RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 139,689
Members: 24,826
Currently online: 514
Newest member: Old Man 51

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old September 19 2011, 07:00 PM   #271
Kestra
Vice Admiral

Re: Netflix shoots itself in the foot... aka no more free streaming

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
I'm really impressed by how quickly Netflix went from having one cheap, convenient service to two less cheap, less convenient services...
Ugh. Yes. I've been toying with the idea of adding DVDs back onto my plan and I know I can still do that but it's just less appealing. I liked having everything on one website, of looking up a movie or show and seeing if it was streaming or on disc and being able to select it immediately. I'm already annoyed with their interface and now if I want a movie I have to sign up for the other service and do a search on two websites.

The silly thing is that it's not even that bad and I know that the things I'm complaining about are minor, but it's like they went about the changes in a way to make you really feel all of them and hate them all.

On another note, I've seen a lot of headlines about how many subscribers they've lost, but has anyone seen stats about people changing plans? I'd be interested to see how many people went to a lower priced plan.
Kestra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 07:04 PM   #272
RoJoHen
Awesome

Kestra wrote: View Post
The silly thing is that it's not even that bad and I know that the things I'm complaining about are minor, but it's like they went about the changes in a way to make you really feel all of them and hate them all.
Netflix has done a really shitty job of communicating with their customers with all of these recent changes. I'm more annoyed about that than any of the changes themselves.
Old September 19 2011, 07:06 PM   #273
LitmusDragon
Commodore

From the Fark thread about this:

"1. Create new industry (DVDs by mail)
2. Do it way better than anyone else
3. Drive nearly all the competitors out of the DVD rental business and have a near-monopoly
4. Build up over a decade of brand recognition
5. Throw it all away.
6. Focus instead on delivery system that has tons of competitors and burdened by content providers with draconian licensing contracts"

That about sums it up
Old September 19 2011, 07:10 PM   #274
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Netflix has done a really shitty job of communicating with their customers with all of these recent changes. I'm more annoyed about that than any of the changes themselves.
I feel like they have also done a shitty job of LISTENING to the customers.
Old September 19 2011, 07:14 PM   #275
Guartho
Rear Admiral

Captain Craig wrote: View Post
^^^
Exactly. It would have created a precedent. Suddenly HBO, Showtime and maybe even media conglomerates like NBC/Sci-Fi and their host of channels would've have insisted on a unique pricing structure for their product.
You know, I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to this. I've not had cable/satellite for more than 6 years because I don't want to pay for a bunch of crap I don't want. I've always said that I'd have it in a heartbeat if I could build my own package of channels ala-carte. If Netflix essentially made that available to me and the network shows were available for streaming as soon as they aired my spending with Netflix would jump from $8/mo to probably $40 or $50.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Guartho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 07:30 PM   #276
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

"Qwikster"?

Those fools need to hire some competent marketing/branding/strategy help immediately before they do any more damage to themselves.

They could have just called it Netflix By Mail. Or Netflix II: The Revenge. Or Netflix Old School...or...something...
Netflix Classic.

However, the streaming just isn't good enough yet to justify this move so soon
Which is why they need to keep the DVD business bundled with streaming. The streaming part is the future, but until they can build a comparable library like they have with the DVDs, it will not be "there" yet. The DVD customers are the seeds from which the streaming business will grow.

They can charge a separate pricing structure for DVD vs streaming but really what I would have done is just played along with Starz, and priced Starz content at a premium right at the point where the customer makes the "add to queue/don't add to queue" decision. And make damn sure they understand that the price hike is for Starz, not for Netflix generally. I'd put their fucking logo right next to the icon that says this costs you two rentals not just one.

If customers want to throw a fit, let them throw a fit at Starz. If all this shit had blown up in Starz' face, that would have sent a chilling message to studios that they better not get egotistical about how much their content is actually valued by subscribers. Netflix could have used the shitstorm to their strategic advantage, to gain leverage over content producers, instead of being hurt by it. The whole logic of the internet is driving digital content down, down, down towards zero. Starz and the other content makers can fight all they want, but they are fighting the tide.

Netflix can still have a business as the YouTube of professionally produced content, and that is how they should start seeing themselves now. YouTube's value is in its size and its community which is rating and sorting content, and publicizing it, for free. Netflix's business is going to be the free labor provided by its customers because content will eventually be worth nothing. Starz is on the wrong side of that equation, but Netflix is apparently too stupid to understand that they are on the right side, and should take advantage of that!

First they remove the community features.
That's the stupidest thing - they need to be adding community features, because that's what their business is going to be one day.

Last edited by Temis the Vorta; September 19 2011 at 07:43 PM.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 08:38 PM   #277
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I feel like they have also done a shitty job of LISTENING to the customers.
Agreed. They've basically shot themselves so many times in the foot that it's pathetic.
Random_Spock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 08:41 PM   #278
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

This photo is great - read the logo of the DVD he's holding up.

Secret message to shareholders?
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 08:46 PM   #279
Random_Spock
Fleet Captain

View Random_Spock's Twitter Profile

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
This photo is great - read the logo of the DVD he's holding up.

Secret message to shareholders?
Brilliant . Maybe XD. Crash ftw. That's one time that that movie is good for.
Random_Spock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 20 2011, 01:45 AM   #280
Brolan
Commodore

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
I don't think they've done themselves any favors by breaking these two components into separate websites. If they're going to push me to a new website for my DVD queue, maybe it's time to take another look at Blockbuster's service.

Well let's see here, One DVD at a time Blockbuster $10, Netflix $8
Two out at a time, Blockbuster $15, Netflix $12. Yup, boy those Netflix guys are really screwing everyone, I can't wait for everyone to join Blockbuster so they can pay more.
Old September 20 2011, 01:55 AM   #281
gh4chiefs
Rear Admiral

BB includes blu-ray and video games at those prices. Those service are extra on Netflix.
Old September 20 2011, 02:18 AM   #282
RoJoHen
Awesome

gh4chiefs wrote: View Post
BB includes blu-ray and video games at those prices. Those service are extra on Netflix.
See, rather than dividing Netflix into two companies and getting rid of DVDs, they should have been looking to try and merge with other companies...like Gamefly and Redbox.
Old September 20 2011, 02:19 AM   #283
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

23skidoo wrote: View Post
The new name sounds like it was invented by a 5 year old.

Alex
No just someone with the mind of a 5 year old.
Old September 20 2011, 02:23 AM   #284
RoJoHen
Awesome

The new name just doesn't make sense. Nothing about it implies "movie rental."
Old September 20 2011, 02:26 AM   #285
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

The new name just doesn't make sense. Nothing about it implies "movie rental."
There's also a movie site named "Flixster", which sounds a lot like "Qwikster". So they have no brand recognition, and the name they do have is quickly associated with things other than Netflix. I mean, seriously, whoever said "Mailflix" or "Netflix Classic" would make more sense. I agree with the idea of what they're doing, but the name wasn't the best choice.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote