The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 10 2011, 08:11 AM   #331
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile
Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Yeah Action Comics takes place before Justice League does...and it's not six months that Clark has debuted but "several months" IIRC. Morrison has stated that at this point Clark hasn't uncovered his Kryptonian heritage yet so he doesn't know where his powers come from or where he is from. Martha and Jonathan are dead but we don't know for how long at this point. He also stated at SDCC that the Legion of Superheroes will be touched on in some way (he wouldn't say how) and that Jor-El and Lara would make an appearance in issue three.

I didn't think Clark was being a dick or arrogant at all. He's just very naive and idealistic as well as direct. He isn't at the point in his career where he thinks about the consequences of his actions. Morrison is very much playing on the word "Action" in this book.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 08:15 AM   #332
Nowhere Man
Commodore

ncc71877 wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
Hilbilly Rage wrote: View Post
There is a hint of some major trouble coming from space. This could be Braniac, Zod or Darksied, I guess from the JL #1 though that it is Darksied.
This is the thing I was complaining about upthread. JL takes place "5 years ago" Action takes place 6 months after Supes appeared. BUT, that doesn't mean they are taking place at the same time. So, what is being hinted at in JL comes after the events that are unfolding in Action. Maybe months after or a year or...? It's unclear.
I think Action takes place '6 months' before JL. I remembering reading, and I can't recall where I read it, that Action's first arc also tells the story of how Superman gets his suit. So, the thing in space has to be Kryptonian, right? I guess Supes has been in action for six years then.

ncc71877
At the end of JL they give character details to the big 5 (so far )and it reads something like," See how Superman gets his new suit in Action Comics bla, bla, bla."
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 02:29 PM   #333
Allyn Gibson
Vice Admiral

View Allyn Gibson's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Allyn Gibson Send a message via Yahoo to Allyn Gibson

Batgirl.

I wasn't wowed by it. For a Batgirl book, it was surprisingly grim with a high body count. (Two people get murdered, and two more people are almost murdered. In the span of twenty pages, no less.) Gail Simone's writing was merely average, and it suffered from the Eric Saward problem (in his Doctor Who scripts, he had a tendency to introduce major characters and then never ever name them -- for instance, I don't think we ever learn the name of Barbara's roomie in Batgirl #1).

In a lot of ways, I think this was the book of the New 52 that had the most to prove -- it had to follow the Bryan Q. Miller run (which I loved), and it had to justify undoing twenty-plus years of the Barbara Gordon status quo. And it doesn't do either. Miller's Batgirl was the "fun" Bat-book, and there's no fun here. (Maybe Barbara meeting her roomie, but that has the Saward problem. Also, it doesn't make much sense if Barbara had a life as Oracle; whatever happened to her base of operations?) And as for the past, it's all glossed over. (There's a one page flashback to The Killing Joke and its important detail insofar as Barbara is concerned; otherwise, it's limited to a line of dialogue that goes, basically, "And then a miracle happened.")

For a book like this, the best thing to do would be to start in the middle of the action (which it does) and establish a tone (which it also does), so in that sense Batgirl #1 works. It when you think about it in the larger context that it falls down.

Based on the first issue, I don't know what this book wants to be. If it's going to be a somewhat grim comic about a redheaded female Bat in Gotham, I don't see why this Batgirl needs to exist -- Batwoman fills the same niche and is bound to be the better written and more artistically interesting book. But I should be fair -- I didn't like Miller's Batgirl off the bat, either; it took until about issue #3 for its tone and premise to establish themselves and for me to really "get" the book.

If you have no connection to the previous Batgirls, if you've only ever known Barbara Gordon as Batgirl (thanks to Adam West reruns or the Batman animated series), this book is probably fine, if a little dark.

allyngibson.net
Allyn Gibson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 03:10 PM   #334
Derishton
Vice Admiral

Allyn Gibson wrote: View Post
Batgirl.

In a lot of ways, I think this was the book of the New 52 that had the most to prove -- it had to follow the Bryan Q. Miller run (which I loved), and it had to justify undoing twenty-plus years of the Barbara Gordon status quo. And it doesn't do either. Miller's Batgirl was the "fun" Bat-book, and there's no fun here.
I'll probably pick up Batgirl after the pricedrop, on the strength of Simone's other work. I think you're right that Batwoman will very likely be better, but I suspect that won't be Simone's fault. |for the reasons you suggest above, Batgirl has too much working against it and no real reason to exist beyond "that's how it was in the Silver Age."

Of all the new 52, only Flash comes close to the status of pure nostalgia without anything else compelling - and even Flash has jettisoned almost eferything that made Barry Allen interesting in the Silver Age (and there was precious little of that to begin with - he had nephew with the same powers and was in a stable relationship).
Old September 10 2011, 03:13 PM   #335
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

I remember them bieng lika $1.50 or something.
What, they're more than that now?
That's obscene. In my day they were 25 cents.
Old September 10 2011, 03:17 PM   #336
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
12 cents, baby.
Old September 10 2011, 03:36 PM   #337
Crypto
Caped Trek Mod

If you want a laugh, page through Hawk & Dove. Liefeld's work is dreadful. Worse than usual, IMO. You'd think that he would put forth his best effort on this, but wow, he really doesn't.
Old September 10 2011, 04:00 PM   #338
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

^^^
Over at the DC boards I was honestly surprised to see a handful of people say that liked the artwork.
My guess is they haven't really seen Liefeld and it's "newness" to them was more oddity than like. Their posts counts indicate they aren't comic newbies nor the way the spoke of comics.

It's the same dreadful artwork he's been doing for 20 yrs.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 04:33 PM   #339
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@Allyn I too was surprised at how dark Batgirl #1 is but Gail Simone this book is going to be different than any other Barbara Gordon as Batgirl. It is going to be exploring mature issues and Babs making critical mistakes. She hasn't been Batgirl in a very long time and is rusty. So we'll be seeing her make mistakes, second guess herself, and genuinely go on a journey of self rediscovery. I thought it was okay. It's not Simone's best writing but we have a long way to go yet.

Previews for "Superboy" and "Legion Lost" both books are more interesting than I originally gave them credit for, especially "Superboy".

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 05:46 PM   #340
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
If you want a laugh, page through Hawk & Dove. Liefeld's work is dreadful. Worse than usual, IMO. You'd think that he would put forth his best effort on this, but wow, he really doesn't.
I couldn't even read it the art work was so bad. And I usually like Sterling Gates work.
Old September 10 2011, 08:56 PM   #341
WalkerBait
Trekker4747

Well, I've bought Action Comics #1 and subscribed to the rest of the AC line to follow what this new Superman is going to become.

Here's hoping for the best.

:worried smile with fingers crossed:

Ah, Liefeld. The man of pointy, tip-toed tiny feet, tapered pointy fingers and pouches. Pouches everywhere!

Last edited by WalkerBait; September 10 2011 at 09:06 PM.
WalkerBait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 09:05 PM   #342
theenglish
Rear Admiral

Nerys Myk wrote: View Post
A beaker full of death wrote: View Post
12 cents, baby.
My first comic was an issue of Iron Fist that was STILL ONLY 15 CENTS!
theenglish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 09:16 PM   #343
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

ncc71877 wrote: View Post
Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
There is a hint of some major trouble coming from space. This could be Braniac, Zod or Darksied, I guess from the JL #1 though that it is Darksied.
This is the thing I was complaining about upthread. JL takes place "5 years ago" Action takes place 6 months after Supes appeared. BUT, that doesn't mean they are taking place at the same time. So, what is being hinted at in JL comes after the events that are unfolding in Action. Maybe months after or a year or...? It's unclear.
I think Action takes place '6 months' before JL. I remembering reading, and I can't recall where I read it, that Action's first arc also tells the story of how Superman gets his suit. So, the thing in space has to be Kryptonian, right? I guess Supes has been in action for six years then.

ncc71877
See that's what annoys me. It's not clear in the book. You have to read "somewhere" at what point these books are taking place.

Would it have been that hard to put a little addition to the location. "Metropolis, 6 years ago."

Or whatever. Rather than having to piece it together from outside interviews and internet boards, put it in the fucking book.
Old September 10 2011, 09:19 PM   #344
Geoff Peterson
Fleet Admiral

I really liked Action Comics #1. Good stuff. As someone said, the Golden Age Superman is back. Especially with Kent working for Mr. Taylor at the Daily Planets rival paper.

Green Arrow #1 was another good one. I like this take on GA, has a n Iron Man feel to it.

JLI #1 was okay. Took a while to get rolling because they had to set it up and introduce several characters.

Stormwatch #1. Not all that familar with the Wildstorm characters but it was a good start. Be interesting to see how it ties in with Cornell's Demon Knights. I like J'onns new look. The head reminds me of Dr Lazarus from Galaxy Quest.

Static Shock #1. Again not a character I'm familar with, but a solid effort.

Hawk and Dove #1. Pretty much unreadable.
Old September 10 2011, 10:05 PM   #345
A beaker full of death
Vice Admiral

Misfit Toy wrote: View Post
If you want a laugh, page through Hawk & Dove. Liefeld's work is dreadful.
Oh dear God, is he still getting work?? Why? How? All those Kubert graduates are spinning in their graves.