Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old September 9 2011, 08:00 PM   #31
syberghost
Commander

View syberghost's Twitter Profile
Re: Star Trek Online Discussion Thread (now free to play!)

Bird of Prey wrote: View Post
For Gold members, will we be able to pool the 400 points we receive each month, or will the expire at the end of each month. If they don't expire, then I'm planning on picking up a couple of the sets, such as the Enterprise set (NX ship, crew uniforms, mirror universe uniforms, and T'Pol uniform).
They haven't said, but the Champions Online ones don't expire.
Old September 10 2011, 12:59 AM   #32
mic of orion
Commander

O, need advice, how to equip this sucker, best weapons, consoles ... I already have borg set now i need weapons and stuff. let me know what you think i should be getting, cheers.

Benjamin Franklin
Old September 10 2011, 06:11 AM   #33
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

For one you should get the last Borg piece. A universal consol from "Assimilated". It's a regular mission, you can do it soli, just remember to replicate remodulators for your officers.
Old September 10 2011, 11:52 AM   #34
Blamo
Fleet Captain

Lets see.

For starters, dump the bio-function monitor console as it's pretty useless. Since a gameplay update in either season 1 or season 2, crew is only useful for repairing your ship out of combat (in combat you'll hardly notice the very small hull regen). I suggest replacing it with the borg console (gotten via the "Assimilation" mission).

Next, get rid of the transphasics and replace them with quantums or photons. Until Cryptic really buff them, transphasics are rather pathetic in comparison to them.

Stick a field generator Mk XI console in an engineering console slot, which with give you 35% more shield capacity (not these consoles will not stack).

If you're going to mix beam types, I suggest you use "directed energy distribution manifold" instead of "phaser relay" consoles as they effect all beam weapons (but only beam weapons).

The BO powers I'll leave to later, but I think you should promote your engineers. :P
Old September 10 2011, 01:07 PM   #35
syberghost
Commander

To me, the choice between Quantums or Photons comes down to this:

If you're going to use them every time they're off CD, whether shields are down or not, use Photons. If you're going to only use them when shields are down as burst hull damage, Quantums.

As for mixing beam types; don't mix beam types. Phaser Relay consoles have a higher bonus than Directed Energy Manifold consoles, and putting your points into one beam skill is more efficient than putting them into several. Phasers are the MOST efficient use of skill points, but there is something to be said in PvP for not outputting the same kind of damage everybody else is expecting.
Old September 10 2011, 04:30 PM   #36
Trekker1966
Cadet

WELL,WELL, WELL,! This looks like Soong's work absolutley no redeeming creative quality's at all-Ira Graves Schizoid man TNG

Wow ! I'm Fineginaly on a Star Trek bbs so how many stos geeks are there here?
Old September 10 2011, 05:29 PM   #37
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Haven't counted them. We are however running a small board exclusive fleet.
Fleet member numbers are somewhere between 20-30 more or less active members I estimate.
There are several STO fans here who are not in the TrekBBS Armada as well.
Old September 10 2011, 07:07 PM   #38
syberghost
Commander

Yep. I run the STO division for All Out Assault. We are on friendly terms with TrekBBS Armada.

There's also the formerly-official STO IRC channel, a link is in my signature. It (thanks to SubSpace Radio) has a relay to an ingame channel, "stoirc". You're welcome and encouraged to join the channel; that goes for everybody reading this.
Old September 10 2011, 09:18 PM   #39
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

^ Speaking of your link, the exact URL (with the channel ID) leads to a 404 error page. Going just to the top-level domain, of course, works.
Old September 11 2011, 12:04 AM   #40
syberghost
Commander

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
^ Speaking of your link, the exact URL (with the channel ID) leads to a 404 error page. Going just to the top-level domain, of course, works.
Thanks for the heads-up. Looks like one of the other IRCops changed out the old client for a new one, and the page he put in won't support direct links.

I'll work on a replacement. Leaving it in my sig for now.
Old September 11 2011, 08:10 AM   #41
Darth Thanatos
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
I think dStahl has already said we won't see higher prices but some things (ships) might actually become cheaper.
Yeah. Or free, as it has been the case of four c-store only races that will become freely available in-game.

The people that paid money for them are rightfully pissed at the move.
Old September 11 2011, 02:10 PM   #42
syberghost
Commander

Darth Thanatos wrote: View Post
Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
I think dStahl has already said we won't see higher prices but some things (ships) might actually become cheaper.
Yeah. Or free, as it has been the case of four c-store only races that will become freely available in-game.

The people that paid money for them are rightfully pissed at the move.
Please explain what in the act of paying for something gives one the right to dictate its price for eternity. GoG has Blake Stone on sale for $2.99; do the people who paid $30 for it in 1993 have grounds for a class action lawsuit?

Nobody put a gun to those people's head (which includes me, BTW) and said "you will buy this now".

City of Villains used to be a separate purchase from City of Heroes; now it's included, and soon both will be free. Burning Crusade used to cost $50. Now it's available bundled with WoW for less than WoW itself used to cost; essentially, free.

It's an MMO. Prices go down over time. Items get introduced at one price and become cheaper or free later. You choose at the time of launch; do I want it now badly enough to pay this price, or do I wait until it's cheaper or free?

We chose; if we wanted our sparklekitties NOW, we paid the THREE WHOLE DOLLARS for them.

IMHO if anybody complains, Cryptic should give them their three dollars back, and charge a four dollar processing fee.
Old September 11 2011, 03:57 PM   #43
syberghost
Commander

Correction; it has been pointed out to me that Burning Crusade is no longer EFFECTIVELY free; it's just plain old free now with the base game, since a couple of months ago.
Old September 11 2011, 06:37 PM   #44
Admiral James Kirk
Writer

I haven't played STO in awhile. I was just wondering how the new Enterprise-F and her crew has been utilized in the games storyline.
Old September 11 2011, 06:43 PM   #45
syberghost
Commander

Admiral James Kirk wrote: View Post
I haven't played STO in awhile. I was just wondering how the new Enterprise-F and her crew has been utilized in the games storyline.
Hasn't happened yet. They've been "all hands on deck" for the last couple of months on the codebase resync between their four current projects and preparation for the coming F2P.
Closed Thread