Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Future of Trek

Future of Trek Discussion of future Trek projects.

Old September 5 2011, 09:33 PM   #76
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Re: Re-booting TNG For TV?

I tend to ignore what happened in the Enterprise finale. Holodecks were known to malfunction, I mean they made the 30-something Will Riker look like he was in his 50s!

Trip was perhaps the best thing about Enterprise (the fact he was very easy on the eyes also helped), with the relationship between him and T'Pol (and I don't just mean the sex, the luck b****) being perhaps the best of the series. Had it not been for the two of them, I doubt I would have continued to watch it.
Old September 5 2011, 10:03 PM   #77
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

T'Girl wrote: View Post
Look at it this way, Enterprise's first season premiered when I was fourteen, all the geeks in my school could identify with Trip, he seemed somehow like he was in his mid-late teens, he was cool, laid back, played the harmonica and he was Mr. Popular aboard the ship.
I was the same age and I can back your statement up on that front. Similar thing happened at my school.
Old September 5 2011, 11:44 PM   #78
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Trip was probably my favorite character on Enterprise. T'Pol would be second.

As much as I liked Bakula, I often thought the show might have been a little more energetic if Trineer had been cast as the captain.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 12:19 AM   #79
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

View Jeff O'Connor's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Late grandmother once said something to that end. 2002 or so. So, first or second season.

"I like Scott Bakula. I just wish he'd go back to leaping. Now Trip, he's the reason I watch this show."
Old September 6 2011, 07:08 AM   #80
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

My gods! That would have been a good show (I always found Bakula to be a huge let down as Captain, IMHO), with Mr Trinneer getting his shirt off more often!

But who to cast as the new Charles "Trip" Tucker III...? Hmm...
Old September 6 2011, 08:56 AM   #81
ColeMercury
Lieutenant Commander

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
ColeMercury wrote: View Post
In other words, Nog without the delinquency?
Or Jake (a far more likable character). Just a normal teenager who happens to live in space and then gets a taster of life onboard the Flagship and wants to be a part of it.
That's Nog. Jake never wanted to be a part of Starfleet. Nog was the one who looked up to the Starfleet officers and aspired to be like them.

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
ColeMercury wrote: View Post
It is possible to keep Wesley a prodigy without making him save the ship all the time.
They don't seem able to manage it. We had to suffer him for three and a half seasons, then had to suffer Seven being rammed down our throats in Voyager for four seasons. One person always saving the day gets very tired, very quickly (IMHO), and is one that that always makes me switch off.
Doesn't mean it's impossible. Only means the writers were lazy.
ColeMercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 12:45 AM   #82
TheDolphin
Ensign

I'd love to see a brand-new post-VOY series, which combines characters from TNG, DS9 and VOY (basically any of the leads that would do it), whether it's about the USS Titan or another ship, as long as there are recognizable faces.

V.
TheDolphin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 01:44 AM   #83
Dukhat
Commodore

TheDolphin wrote: View Post
I'd love to see a brand-new post-VOY series, which combines characters from TNG, DS9 and VOY (basically any of the leads that would do it), whether it's about the USS Titan or another ship, as long as there are recognizable faces.
The chances of that happening are slim to none.
Old September 21 2011, 01:45 PM   #84
Trekker82
Lieutenant

While I would love to have another Star Trek series on TV, a reboot-antyhing-would not be allowed, if I were in charge. Why not continue on after Voyager? For example, after Romulus was destroyed, the series could be based on the fallout of the Empire and how the quadrant(s) are affected.
Trekker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2011, 07:16 PM   #85
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Why not continue on after Voyager?
Because that series was a failure in the ratings. The successful Star Trek is what JJ Abrams is doing now. Hollywood likes success a whole lot and doesn't like failure at all.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 12:34 AM   #86
Trekker82
Lieutenant

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Because that series was a failure in the ratings. The successful Star Trek is what JJ Abrams is doing now. Hollywood likes success a whole lot and doesn't like failure at all.
I dissagree with that, I think a lot of people felt that Abram's Trek was a massive failure that is only loosely built on Star Trek with disregard for any respect for Star Trek.

I understand that Hollywood caters to the nearly non-existent attention span of the younger generation who craves explosions, sex and poor character development.
Trekker82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22 2011, 01:18 AM   #87
Jetfire

So do a JJ on TNG for TV!
Old September 22 2011, 02:07 PM   #88
Captaindemotion
Vice Admiral

Trekker82 wrote: View Post
I dissagree with that, I think a lot of people felt that Abram's Trek was a massive failure that is only loosely built on Star Trek with disregard for any respect for Star Trek.

I understand that Hollywood caters to the nearly non-existent attention span of the younger generation who craves explosions, sex and poor character development.
Regardless of what one may feel about the artistic merits of the movie, it was a financial success. And that's all that counts in Hollywood.
Old September 22 2011, 03:49 PM   #89
Dukhat
Commodore

Trekker82 wrote: View Post
I disagree with that, I think a lot of people felt that Abram's Trek was a massive failure that is only loosely built on Star Trek with disregard for any respect for Star Trek.

And I disagree with everything you've written. I loved the new movie and thought JJ was very faithful and respectful to TOS. I am 38 years old and clearly not the "younger generation" demographic that "craves explosions, sex and poor character development." And I will add that I am just as much of a Star Trek fanatic as anyone else on this board.
Old September 22 2011, 04:20 PM   #90
OverJoyJackson
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think doing any TREK TV series now would be a very risky idea. A friend of mine told me that if you were to watch every episode and movie of TREK made already, it would take you, 24 hours a day, nearly six weeks to see it all. That is just way too much TREK. I think "normal" people stopped watching because it got boring and they were retelling the same stories over and over and over.

Star Trek XI, whether you liked it or not, was a big hit. TREK has finally grown beyond TV and should exist only at the theaters. I'm not even sure if a TREK tv show would be a ratings winner, if it went up against THE X FACTOR or idiotic reality stuff. Do we really want to see TREK get beat up in the ratings by THE BIGGEST LOSER? What an irony that would be.

Having said that? The only way a TREK series would work, IMO, is on SHOWTIME or HBO. Something like DEXTER or THE WALKING DEAD that went no more than 12 episodes a year and was tightly written. This would eliminate the fluffy idiotic episodes all TREK series produced an over abudance of (how much of the 6 week viewing time would actually be "good" TV?)
OverJoyJackson is offline   Reply With Quote