Trek Ice Cube Maker and Shot Glasses
By: T'Bonz on Aug 25

City on the Edge of Forever #3 Preview

TV Alert: Shatner TNG Documentary

Forbes Cast In Powers
By: T'Bonz on Aug 22

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

View Poll Results: Rate Indistinguishable From Magic
Outstanding 47 29.01%
Above Average 61 37.65%
Average 25 15.43%
Below Average 15 9.26%
Poor 14 8.64%
Voters: 162. You may not vote on this poll

Old September 12 2011, 05:14 PM   #376
Lonemagpie
Writer

Re: Star Trek: TNG: Indistinguishable From Magic Review Thread

[FONT=Calibri, Verdana, Helvetica, Arial]Nice to see IFM still getting good reviews after six months...[/FONT]

http://danieltessier.blogspot.com/20...from.html#more

Blog- http://lonemagpie.livejournal.com
Lonemagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2011, 11:06 PM   #377
MagGu
Lieutenant

I just finished it last night. I really enjoyed it. And now that I've read it was supposed to be two books, it makes even more sense!

Things I liked:

Qat'qa. She was awesome! I usually have a hard time relating to Klingons, so I'm not in love with them, but she was cool! I like her a lot! I hope there's more of Kat in upcoming books!

Geordi. Seriously, I don't want to be a butt, but in other books and in TNG, Geordi bored the poopie out of me. In Typhon Pact 4, every time there was a Geordi chapter, I put the book down and had to force myself to pick it back up! So boring! UNTIL THIS BOOK! Geordi was really interesting in this book! Lots of good character development! I really enjoyed it!

Barclay. LOVE Barclay! He's just so quirky and fun! I REALLY hope something comes of him and this "pretty" Romulan woman. It's an impossible relationship! I hope it's made possible, because I loved it!

Sela. WANT MORE SELA PLZ! She's fascinating!

Things I wasn't so sure of:

Guinan. So...with Guinan we hear that something has driven her to join Challenger on this mission. and in the end, I'm not sure there was a big omg moment of finding out the WHY. Maybe I missed something. I did finish this book at midnight and I was super tired. But I was expecting something big from that. or maybe it was just that she needed to be there to connect to these aliens? I don't know, I suppose I wanted it to be something personal....*shrug* Maybe it's my fault for my silly expectations!

I could've used more romance between Geordi and Leah. I read earlier in the thread that there was development in their relationship in another book..I haven't read that one, so I missed out!

Overall, a really good read! I give it an above average!
Old September 19 2011, 04:35 PM   #378
Lonemagpie
Writer

MagGu wrote: View Post
Qat'qa. She was awesome! I usually have a hard time relating to Klingons, so I'm not in love with them, but she was cool! I like her a lot! I hope there's more of Kat in upcoming books!
I'd really like to use her again - though she's not actually in any of the pitches I've got in, as they're all set in other eras.

Geordi. Seriously, I don't want to be a butt, but in other books and in TNG, Geordi bored the poopie out of me. In Typhon Pact 4, every time there was a Geordi chapter, I put the book down and had to force myself to pick it back up! So boring! UNTIL THIS BOOK! Geordi was really interesting in this book! Lots of good character development! I really enjoyed it!
Yeah, for some reason I never took much notice of Geordi myself, until I wrote some scenes with him in On The Spot - and then I realised "Hey, I've got a handle on this guy, and I think I could really take him places..."

I wonder what LeVar would think of Geordi's treatment in this...

It's an impossible relationship!
Yeah, that was why I wanted to suggest it - it just seemed like the sort of unlikely thing that happens, if you see what I mean. Opposites attract, and all.

Guinan. So...with Guinan we hear that something has driven her to join Challenger on this mission. and in the end, I'm not sure there was a big omg moment of finding out the WHY. Maybe I missed something. I did finish this book at midnight and I was super tired. But I was expecting something big from that. or maybe it was just that she needed to be there to connect to these aliens?
Partly, but also because of her part in Sela's origin.

Overall, a really good read! I give it an above average!
Yay!

Old September 19 2011, 10:46 PM   #379
Relayer1
Commodore

[QUOTE=Lonemagpie;5234472]
she's not actually in any of the pitches I've got in, as they're all set in other eras.

[quote]

So, what pitches have you got in Matey ? Not after plots or characters (I'm not that daft), just eras & series - i.e. 'TNG Pact era'.

Or, if you can't answer that, which series / crews / ships / eras do you like working with most ?

Or failing that - make up a question you like and answer that !

Last edited by Relayer1; September 19 2011 at 11:14 PM.
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2011, 09:31 AM   #380
Lonemagpie
Writer

[QUOTE=Relayer1;5235148][QUOTE=Lonemagpie;5234472]
she's not actually in any of the pitches I've got in, as they're all set in other eras.

So, what pitches have you got in Matey ? Not after plots or characters (I'm not that daft), just eras & series - i.e. 'TNG Pact era'.

Or, if you can't answer that, which series / crews / ships / eras do you like working with most ?

Or failing that - make up a question you like and answer that !
There a couple of Enterprise-era ones, a couple of cross-franchise ones...

And of course, Planet Of The Tribbles, which I have always thought so unlikely to be commissioned that I'm willing to name it, cos it can't be any more jinxed than it naturally is...

Old September 20 2011, 09:40 AM   #381
Relayer1
Commodore

[QUOTE=Lonemagpie;5236003][QUOTE=Relayer1;5235148]
Lonemagpie wrote: View Post

There a couple of Enterprise-era ones, a couple of cross-franchise ones...

And of course, Planet Of The Tribbles, which I have always thought so unlikely to be commissioned that I'm willing to name it, cos it can't be any more jinxed than it naturally is...
Is this a 'prequel' story, or the aftermath of the Great Klingon Tribble Hunt ? A Shakesperian tragedy no doubt...

I am enjoying the Ent. era at the moment (see, someone does !) - it would be good to see some post Romulan War developments. Good luck !
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2011, 08:37 PM   #382
JD
Admiral

^Yeah, I'd love to see some other than Mike Martin (with and without Andy Mangels) handle the Ent era.
Old September 20 2011, 08:39 PM   #383
DrBashir
Commander

I'd like to see what Andy could do on his own.
DrBashir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2011, 09:54 PM   #384
JD
Admiral

^Yeah. I'm really disappointing to see that he hasn't been able to continue writing Trek on his own. I haven't read any of Michael A. Martin's solo stuff, but from what I've heard it sounds like Andy Mangels was definitely the better of the two.
Old September 21 2011, 10:14 PM   #385
j3067
Lieutenant Commander

^ I would also really like to see a Trek book written solo by Andy Mangels. I don't know which or the two is better, but I know that I enjoyed the Martin & Mangels collaborations much more than I enjoyed Martin's Solo stuff.

I would also really like to see another book by David McIntee...I am certain that I like his solo stuff.
j3067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2011, 11:11 PM   #386
Lonemagpie
Writer

j3067 wrote: View Post
^ I would also really like to see a Trek book written solo by Andy Mangels. I don't know which or the two is better, but I know that I enjoyed the Martin & Mangels collaborations much more than I enjoyed Martin's Solo stuff.

I would also really like to see another book by David McIntee...I am certain that I like his solo stuff.
Well, I only do solo stuff!

I love your avatar...

Old September 23 2011, 03:22 PM   #387
j3067
Lieutenant Commander

Lonemagpie wrote: View Post
j3067 wrote: View Post

Well, I only do solo stuff!

I love your avatar...
Thanks, there is a full sized pick under the Jar Jar article on Wookieepedia but I did not think it would show up well as an avatar.
j3067 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 10:51 AM   #388
wahwahkits
Commander

View wahwahkits's Twitter Profile

just finished the book today. Overall a very enjoyable read. I loved the characterization and the book flowed along very nicely.
On the negative side the technobabble in Part II was like wading through mud and was so over the top it was ridiculous. I can't say I agreed with Scottys' ending either..
wahwahkits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 17 2011, 02:49 PM   #389
zarkon
Captain

That was my favourite bit, it's as if he's beaming into a new voyage. No doubt someone will bring him back in any event.

With Kirk & Data

but not janeway
Old October 17 2011, 03:37 PM   #390
Lonemagpie
Writer

wahwahkits wrote: View Post
just finished the book today. Overall a very enjoyable read. I loved the characterization and the book flowed along very nicely.
yay!

On the negative side the technobabble in Part II was like wading through mud and was so over the top it was ridiculous.
Ah well, can't win 'em all.

I can't say I agreed with Scottys' ending either..
*If* it's an ending. And not just a cliffhanger.