Superman (casting, rumors, pix till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Obiwanshinobi, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought Superman III was a pretty terrible movie. The fact that it was a lousy, unfunny comedy didn't help.

2. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

It sucked...I think I've seen it once as a child and that's it. Quest For Peace isn't any better but I'd watch that over III any day.

3. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Ha, whoa, wait, the fact that it was unfunny?

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I don't think it was much better but I did like IV better than II.

However it has been such a long time since I have seen Superman III that I decided to rent it from the Library.

5. Captain Mike

Captain Mike Commodore Commodore

If they played it straight out as a dramatic presentation..I feel it would be better than II. But Lester must have been a fan of the Batman TV series back in the late 60's...:rolleyes:

6. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

For what its worth, I like Superman III. No, it isn't a good movie, but it suffers from the goofy comedy bits that really don't work that well. The plot is kinda neat and I really like the "evil Superman". Also, the junkyard fight is fantastic. I guess the film is just a lot of lost potential.

Superman IV, on the other hand, is terrible all around. Its like they were not even trying. I'm surprised people like it better than III. If Superman IV did anything good, it was that it led to Margot Kidder's hilarious interview on Letterman where she subtly badmouthed the film. :lol:

7. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I sorta like Superman IV... well, as much as I like any of the first four Supermans, which is to say not a great deal.

8. Brikar99

Brikar99 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As bad as Superman III and IV are... the one thing you can't say is that Christopher Reeve wasn't giving it his all. He doesn't sleepwalk through either of those movies, even when they're coming apart around him.

9. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Superman III was more of a Richard Pryor movie. At least IV had it's heart in the right place and tried to get back to the magic of the franchise.

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I found Pamela Stephenson and Annette O'Toole to be effective diversions.

11. Jetfire

Jetfire Guest

Count me in as one of those that liked Superman III...IV, not so much...but as pointed out above Reeve puts in a great performance even if those 2 films are lousy.

12. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I'm really not a fan of III, but I'll admit to always having a liking for IV, if only for the concept of the villain. And as others have said Reeves didn't skimp on either of them, the junkyard fight is a powerful scene and the best part of that movie.

13. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Superman IV had crappy effects, and a silly plot overall. It makes me wonder though, Superman I and II had IMO effects that compare well even today. The junkyard fight was good, but it made me laugh both Clark Kent and evil Superman thought any of the things they used to hurt each other actually would. The only thing would be Kryptonite, but even then that is harmful to both of them.

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The fourth Superman movie was barely a movie. I caught it on VHS a couple of years later. It sucked.

15. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I liked Superman III, actually. If only for the Red Kryptonite plot thing with the Evil Superman.

16. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

I've expunged all but the '78 film from memory.

17. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Agreed. And poor old IV had a budget that wouldn't cover Michael Bay's daily coke intake.

18. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Judging by how hopped up Bay's movies always are, that might not be as small a budget as you'd think ;)

19. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

I always got the impression that the fight was a representation of the psychological Superman was having, and not that he was actually split in two and was duking it out with himself.

20. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

That did occur to me ... ;)