TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 19 2011, 04:27 AM   #616
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

I enjoyed it. The curve balls in the first issue were fun.
Old September 19 2011, 04:46 AM   #617
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Damn, I said that I was going to buy 10 comics with this relaunch and save some space for other titles from other companies, but now I am up to 12 and the list is threatening to grow.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 05:53 AM   #618
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

theenglish wrote: View Post
^^^^ Right, this was the retcon I was asking about originally, which has already been explained. Back during the Reign of Superman era though, it was "correct".

Of course, everything has been changed now.

Do people feel the new Superboy is worth buying? I wasn't overly impressed with the artwork, but from what I've heard of the story, it sounds compelling.
I like the cover art. It's nice to know that there's a place at DC for people who can't draw ellipses.

Damn, I said that I was going to buy 10 comics with this relaunch and save some space for other titles from other companies, but now I am up to 12 and the list is threatening to grow.
And only halfway through, too...

Yeah, I've wound up buying a lot more than I planned to, along the lines of ten so far when I'd planned on roughly one, Batwoman, with a possibility of Firestorm (basically just to support Gail Simone in a way that didn't make me feel dirty, e.g., not Batgirl-related). DC: better at marketing than I ever realized?

Granted, the only one I'm genuinely excited about the next issue of is Animal Man (well, and Batwoman), and there are maybe a few I will pick up the second installment of. Not Grifter, of course. That piece of crap can't get cancelled fast enough. I think I was way generous to give it a D+.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 06:50 AM   #619
theenglish
Rear Admiral

I am not a fan of introducing the Wildstorm characters into the main DC universe as most of them are rip offs of DC characters anyway. They really serve the same role as Squadron Supreme over in Marvel.
theenglish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 07:37 AM   #620
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I thought Grifter would work out, though.

I'm really surprised none of the Suicide Squad people are Wildstorm refugees. Rose Tattoo or Zealot, for example.

The really problematic WS people are the Authority and Majestic and to a lesser degree quasi-obscure properties like Sleeper. Then again, they publish Batman comics, I'm sure Sleeper could fit in somewhere. Ed Brubaker might get mad tho.

Old September 19 2011, 12:43 PM   #621
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

Well I have just about read them all and have only been disapointed by a couple. Legion Lost, Grifter, Mr. Terrific and Hawk & Dove just didnt grab me on first readings. The art of H&D and LL was hard to get past and the stories in the other two just did not get anything exciting going. On the other hand Animal Man and Detective were both terrific books.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 02:17 PM   #622
Hound of UIster
Rear Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
I thought Grifter would work out, though.

I'm really surprised none of the Suicide Squad people are Wildstorm refugees. Rose Tattoo or Zealot, for example.

The really problematic WS people are the Authority and Majestic and to a lesser degree quasi-obscure properties like Sleeper. Then again, they publish Batman comics, I'm sure Sleeper could fit in somewhere. Ed Brubaker might get mad tho.
Majestic was in the DCU briefly in a mini by Abnett and Lanning years ago.
Old September 19 2011, 02:27 PM   #623
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Did they keep him in space? That sounds like something DnA would do.

Old September 19 2011, 02:33 PM   #624
JoeZhang
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Did they keep him in space? That sounds like something DnA would do.
No he was a short-term replacement for Superman when Superman was somewhere else (I can't actually remember where) - and then had a mini-series set on earth where he got a secret identity. Then.. em.. he went home...
JoeZhang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 05:29 PM   #625
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

I am not a fan of introducing the Wildstorm characters into the main DC universe as most of them are rip offs of DC characters anyway. They really serve the same role as Squadron Supreme over in Marvel.
I really wish there was a Planetary book in the DCnU.

I know it's not feasible for Ellis to write it or Cassaday to draw it. But if it were written under Ellis' direction, I'd be all over it.

Elijah Snow and his team investigating the secret history of the DCnU. It would be fantastic.

I should note that Planetary barely fit in the Wildstorm universe to start with. Hell, Wildstorm rebooted before Planetary #27, and that didn't affect the ending of Planetary one bit, with the world now a technological utopia thanks to Snow and the Planetary Foundation using the Four's technology.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 06:53 PM   #626
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

Rich from Bleeding Cool reports rumors of creative changes already in the relaunch creative teams...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/...ative-changes/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 07:47 PM   #627
Icemizer
Fleet Captain

I'm thinking some guys just couldnt handle the multi book grind every month or a few issues in they and their bosses realized they really didnt have a handle on the character in question and needed to be moved elsewhere. Getting the books out on time at least for the first year should be something DC has high on its important list.
Icemizer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 08:25 PM   #628
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

This is an interesting observation:

It’s a testament to the success of the DC Relaunch that there is so much professional gossip concerning it, and that so much of it I’ve found is incorrect is also a testament to how controlled the release of actual information is.
Most of the article is either a debunking or viewing with skepticism a lot of what's being rumored.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19 2011, 08:31 PM   #629
Misfit Toy
Caped Trek Mod

This too:
And there were also rumours that Ivan Brandon was stepping down from Men Of War, which I’ve been able to scotch. However I have been told from the source that scotched that story that Men Of War has been named as a book that will be cancelled with issue 6, along with a number of other books.
If true, it sounds like some titles should be viewed as mini-series rather than ongoing...
Old September 19 2011, 09:15 PM   #630
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
I really wish there was a Planetary book in the DCnU.

I know it's not feasible for Ellis to write it or Cassaday to draw it. But if it were written under Ellis' direction, I'd be all over it.

Elijah Snow and his team investigating the secret history of the DCnU. It would be fantastic.

I should note that Planetary barely fit in the Wildstorm universe to start with. Hell, Wildstorm rebooted before Planetary #27, and that didn't affect the ending of Planetary one bit, with the world now a technological utopia thanks to Snow and the Planetary Foundation using the Four's technology.
Which is a good argument for loose editorial control* and continuity only affecting one book, not for integration into the DCU, though.

*Although the fact it took ten years to push 27 issues isn't. Warren Ellis: a lazy jerk. "NO QUESTIONS ABOUT PLANETARY" "Finish your story, old man! No one cares about the Ultimate Fantastic Four!"