Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 17 2011, 01:32 AM   #586
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

1+1= Luthor
Old September 17 2011, 02:00 AM   #587
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Yes, but Fairchild has no idea who the human donor is - she even discounts the possibility that someone with such a personality could exist. And she concludes all of this, as far as we're told and shown, simply from Connor's repeated lack of empathy for the woman in the burning house. That might make Connor a number of things, but that his genes come from a megalomaniac doesn't follow logically from that.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2011, 02:41 AM   #588
sojourner
Admiral

The impression I got from it was "meh, it's a simulation, if I have to be in this VR setting I'll waste my time talking to the hot virtual girl".
Old September 17 2011, 03:46 AM   #589
Santa Kang
Fleet Admiral

Dennis wrote: View Post
Yes, but Fairchild has no idea who the human donor is - she even discounts the possibility that someone with such a personality could exist. And she concludes all of this, as far as we're told and shown, simply from Connor's repeated lack of empathy for the woman in the burning house. That might make Connor a number of things, but that his genes come from a megalomaniac doesn't follow logically from that.
I was joking.
Old September 17 2011, 05:13 PM   #590
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

I finally got around to reading my DC books.

Resurrection Man #1 - I only read spot issues of the first run back in the 90's. Usually cause of a crossover character appearing. I liked Resurrection Man but I never got on board. Was already reading/purchasing way too many back then to add another.
I decided this go around to start with the character from the beginning and make room for RM in the budget.

I liked what I saw. The plot was laid out clearly that both a Heaven and a Hell are interested in Mitch's soul. The first volley here was a type of Angel coming for him. I wonder who her carrier is to get God on a cellphone?! LOL

Anyway so my thought is this, if we are to assume that Heaven and Hell are of the Judaism and Christian faiths could other Religious deities also take an interest in Mitch? Now I wouldn't want the book to be JUST about spritual issues but if the title lasts, which is why I'm picking it up in case it's fate is that of the 1st, then it would be an avenue to explore perhaps.

Demon Knights #1 - I really knew nothing more of this title coming in other than Etrigan, Dark/Middle Ages and Madame Xanadu. Xanadu being a character I know of in name only, zip, zero and nada to I know of her background except magic is involved.

I mean it's a Jack Kirby character, I was going to try him out. Especially since Etrigan hasn't had much spotlight the past decade.

I really liked the issue. Unlike some I don't feel the intro's were rushed. It felt like a journey unraveling at a good pace. Unlike JLA which is going to take SIX issues to get all the players together. But I digress.

Didn't know Vandal Savage would show so for me that was a plus. As I read the Q&A in the back of the issue the writer described the book as a type of Magnificent Seven in the Dark Ages, so Vandal Savage is going to be a regular it seems. Cool.

I know nothing of this Sir Ystin The Shinning Knight. My first thought was "Hey, it's Loki's son" Assuming he's an existing character I'll Wiki him.

So Xanadu is having an affair with the same physical space regardless of whose home. Interesting. I wonder if that type personality was normal for her or if that's something new. Seems cold, I mean who am I to believe she really cares for? She could be lying to both or lying to one to protect the one she does love?

I didn't really notice it till I was on the DC boards but it seems the titles I'm trying out, for fear they could be first cancelled, are the ones under their DARK banner. I got Swamp Thing, Animal Man and now these two.
I may see if I can go ahead and get Frankenstein, Agent of Shade now. A few seem to have given that some good remarks upthread. Maybe go ahead and test out JLDark as well, both are ones I hadn't thought to get but maybe I'll stay with their DARK books outside of Aquaman which is going to be the only "hero" book I get.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2011, 05:29 PM   #591
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

It will probably turn out to be Luthor DNA. This Project NOWHERE seems as shady as Cadmus was. It was interesting that Lois was doing an investigation into it, which would imply that it isn't on the up and up

Looks like we're getting a new Ray mini-series stating in Dec.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09/...gray-and-igle/

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; September 18 2011 at 04:52 AM.
Admiral_Young is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2011, 04:48 PM   #592
Admiral Buzzkill
Fleet Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post
It will probably turn out to be Luthor DNA.
Yeah, I assume that they're not altering Superboy to such an extent that his gene donors are different.
Admiral Buzzkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2011, 07:49 PM   #593
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

Plus IIRC that little revelation was during Geoff Johns Teen Titan run. I doubt they would undo something Johns implemented.

Old September 18 2011, 09:01 PM   #594
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Plus IIRC that little revelation was during Geoff Johns Teen Titan run. I doubt they would undo something Johns implemented.
Right, originally he wasn't even a clone of Superman.
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2011, 09:09 PM   #595
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

In fairness, it's one of the better ideas Johns ever came up with.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2011, 09:12 PM   #596
Guy Gardener
Fleet Admiral

but they could draw from the third movie to increase the disturbingness of the character, right?

3 percent nicotine?

Troy Yingst. My Life as Liz
Guy Gardener is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2011, 09:28 PM   #597
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

^

SUPERGIRL#4

Trapped and powerless aboard a space station, Supergirl is at the mercy of an ingenious new foe who wants to learn everything there is to know about her. But Supergirl is more than just her powers, and she’ll soon show this foe – and all of Earth – what’s she truly capable of! Plus, more on the Girl of Steel’s mysterious origin!
Mysterious origin, huh? That worked out great last time!

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2011, 09:38 PM   #598
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ I'm still concerned with this new direction they are taking Supergirl in. Once again we get a totally new version of her. Seems this happens once every few years or so. Crisis. John Bryne Matrix version. Peter David angel version. Michael Turner version, and of course Karen Starr. Sigh. LOL.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; September 18 2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old September 18 2011, 09:43 PM   #599
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
In fairness, it's one of the better ideas Johns ever came up with.
I don't get this though. When Superboy was created, Luthor was in a clone body posing as his own son. When Cadmus took Superman's body to clone it, Luthor, Lois, and Supergirl worked to stop them. Did the retcon just completely ignore this story altogether? (I actually thought that this was just a Smallville invention originally.)
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18 2011, 09:55 PM   #600
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

No. It wasn't a "Smallville" invention, in fact Smallville took the Luthor/Clark Kent DNA thing and used it. Connor was originally thought to be the clone of Superman and Cadmus Director Paul Westfield. Johns retconned during his Teen Titans run that it was actually Lex whose DNA he possessed. In order to bring an inner conflict to the character. This also happened just before the great Titans Tomorrow story line (the first one).

I believe Lex dying and transferring himself to a clone body and pretending to be his son who spoke with an Australian accent has been retconned, or simply ignored. It hasn't been brought up in a very long time.