RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 135,721
Members: 24,211
Currently online: 759
Newest member: dmhp32

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 21 2011, 01:25 AM   #3241
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

Re: Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

I thought Superman III was a pretty terrible movie. The fact that it was a lousy, unfunny comedy didn't help.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2011, 01:27 AM   #3242
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

It sucked...I think I've seen it once as a child and that's it. Quest For Peace isn't any better but I'd watch that over III any day.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2011, 01:28 AM   #3243
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
I thought Superman III was a pretty terrible movie. The fact that it was a lousy, unfunny comedy didn't help.
Ha, whoa, wait, the fact that it was unfunny?
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2011, 02:01 AM   #3244
Gojira
Commodore

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
It sucked...I think I've seen it once as a child and that's it. Quest For Peace isn't any better but I'd watch that over III any day.
I don't think it was much better but I did like IV better than II.

However it has been such a long time since I have seen Superman III that I decided to rent it from the Library.
Old September 21 2011, 04:19 AM   #3245
Captain Mike
Commodore

Space Therapist wrote: View Post
Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
I don't think it was much better but I did like IV better than II.

However it has been such a long time since I have seen Superman III that I decided to rent it from the Library.
If they played it straight out as a dramatic presentation..I feel it would be better than II. But Lester must have been a fan of the Batman TV series back in the late 60's...
Old September 21 2011, 05:26 AM   #3246
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

For what its worth, I like Superman III. No, it isn't a good movie, but it suffers from the goofy comedy bits that really don't work that well. The plot is kinda neat and I really like the "evil Superman". Also, the junkyard fight is fantastic. I guess the film is just a lot of lost potential.

Superman IV, on the other hand, is terrible all around. Its like they were not even trying. I'm surprised people like it better than III. If Superman IV did anything good, it was that it led to Margot Kidder's hilarious interview on Letterman where she subtly badmouthed the film.
Old September 21 2011, 05:28 AM   #3247
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I sorta like Superman IV... well, as much as I like any of the first four Supermans, which is to say not a great deal.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2011, 05:39 AM   #3248
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

As bad as Superman III and IV are... the one thing you can't say is that Christopher Reeve wasn't giving it his all. He doesn't sleepwalk through either of those movies, even when they're coming apart around him.
Old September 21 2011, 06:29 AM   #3249
Saul
Rear Admiral

Superman III was more of a Richard Pryor movie. At least IV had it's heart in the right place and tried to get back to the magic of the franchise.
Old September 21 2011, 07:11 AM   #3250
CorporalCaptain
Vice Admiral

I found Pamela Stephenson and Annette O'Toole to be effective diversions.
Old September 21 2011, 01:08 PM   #3251
Jetfire

Count me in as one of those that liked Superman III...IV, not so much...but as pointed out above Reeve puts in a great performance even if those 2 films are lousy.
Old September 21 2011, 01:28 PM   #3252
Chemahkuu
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Yahoo to Chemahkuu

I'm really not a fan of III, but I'll admit to always having a liking for IV, if only for the concept of the villain. And as others have said Reeves didn't skimp on either of them, the junkyard fight is a powerful scene and the best part of that movie.
Old September 21 2011, 01:30 PM   #3253
indolover
Fleet Captain

Broccoli wrote: View Post
For what its worth, I like Superman III. No, it isn't a good movie, but it suffers from the goofy comedy bits that really don't work that well. The plot is kinda neat and I really like the "evil Superman". Also, the junkyard fight is fantastic. I guess the film is just a lot of lost potential.

Superman IV, on the other hand, is terrible all around. Its like they were not even trying. I'm surprised people like it better than III. If Superman IV did anything good, it was that it led to Margot Kidder's hilarious interview on Letterman where she subtly badmouthed the film.
Superman IV had crappy effects, and a silly plot overall. It makes me wonder though, Superman I and II had IMO effects that compare well even today. The junkyard fight was good, but it made me laugh both Clark Kent and evil Superman thought any of the things they used to hurt each other actually would. The only thing would be Kryptonite, but even then that is harmful to both of them.
indolover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2011, 02:22 PM   #3254
Admiral Buzzkill
The Legend

The fourth Superman movie was barely a movie. I caught it on VHS a couple of years later. It sucked.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21 2011, 02:39 PM   #3255
Anwar
Vice Admiral

I liked Superman III, actually. If only for the Red Kryptonite plot thing with the Evil Superman.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote