under the auspices of going over what went on while he was gone, Shatner had Nimoy reenact the "Pain! Pain! PAAIN!!" bit, eventually get Nimoy to scream "PAAAAAAIINN!!", at which point Shatner calls out, "For chrissakes, someone get that man an aspirin!" Nimoy wanted to strangle Shatner at that point.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 03:58 AM   #29
Navigator_NCC2120
Captain

Thanks CRA. Where did you get that info from?

Navigator NCC-2120 USS Entente
/\
Harvey Holroyd: [to himself] God, I miss that show. (Source: "Serial", 1980.)
Navigator_NCC2120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 27 2011, 04:02 AM   #30
MANT!
Rear Admiral

As to the original topic...

Filming... "Kingdom of the Spiders"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kingdom_of_the_Spiders