TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 12 2011, 05:43 AM   #1336
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Re: Minecraft

Cutter John wrote: View Post
Hmmm, and according to rumor, the official release of 1.8 is on Monday.
Tomorrow, or Monday next week?
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2011, 07:28 AM   #1337
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Location: Beyond the wall of sleep, somewhere south of Seattle.

itisnotlogical wrote: View Post
Cutter John wrote: View Post
Hmmm, and according to rumor, the official release of 1.8 is on Monday.
Tomorrow, or Monday next week?
Tomorrow was the date I've seen thrown around the forum. But as always, take with a grain of salt.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12 2011, 01:19 PM   #1338
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

I'll be so glad when I have my main computer back and can play this again. I've got company for all of this week (and last week) and they've taken over my computer because I'm too nice to make them use my evil, evil netbook.

But this might work out fine, if 1.8 is released today. By the time I get my computer back, we should be up to 1.8_12 or something.
Solstice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 02:02 AM   #1339
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

No release today darnit. Although Jeb tweets that he is planning to release an updated pre-release version on Tuesday. http://twitter.com/#!/jeb_

Heres a current list of bug fixes.

* SSP chunk memory leak
* Mineshaft density (half now)
* Increased stronghold count to 3 per map instead of one
* Furnace tile entity crash
* Crafting bench ghost items
* Vines (and leaves) crash in nether
* Use item animation in SMP (blocking and eating)
* Blocking in SMP
* Sprinting with right-click or sneaking
* Added some blocks to creative mode
* Fixed dropping items
* Nothing can be eaten in creative mode
* Enderman client-side problems
* Chicken and cow drop burned food
* Squids drop exp
* 1.7 worlds should get structures
* Farmlands rejecting melon and pumpkin seeds
* Bonemeal on melons and pumpkins
* Bonemeal on mushroom only works on dirt or grass
* Added item drops for cracked and mossy smooth stone brick
* Adjusted fog strength at low positions

I'm especially happy about that last one. One thing I'm unhappy about currently is that the deepr you go, the darker it is. My giant underground mine now looks like this, despite loads of torches and the brightness setting turned all the way up.

"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Old September 13 2011, 09:29 AM   #1340
judge alba
senior street judge

it's kind of funny on the minecraft forums the amount of sulking going on because 1.8 has been delayed. I often wonder sometimes if people forget that the game is still in beta and is not yet a finished game, or the fact that the pre-release has thrown up some bugs that are or have been fixed.
still makes me chuckle at the posts of 'I'm going to delete mine craft blah blah blah'

me, i'm looking forwards to 1.8 but i'd rather wait until they've got it sorted out first. i've always got other games to play things to do
Firm as a mountain.
Strike as powerful as thunder.
judge alba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 01:34 PM   #1341
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

View Solstice's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Solstice Send a message via AIM to Solstice Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Solstice Send a message via Yahoo to Solstice

But... but... we paid money! Notch owes us! *whine whine whine*

Yeah, I've seen that, too. Pretty much why I stay out of the general discussion threads on the Minecraft forums. I go there for texture packs and build ideas and the occasional mod, and that's it. The actual Minecraft community is a bunch of fucking crybabies.

My main gripe is that every major update introduces a fuckload of bugs. I would rather they be delayed so bugs can be fixed. Maybe that's what this pre-release was all about? If so, I am totally in favor of them doing pre-releases going forward, so those of us who want to wait for a "production" release can have more assurances that it's not a buggy disaster.
Old September 13 2011, 02:41 PM   #1342
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

Speaking of self-entitled fans:

Carl Manneh wrote:
Minecraft fans have started calling me in the middle of the night to ask when 1.8 will be out. Please don't do that.

The official forums have too many kids on it, it seems. It's just not worth the grief to visit there except for mods and texture packs. I prefer Minecraft's reddit page because there's fewer assholes (and the ones that are there get voted down) and Notch and Jeb post there occasionally. For example, pigs now have snouts because there was a semi-jokey thread demanding it and Notch thought it was funny.

The pre-release system is the best way to go with future updates, it allows for large-scale bug testing without the massive amount of whining that happens after a major release. 1.8 may be the least buggy major release ever because of it. Pre-release 2 is out now, hopefully that's relatively bug free so 1.8 proper can be released tomorrow.
Old September 13 2011, 02:42 PM   #1343
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

Wow. What kind of fuckhole calls a developer in the middle of the night like that? People need to get a grip.
Old September 13 2011, 09:02 PM   #1344
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

I'm not even touching it until it gets an official release. The fact that the pre-release is even getting bug fixes proves to me that it wasn't ready for people to see it. But then again, I guess he wants people to point out bugs on a major release like this. Kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13 2011, 09:06 PM   #1345
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
I'm not even touching it until it gets an official release. The fact that the pre-release is even getting bug fixes proves to me that it wasn't ready for people to see it. But then again, I guess he wants people to point out bugs on a major release like this. Kind of a "damned if you do, damned if you don't" scenario.
I assume the whole point of the "pre-release" was so bugs could be caught before they made it into the general release. Much less bitching that way.
Old September 14 2011, 12:40 AM   #1346
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I don't even go on the official Minecraft forum anymore; all my MC info comes from this thread and my subscription to their Facebook page. I just got fed up with the flame wars. And seriously... calling in the middle of the night over a videogame? It must take someone with little life of their own and too much free time to do that. :/
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 01:19 AM   #1347
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

Well to be fair to MC, nearly every online gaming forum is like that unless its heavily moderated. The Steam forums are a classic example.

We're just lucky to have a safe place like the BBS here.

Last edited by Cutter John; September 14 2011 at 02:20 AM.
Old September 14 2011, 01:24 AM   #1348
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, we have it good here. At one of my old gaming related haunts though, recently the admin banned himself because his members drove him insane. It was the craziest thing I'd seen on a forum anywhere.
Owain Taggart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14 2011, 01:36 PM   #1349
Solstice
Sexy Wizard

That's epic.

1.8 is now out. I doubt I'll get to play it until Sunday, but I thought you guys might want to know. I am not upgrading the server until there's a new Bukkit, of course.
Old September 14 2011, 02:13 PM   #1350
Peak
Fleet Captain

My first new Lets Play (in Swedish) in 1.8 is done and is rendering right now.

Just waiting for Camtasia to be finished so I can upload it to Youtube..

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote