RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 140,835
Posts: 5,473,310
Members: 25,039
Currently online: 392
Newest member: noroadcordova

TrekToday headlines

Retro Review: Covenant
By: Michelle on Nov 22

Two Official Starships Collection Previews
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Saldana: Women Issues In Hollywood
By: T'Bonz on Nov 21

Shatner Book Kickstarter
By: T'Bonz on Nov 20

Trek Original Series Slippers
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Hemsworth Is Sexiest Man Alive
By: T'Bonz on Nov 19

Trek Business Card Cases
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

February IDW Publishing Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Nov 17

Retro Review: The Siege of AR-558
By: Michelle on Nov 15

Trevco Full Bleed Uniform T-Shirts
By: T'Bonz on Nov 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 22 2011, 10:27 PM   #796
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

The issue of Starfire is touched on here...


http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/...the-outlaws-1/
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 12:32 AM   #797
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral
 
Myasishchev's Avatar
 
Location: America after the rain
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Dennis wrote: View Post
I gather that the snippets of dialogue like "I don't talk to fish" are her super-hearing kicking in, but isn't it convenient then that everything she hears from afar are remarks ascribable to DC characters we can recognize? It's not like she overhears some unidentified twelve year-old shrieking at his mother in Hunan dialect or something.
They did throw some Russian in. Ubil bol'shye 20 chyem povstantsev. If I'm correct, that's "...Has killed more than twenty insurgents." They could've done more.

I'm imagining the idea of J.H. Williams handling that scene and it's beautiful.

You know, it's funny, I noticed somewhere in some comments section someone talking about how Supergirl has "different powers than Superman" because her scream is weaponizable. I thought that was a weird comment; Superman can do that too (e.g., "For the Man Who Has Everything," where he deafens Jason Todd and sets up the brutal scene in "Death in the Family" where he doesn't hear the Joker coming). He doesn't do Black Canary tactics because he release gamma rays from his eyes, and screaming at Lex Luthor is is redundant and collateral damagy.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
@Myaschiev (I think i got your name wrong this time!) they seem to be doing something interesting with the aliens in the DCU 52 Verse this time around. The comment regarding seeing Kori for the first time from that soldier who saw the little kid's cell phone pic of her would indicate at least to me that no one has seen an Tamaranean...or at least not seen one in a while. Maybe wide spread contact has been limited in this continuity...via some kind of Green Lantern quarantine on Earth? I'm reaching incredibly high here but otherwise I got nothing...lol. Adam Strange could be part of a future wave??
I sorta like it. It's kind of weird that the Green Lanterns, historically, don't seem to ever do anything until a threat's right on top of a planet. On the other hand, I guess there's no such thing as a blue water space navy.

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
Why bother?

The Andy Diggle Adam Strange story was the best reboot of the character since the horrible Kubert stuff.
I thought people liked the Paul Pope Wednesday Comics thing.

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
The issue of Starfire is touched on here...


http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/...the-outlaws-1/
You know what I found offensive about that part? It's overwritten. "I'm free. [beat] What about you?" And scene. We're done.

I mean, it's not like I read this thing. Maybe it sucks even worse in context. I've seen the phrase "sex slave" pop up in chatter; I'm only vaguely familiar with the character; but I remember in R.E.B.E.L.S. she killed some sex slavers, and it made Vril Dox express some kind of emotion, but I forget what. Probably anger and frustration, insofar as we're talking about Vril Dox here.

Also, I've never mentioned this, but George Perez drew Starfire as kind of horrifying, didn't he? Seriously, imagine that in real life. It's like a wide-awake nightmare. Those glowing, pupilless, monstrously large eyes... the eyes of a predator, or a demon, perhaps.
__________________


Last edited by Myasishchev; September 23 2011 at 12:49 AM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 12:41 AM   #798
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral
 
Professor Zoom's Avatar
 
Location: Idealistic
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Dennis wrote: View Post
They made it clear early on that they wouldn't be telling new versions of most characters' origins in the #1s. That's one reason they decline to call it a reboot.
I think it's a smart idea, not to start with all new origins or retelling origins for EVERYONE. It would be weird for everyone to start at the same time. In the middle of things is more dynamic.

But, still, it's a reboot. They are trying to have it both ways by not calling it such.
__________________
Batman does not eat nachos.
Professor Zoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 01:48 AM   #799
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral
 
Nerys Myk's Avatar
 
Location: House of Kang with Ridges
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Also, I've never mentioned this, but George Perez drew Starfire as kind of horrifying, didn't he? Seriously, imagine that in real life. It's like a wide-awake nightmare. Those glowing, pupilless, monstrously large eyes... the eyes of a predator, or a demon, perhaps.
IIRC, Starfire's people evolved from catlike creatures.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 03:05 AM   #800
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Not to mention she has 70's/80's style/fashion but yeah I was never fond of that look for her.
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 03:18 AM   #801
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Dennis wrote: View Post
I gather that the snippets of dialogue like "I don't talk to fish" are her super-hearing kicking in, but isn't it convenient then that everything she hears from afar are remarks ascribable to DC characters we can recognize? It's not like she overhears some unidentified twelve year-old shrieking at his mother in Hunan dialect or something.
They did throw some Russian in. Ubil bol'shye 20 chyem povstantsev. If I'm correct, that's "...Has killed more than twenty insurgents." They could've done more.
I missed that. Thanks.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 03:47 AM   #802
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral
 
Myasishchev's Avatar
 
Location: America after the rain
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Also, I've never mentioned this, but George Perez drew Starfire as kind of horrifying, didn't he? Seriously, imagine that in real life. It's like a wide-awake nightmare. Those glowing, pupilless, monstrously large eyes... the eyes of a predator, or a demon, perhaps.
IIRC, Starfire's people evolved from catlike creatures.
Oh God she can see me. She can see everything.
__________________

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 03:53 AM   #803
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral
 
Admiral_Young's Avatar
 
Location: Gotham
View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Her and Dick's daughter from Kingdom Come was hotter....*runs away*
__________________
Admiral Young
Chief of Operations

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 01:18 PM   #804
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I didn't get any of the 52 books this week. Sticking with the 'Dark' titled books and there was no release there. So, due to some good WOM I went back and picked up Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.

It was a good read. Is SHADE new? I don't recall hearing about it before. As I read it I got the feeling that here Palmer either hasn't yet been Atom or perhaps not in some time. Anyone else think that? The book also had me thinking I was reading a spin-off of Mignola's B.P.R.D. with Frank the stand in for Hellboy. The team even had a stand-in for Abe. It was then crossed with Marvel's Legion with a vampire, werewolf and mummy. Those aren't' knocks just that the book felt like a type of mashup.


I did flip through Catwoman after all the hype of the last few pages. I guess I'm the only one who felt that was fairly tame and rushed. Starfire was looking hot over in Red Hood and until I saw it here wasn't aware of her "sexual convo" she had, I'm sure they will address her attitude about that later. Afterall of most characters I've seen from mainstream DCU this books leads seem to be "in name only" of their old DCU counterparts outside Jason whose ties to Batman's seemingly untouched history are intact.


Ready for Aquaman #1 next week.
I also agree way up thread with whoever read Cloak&Dagger #2, that was a fun book this week also. FWIW, I also liked Heroes for Hire #12 this week but think that may be over. It felt cancelled even though I can't be sure.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 03:12 PM   #805
Mike Farley
Commodore
 
Mike Farley's Avatar
 
Location: Lost Vegas
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Heroes for Hire is turning into Villains for Hire for a while.
Mike Farley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 04:21 PM   #806
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

^^^^
Villains for Hire, flip the script. I guess that comes with a new #1 then. Sounds like Thunderbolts the C-team then.
I'll sit that out then. Thanks for the heads up.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 04:51 PM   #807
C_Miller
Captain
 
C_Miller's Avatar
 
Location: Geneseo, NY
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I didn't get any of the 52 books this week. Sticking with the 'Dark' titled books and there was no release there. So, due to some good WOM I went back and picked up Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.

It was a good read. Is SHADE new? I don't recall hearing about it before. As I read it I got the feeling that here Palmer either hasn't yet been Atom or perhaps not in some time. Anyone else think that? The book also had me thinking I was reading a spin-off of Mignola's B.P.R.D. with Frank the stand in for Hellboy. The team even had a stand-in for Abe. It was then crossed with Marvel's Legion with a vampire, werewolf and mummy. Those aren't' knocks just that the book felt like a type of mashup.
SHADE was created by Grant Morrison for his Seven Soliders "event" thing a few years back. If I recall correctly, this is the first time it's really been used since then in a major capacity, except for the Freedom Fighters mini. And I'm pretty sure that Morrison wrote it as an homage to Mike Mignola, Hellboy and the BPRD.
__________________
Are You a writer and a comic book fan?
Join the fledgling Ultimate DC Unified Fanfiction Community
Ultimate DC Universe
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 05:38 PM   #808
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral
 
Captain Craig's Avatar
 
Location: Nashville,TN
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

C_Miller wrote: View Post
Captain Craig wrote: View Post
I didn't get any of the 52 books this week. Sticking with the 'Dark' titled books and there was no release there. So, due to some good WOM I went back and picked up Frankenstein, Agent of S.H.A.D.E.

It was a good read. Is SHADE new? I don't recall hearing about it before. As I read it I got the feeling that here Palmer either hasn't yet been Atom or perhaps not in some time. Anyone else think that? The book also had me thinking I was reading a spin-off of Mignola's B.P.R.D. with Frank the stand in for Hellboy. The team even had a stand-in for Abe. It was then crossed with Marvel's Legion with a vampire, werewolf and mummy. Those aren't' knocks just that the book felt like a type of mashup.
SHADE was created by Grant Morrison for his Seven Soliders "event" thing a few years back. If I recall correctly, this is the first time it's really been used since then in a major capacity, except for the Freedom Fighters mini. And I'm pretty sure that Morrison wrote it as an homage to Mike Mignola, Hellboy and the BPRD.
Thanks for the answer. Nice to know the BPRD homage was intentional and that I 'got it'. I never read Seven Soldiers or Freedom Fighters (the newer short lived series?).
Since Marvel is ending Heroes for Hire and Dark Horse had licensing issues on their Valiant characters(4) relaunch I'll just reapply that into a books like Frankenstein and Resurrection Man for starters.
__________________
"Picard never hit me." Q-Less(DS9)
"Freedom is the Right of All Sentient Beings" Optimus Prime
Twitter:http://twitter.com/#!/CaptainCraig1
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 07:13 PM   #809
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral
 
JoeZhang's Avatar
 
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Superman preview:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=9892
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23 2011, 07:25 PM   #810
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral
 
Stevil2001's Avatar
 
Location: 2010
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Good grief, that's overwritten.

"Well, Perry, do you remember that tenement fire where Superman used cold breath?"
"Why yes I do, Lois, I seem to recall that he put it out rather quickly."
__________________
"I don't like adventure. I'm a stay-at-home-and-read kind of guy."
Science's Less Accurate Grandmother
Stevil2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
batman, comic books, comics, dc comics, dc's new 52, justice league, superman, wonder woman

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 10:12 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.