To Be Takei Review by Spencer Blohm
By: T'Bonz on Jul 24

Mulgrew: Playing Red

Hallmark 2015 Trek Ornaments

Funko Mini Spock
By: T'Bonz on Jul 23

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek Fandom > Fan Productions

Fan Productions Creating our own Trek canon!

Old September 19 2011, 09:51 PM   #31
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...
Re: Any news on Cawley's Buck Rogers and Wild Wild West remakes?

^ Them too.
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 11:47 PM   #32
Maurice
Vice Admiral

You need up-front capital investment to make the show. Therein lies the trick. Sponsors generally pay to have the advertising alongside a program. They don't usually pay up-front so you can make it.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25 2011, 09:41 PM   #33
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Gotta wonder if the above poster speaks of the pompatus of love....
Old September 25 2011, 10:58 PM   #34
Captain Robert April
Vice Admiral

Location: In selfless service to fandom, on the road to becoming a Star Trek trivia god...

He's a joker, he's a smoker, he's a midnight toker...
Captain Robert April is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 12:04 AM   #35
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Maurice wrote: View Post
You need up-front capital investment to make the show. Therein lies the trick. Sponsors generally pay to have the advertising alongside a program. They don't usually pay up-front so you can make it.
They do when it comes to daytime broadcast television. Virtually every program aired during the daytime, be it a talk show, a game show, or a soap opera, declares at some point: "The following companies or individuals have provided production assistance (and/or prizes), in exchange for the following promotional consideration" which is followed by a flurry of very short bundled ads. In other words, these folks collectively paid most or all of a show's production costs up front, with the understanding that they'd all get these brief bundled advertisements in return. Ads that are actually a part of the show, and will air every time this episode airs, independent of what the network or local broadcaster would normally charge for the equivalent commercial time.
Old September 26 2011, 07:10 AM   #36
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Daytime TV isn't a business I know as well as some other parts of the TV business, but the quote you post doesn't say anything about paying up-front for the production. Prizes are provided when someone wins, not before the show is made. Production assistance sounds like providing prizes to show on the set, items to appear in the production, etc., not up-front capital investment to build sets, hire crew, etc. Please feel free to educate me if you have some references to how this works that I'm unaware of.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old September 26 2011, 07:13 AM   #37
Maurice
Vice Admiral

Captain Robert April wrote: View Post
You guys are about 38 years late. Where humor is concerned, better never than late.

BTW, the "Maurice" in that song is a reference to the song "Enter Maurice" on an even earlier album.
—Glen Larson, 2010
Old September 26 2011, 06:04 PM   #38
chardman
Vice Admiral

View chardman's Twitter Profile

Production assistance sounds like providing prizes to show on the set, items to appear in the production, etc., not up-front capital investment to build sets, hire crew, etc. Please feel free to educate me if you have some references to how this works that I'm unaware of.
No, "Production Assistance" sounds like they provide assistance in the production itself, which is exactly what it usually refers to. I wish I could provide some documentation to back this up. but this is one of those things that the industry doesn't like to share, and tends to be a bit hush-hush about. (I know about it because of a friend who used to work for Tribune Broadcasting, which is one of the nation's leading syndicators).

Some of the ins and outs of it can be found in the Promotional Consideration Rule of the FCC (Sections 508/908). You might be able to find this online, though I just tried a quick search, and came up dry. (The FCC online document database and search engine really SUCKS!) I know a pdf of it is available somewhere online (or at least used to be) because I used to have a copy of it which I know I downloaded from a .gov website of some kind.

Anyhow...

The kind of bundled advertising used by daytime broadcast shows often pays for most all of the production costs of a show, entirely up front. In the case of syndicated shows (and syndication is still very prevalent in daytime TV) this permits the producers of a show to sell their show to broadcasters at little or no cost, thereby assuring wide market coverage, not only for their show, but for the sponsors who paid for the bundled advertising within it. The bigger the market distribution, the more the bundled "Production Assistance ads" are worth. And because these ads are contained in the body of the program itself, it doesn't use up any of the usual ad breaks for local broadcasters to exploit.

I mean, you don't think that most of those syndicated daytime talk shows are on the air because they're all that popular, do you? They're on the air because they're dirt cheap to local broadcasters, and even though they don't command very good ad rate prices for a broadcaster to exploit, they're so cheap that those smaller ad rates often generate much higher overall profits for the broadcasters than the pricey syndicated reruns of more popular network shows like "Friends" or "Everybody Loves Raymond". Heck, even older syndicated mainstays like "Afl" and "Facts of Life" are still pretty expensive compared to ultra inexpensive fare like "Judge Joe Brown" and "The Wendy Williams Show".

Last edited by chardman; September 26 2011 at 06:40 PM.
chardman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 07:22 PM   #39
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

You guys are about 38 years late. Where humor is concerned, better never than late.

BTW, the "Maurice" in that song is a reference to the song "Enter Maurice" on an even earlier album.
Great. Now if we could explain "pompatus..."
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 07:49 PM   #40
GSchnitzer
Co-Executive Producer

Send a message via AIM to GSchnitzer Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to GSchnitzer Send a message via Yahoo to GSchnitzer

Dennis wrote: View Post

Great. Now if we could explain "pompatus..."
Pompatus would appear to be a lyric from *another* much older song, misheard by Steve Miller. The word from that older song "The Letter" written and sung by the late Vernon Green, is puppetutes--women who are half puppet and half prostitute. Green was discussing the advanatages of having "puppetutes of love."

More at Cecil Adams' column The Straight Dope here:

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...mpatus-of-love
http://www.startrekphase2.com
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3348883/
GSchnitzer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 26 2011, 08:36 PM   #41
Tom
Rear Admiral

Kickstarter does not work. Either you don't get enough pledges (as in this case) or money gets pledged, but when it comes time to collect then it fails. I have seen this happen to a couple start-up studios looking to film a pilot. Getting reliable sponsor and investors in these economic times is very very difficult.
Old September 26 2011, 08:39 PM   #42
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Tom wrote: View Post
Kickstarter does not work.
It works for about four out of ten projects.
Old September 26 2011, 08:42 PM   #43
Tom
Rear Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Tom wrote: View Post
Kickstarter does not work.
It works for about four out of ten projects.
The lucky ones.. It's always worth a shot though, just don't count on it.
Old September 26 2011, 08:47 PM   #44
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Four out of ten. If I could get those odds out of the state lottery I'd feel silly calling it gambling.

It's like anything else - there's some luck involved, but ultimately you have to be offering something that people feel a strong desire to support beyond a momentary "that's cool" impulse and some lip service.
Old September 27 2011, 01:22 AM   #45
andriech
Commander

Send a message via AIM to andriech

Well, as the Buck Rogers' series has gotten a lot of chat here, I'm going to address the other part of the question.

Cawley Entertainment Company/Retro Film Studios LLC is going to start filming their first "Back to the Wild Wild West" episode from November 1-10, 2011. It will either be "The Night of the Golden Spike" or "The Night of the Bloody Terror". Final decision on that is still pending.....