TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 15 2011, 06:27 PM   #16
Christopher
Writer

Re: CBS crime dramas spilling over into sci fi

Whofan wrote: View Post
CSI ... also did that story shortly after Lawrence Fishburne joined about a murder at a sci-fi convention, that was a send-up of Trek & BSG. It even had Ronald Moore, Grace Park and Kate Vernon in it!
Worth noting that CSI's showrunner at the time, and for most of its run, I think, was Naren Shankar, a veteran of ST:TNG, Farscape, and other genre shows, and the Trek-parody episode "A Space Oddity" was scripted by DS9/BSG alumni David Weddle & Bradley Thompson (who joined CSI's staff after BSG ended) from a story by Shankar. Also, the two CSI regulars who were portrayed in the episode as the biggest fans of the Trek-pastiche show, Hodges and Wendy, were both played by actors who have guest-starred on Star Trek.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 10:36 PM   #17
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Interesting - I had no idea that CSI had any sci fi content.

I'm assuming the "psychopath gene" show is inevitably going to go beyond the boundaries of accepted science because with someone from Dexter on board, it's inevitable that the main character is going to start having psychopathic tendencies caused by that nasty little gene.

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
...about a genetic scientist who uses his newfound discovery that he has the psychopath gene to help the FBI catch killers.
There's a risk of this topic giving the public the impression that there's nothing scary or wrong with authorities tracking down criminals based on their DNA (brrr) but there's also the potential to delve into the ethical issues raised by the intersection of genetics and law enforcement.
If you watch Dexter, you get the impression there's nothing wrong with being a serial killer as long as you only kill other murderers.
When the show started out, it was more of a question whether it's ok to be a serial killer if you only kill other murderers. But the show really hasn't continued to emphasize that point, and Michael C. Hall's charisma makes it hard to see the opposing viewpoint. The first season was really the only time they made an effort to depict the guy as truly dangerous and not just a vigilante who got his start in an unorthodox way.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 15 2011, 11:02 PM   #18
DevilEyes
Rear Admiral

View DevilEyes's Twitter Profile

23skidoo wrote: View Post
jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
So by CBS going a little Sci-fi they can keep telling crime stories but by altering reality they become different.
And they probably have a better chance of survival because they'll draw in viewers who'll watch CSI and NCIS but have no interest in watching something like Fringe which is more overtly SF. The odds are still very much against any SF series made for mainstream commercial networks lasting beyond a dozen episodes, so the ends justify the means.

Mind you, according to the Saturn Awards, the original CSI is actually science fiction; if so, then unbeknown to a lot of SF fans, that show has broken the American SF-series longevity records set by Stargate SG1 and Smallville. Though the Saturns seem to be the only place where CSI is ever considered sci-fi.

Alex
When did the Saturn awards pronounce CSI an SF show? Saturn awards include the genres of Science Fiction, Fantasy, Horror/Thriller and Action/Adventure. (These four genres are the categories they give Movie nominations from; for TV, they just nominated shows in "Network" and "Syndicated/Cable".) I'm pretty sure that CSI was there for the "thriller" part. Just like "The Closer", for instance.

my Buffy/Angel rewatch
DevilEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 03:18 AM   #19
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Cbs "source code" drama

THR reveals that CBS has picked up the rights from ABC to develop Duncan Jones’ “Source Code” into a TV series.
In the small screen version, the premise will be tweaked slightly, and will follow “three former federal agents who are part of a top-secret program [and] they’ll use Source Code technology to jump into the consciousness of people involved in tragic events.”
Http://blogs.indiewire.com/theplayli...dural_tv_show/

When i source code i figured it could be a tv series.

Via
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...pted-tv-236071
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 03:54 AM   #20
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Interest in sci fi at CBS? That is news! I thought since Jericho's cancellation, they had given up on sci fi working on their network at all.

But the problem still remains that any show that wants to survive on CBS has a high ratings hurdle. Person of Interest is light enough on sci fi that I think it has a pretty good chance. Multiple-reality scenarios might be pushing it, but it sounds like CBS is doing a lot more than "tweaking" the premise, and it's going to be more akin to Quantum Leap.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 02:09 PM   #21
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Sliders, Quantum Leap were one type of series but another one sounds awfully similar to Source Code:
Seven Days (1998-2001 UPN TV series)
The plot follows a secret branch of the United States' National Security Agency who have developed a time travelling device based upon alien technology found at Roswell. As the opening of the show says, the Chronosphere, or Backstep Sphere, sends "one human being back in time seven days" to avert disasters. The show's name refers to the fact that the Backstep Project can only backstep seven days because of limitations imposed by the fuel source and its reactor
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seven_Days_(TV_series)

Ill have to look it up on Netflix as I've not seen it. A commentet on the quiet Earth website mentioned it. Sounds like a good show.
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 02:49 PM   #22
Christopher
Writer

^I found Seven Days mediocre. It did have Norman Lloyd in it, though, and he's cool. (He was Picard's mentor Professor Galen in TNG's "The Chase," and of course much earlier was a member of Orson Welles's Mercury Theater and the villain in Hitchcock's Saboteur.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 03:04 PM   #23
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
So yeah, I think CSI can validly be called science fiction. It's an alternate universe where science and technology more advanced than our own is integrated more fully into police work. This universe also tends to have a disproportionate number of serial killers who follow the careers of these glamorous science cops and go out of their way to challenge them.
I agree with everything you wrote.

It's also a universe where 99% of murders involve rich, beautiful white people and some elaborate scheme or conspiracy.

In reality, most murders are in impoverished areas, and involve minorities and other criminal activity, such as drug dealing, rape, or gang activity. Especially in Miami.

I remember the one CSI Miami episode I saw that tried to depict a gang related murder was almost comical in it's depiction of African Americans as gangsta rapper stereotypes.
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16 2011, 04:47 PM   #24
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

TremblingBluStar wrote: View Post
Christopher wrote: View Post
So yeah, I think CSI can validly be called science fiction. It's an alternate universe where science and technology more advanced than our own is integrated more fully into police work. This universe also tends to have a disproportionate number of serial killers who follow the careers of these glamorous science cops and go out of their way to challenge them.
I agree with everything you wrote.

It's also a universe where 99% of murders involve rich, beautiful white people and some elaborate scheme or conspiracy.

In reality, most murders are in impoverished areas, and involve minorities and other criminal activity, such as drug dealing, rape, or gang activity. Especially in Miami.

I remember the one CSI Miami episode I saw that tried to depict a gang related murder was almost comical in it's depiction of African Americans as gangsta rapper stereotypes.
CSI Miami is - and I believe it's intentional - a more comic book version of CSI. I remember reading an interview with David Caruso where he was fully aware of the cheesiness and awkwardness of Horatio Cane. It's like the Baywatch of crime shows. The characters and their interaction is superficial at best, nothing compared to the characters in CSI Las Vegas, for example.
JarodRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17 2011, 01:25 AM   #25
TremblingBluStar
Vice Admiral

JarodRussell wrote: View Post
It's like the Baywatch of crime shows.
I thought that's what Baywatch Nights was for!
TremblingBluStar is offline   Reply With Quote