Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Giacchino Tour Arrives In North America
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

IDW Publishing October Star Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Cho As Romantic Lead
By: T'Bonz on Jul 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 22 2011, 04:17 AM   #751
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

She fucks Batman, in costume for the most part. Some comic board nerds are shrieking that it was done better in Watchmen, but that was way back in the 20th century and didn't involve the Goddamned Batman so who really cares?

Which causes one to wonder if Hustler XXX video might have a claim against DC based on holding copyright to a derivative work?

If the three panels following Batman's appearance on the scene were three panels added to the end of Supergirl #1 those of tender sensibilities would have something to really squeal about.

Last edited by Admiral Buzzkill; September 22 2011 at 04:30 AM.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 04:18 AM   #752
Nerys Myk
Fleet Admiral

Thought it was a pretty good batch this week.

I like the LSH, it had a density to the storytelling that many new comics lack. I felt like I was actually reading something.

Red Hood and the Outlaws suprised me. I'm not a fan of the bad goodguys trope. It was intresting when it was basically just Wolverine, but over saturation killed it. Still this was fun with a lot of bait dangled in front of the readers that makes you want more. Oh they did address why Kori doesn't remember her time with the Titans. Humans don't make much of an impression on Tamaraneans. After a while we tend to blend together.

Wonder Woman was another suprise. Again a fair amount of bait that leves you wanting more and the art was top notch. Very interesting designs for the Gods. Not sure "who" and "what" Diana is this go around. But I hope finding out will be fun.
The boring one, the one with Khan, the one where Spock returns, the one with whales, the dumb one, the last one, the one with Kirk, the one with the Borg, the stupid one, the bad one, the new one, the other one with Khan.
Nerys Myk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 04:26 AM   #753
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Myasishchev wrote: View Post
DD+D (I made that up myself)
The alternative formulation would be 3D, and no one wants that.
It beats AD+D.

OdoWanKenobi wrote: View Post
Yeah, I'm almost certainly buying way more than I would have without the same day digital. Of course, a lot of these are going to be one and done affairs. I'm giving the books that I might have an interest in a shot. Some I'll keep reading, some I won't. My only gripe with the digital comics is that I really wish we were able to download the comics to keep on a hard drive. That way, I can still read my books even if my internet is down (which reading comic books has always been one of my primary "no internet" activities.)
Or if ComiXology went kaput businesswise, or there were an asteroid strike or supervolcano or something. Cloud computing: all eggs in one basket. Although maybe I misunderstand it fundamentally.

Dennis wrote:
If the three panels following Batman's appearance on the scene were three panels added to the end of Supergirl #1 the bluenoses would have something to really squeal about.
Well, Superman does show up at the end. Time to get repopulatin'!

Actually, in the sex and violence vein, I sorta thought she should've manslaughtered one of the mecha guys. That would've been ballsy as hell, by which I mean it's not necessarily a very good idea, but I could give credit for taking risks. And there's not enough quasi-accidental killings in comics. There should be a lot more.

P.S. why is anyone surprised/angry that Catwoman's having sex with Batman? Hasn't that happened like twenty or thirty times before? I thought they were established fuckbuddies.

Last edited by Myasishchev; September 22 2011 at 04:40 AM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 04:34 AM   #754
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

She fucks Batman, in costume for the most part.
Pfft...that is so 2006.
Old September 22 2011, 04:38 AM   #755
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Dennis wrote:
If the three panels following Batman's appearance on the scene were three panels added to the end of Supergirl #1 the bluenoses would have something to really squeal about.
Well, Superman does show up at the end. Time to get repopulatin'!
Exactly. I saw the end sequence from Catwoman, beginning with Bats' reveal, and then read Supergirl - got to Supes' reveal and just cracked up at the juxtaposition.

Actually, in the sex and violence vein, I sorta thought she should've manslaughtered one of the mecha guys. That would've been ballsy as hell, by which I mean it's not necessarily a very good idea, but I could give credit for taking risks.
I'll have to look at the book again, but I took the impression from the dialogue exchange between two of the mechas that SG may have critically damaged if not killed one or more of their compatriots. Big mecha guy is real anxious to use a cannon on her in that "she's a cop-killer" kinda way.

"Don't shoot! She's just a kid."

"Tell that to the rest of our squad."

P.S. why is anyone surprised/angry that Catwoman's having sex with Batman? Hasn't that happened like twenty or thirty times before? I thought they were established fuckbuddies.
Oh, it's the usual "It's so much more dramatic/artistic/effective if it's left to the imagination instead of showing it." Sort of like they're saying "I've got nothing against sex. Some of my best friends have sex. Or so they say."
Old September 22 2011, 04:39 AM   #756
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Selina in her dialogue also states that they've done it numerous times...is it really blowing up on other comic boards? LOL.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 04:45 AM   #757
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Actually, in the sex and violence vein, I sorta thought she should've manslaughtered one of the mecha guys. That would've been ballsy as hell, by which I mean it's not necessarily a very good idea, but I could give credit for taking risks. And there's not enough quasi-accidental killings in comics. There should be a lot more.
The writers' target audience for the book were teenagers. No doubt that played a significant part in toning down the violence.
Old September 22 2011, 04:47 AM   #758
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I'll have to look at the book again, but I took the impression from the dialogue exchange between two of the mechas that SG had critically damaged if not killed one or more of their compatriots.

"Don't shoot! She's just a kid."

"Tell that to the rest of our squad."
The impression I got from that was that she was a major-league threat (no shit--you gotta nuke aliens from orbit if you want to be sure), regardless of her age. I didn't really read it as she'd killed anybody, although seriously bodily harm may have resulted from punting dudes across the taiga.

If they'd wanted to convey a homicide, I think they would've drawn a dead body, you know?

Oh, it's the usual "It's so much more dramatic/artistic/effective if it's left to the imagination instead of showing it." Sort of like they're saying "I've got nothing against sex. Some of my best friends have sex. Or so they say."
I'm ripping this off next chance I get, man. That's gold.

But that's silly. I mean, you compared it to Watchmen earlier (which, yeah, I doubt it was done better than that, but that's Moore and Gibbons; might as well compare Jerry Jenkins to John Milton). It's not exactly explicit...

And looking into it, from what I saw, if that's the whole thing, this is way less explicit. I was right about it not being as well done, tho.

Then again, I didn't think the scene from the Watchmen movie was goofy, and everyone else did. Maybe "Hallelujah" just wasn't as played out for me as for the average movie watcher.

Old September 22 2011, 04:49 AM   #759
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

AND it looks like Batman shoots his load early.

I guess he didn't have enough time to prepare.
Old September 22 2011, 04:49 AM   #760
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

I also have to say that I appreciate the restraint of the Supergirl writers in not injecting some made-up Kryptonian "hip teen" slang into Kara's first-person - writers so often try to be clever that way, and it always fails.

Unless you're Joss Whedon.

(If you don't like Whedon, good for you - but I don't need to hear about it.)

If they'd wanted to convey a homicide, I think they would've drawn a dead body, you know?
You may be right. I have to cop to being sufficiently geezed out that the narrative and visual flow of modern comics sometimes confuses me - even comics that are evidently considered simplistic by some younger people. I get mistaken impressions.

I liked the scene in the Watchmen movie myself - Cohen and all.
Old September 22 2011, 04:53 AM   #761
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Sorry, didn't catch this...

Hound of UIster wrote: View Post
The writers' target audience for the book were teenagers. No doubt that played a significant part in toning down the violence.
Supergirl was never... well, yeah, I guess it could get kind of violent, e.g. the fight with Batgirl (which is awful on a lot of external levels, but would have totally worked if not for all the talking, some of which involves the dumbest words ever written in a comic book: "red wavelength UVB lights"). But afaik she never killed a guy. Tried to kill the Anti-Monitor (and Matrix tried to kill Doomsday), if that counts, which for DC editorial purposes apparently does not. Alien monsters don't have souls. Which you'd think would make killing them even worse, but maybe not.

Old September 22 2011, 04:55 AM   #762
Trekker4747
Fleet Admiral

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post

:rimshot:
Trekker4747 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 04:57 AM   #763
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

You know, I didn't interpret that narration of Selina's the way others evidently did - I thought she was saying that her sexual encounters with Batman tended to be fast and kind of brutal because both their engines were really revving.
Old September 22 2011, 05:00 AM   #764
Saga
Rear Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Saga Send a message via Yahoo to Saga

You know, I didn't interpret that narration of Selina's the way others evidently did - I thought she was saying that her sexual encounters with Batman tended to be fast and kind of brutal because both their engines were really revving.
thats the way i interpreted it as well.
Old September 22 2011, 05:01 AM   #765
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I also have to say that I appreciate the restraint of the Supergirl writers in not injecting some made-up Kryptonian "hip teen" slang into Kara's first-person - writers so often try to be clever that way, and it always fails.
If they manage to not fall into the trap of writing Supergirl as a human adolescent, I'll be pleasantly surprised. Of course, the fact that it's untrue to the character's circumstance is only half the problem; the other is that adults trying to write kids usually comes off as the phoniest thing in the world.

Except for Frank Miller. Now that is a man who has his ear to the mouth of teenaged girls.