Star Trek Movie Prop Auction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

New Trek Home Fashions
By: T'Bonz on Jul 4

Star Trek Pop-Ups Book Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 3

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 8 2011, 04:57 AM   #16
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384
Re: 10 Years of the Novelverse

ryan123450 wrote: View Post
bok2384 wrote: View Post
snip
It's nice to see that A Choice of Catastrophes has continued in this direction.
How so? I haven't read it yet and didn't know it had anything to do with that.
It's not directly tied into those series no, however, Michael Schuster and Steve Mollmann have really given a focus to several lower decks characters such as Salvatore Giotto, as well as managing to include almost every background character seen in TOS including DeSalle, Leslie, Brent, Nurse Thomas. You name them, they're probably in this.

I'd definitely check it out, it's a great read. Judging from the review thread, it's not to everyone's tastes, but I'm enjoying it.
Old September 8 2011, 09:36 AM   #17
Relayer1
Commodore

Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
I do hope the DS9 relaunch is eventually returned-to.
I would think we will probably get a single book - a sort of 'Lost Era' filling in the gap.

Having seen how well Ms Beyer did bringing Voyager up to date, I'd give it to her...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2011, 12:43 PM   #18
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

Didn't a lot of the current crop of really good writers get their start in the Strange New Worlds anthologies, about 10 years ago? I always thought that was a fantastic way to discover new blood; people who are real fans but not necessarily professional writers. Seems to have paid off.

I always wanted to write a story for those but I never got past the "word document with several story ideas" stage. Writing is hard!

It's nice that most of the writers these days are die hard trek fans. It seems like many (not all) of the writers in the 90s were random professional tie-in fiction writers that didn't necessarily know much about Trek. Or established TOS novelists who didn't seem to know anything about the newer shows.
Old September 8 2011, 01:52 PM   #19
Christopher
Writer

DorkBoy [TM] wrote: View Post
Didn't a lot of the current crop of really good writers get their start in the Strange New Worlds anthologies, about 10 years ago?
Not many. The most prominent Trek authors to come out of SNW are Dayton Ward, William Leisner, Geoffrey Thorne, and Ilsa J. Bick. About a dozen other SNW authors went on to do other short Trek fiction, either e-books or anthology stories -- Kathy Oltion (who also co-wrote one novel), Christina F. York, Kevin Killiany, Phaedra M. Weldon, Robert T. Jeschonek, Jeff D. Jacques, Kevin G. Summers, Kevin Lauderdale, Kim Sheard, Louisa M. Swann, Peg Robinson, Mary Scott-Wiecek -- but nothing recent.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 12:49 AM   #20
TheAlmanac
Writer

View TheAlmanac's Twitter Profile

Christopher wrote: View Post
DorkBoy [TM] wrote: View Post
Didn't a lot of the current crop of really good writers get their start in the Strange New Worlds anthologies, about 10 years ago?
Not many.

About a dozen other SNW authors went on to do other short Trek fiction, either e-books or anthology stories ... but nothing recent.
Well, now, I'm just depressed.

The History of Things That Never Were
TheAlmanac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 03:24 AM   #21
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Jeff O'Connor wrote: View Post
I do hope the DS9 relaunch is eventually returned-to.
I would think we will probably get a single book - a sort of 'Lost Era' filling in the gap.

Having seen how well Ms Beyer did bringing Voyager up to date, I'd give it to her...
You know, the jump in the Voyager storyline was three years and it was filled with a single book. But the way that Kirsten did it was totally believable and made you feel like you hadn't been robbed of the stories of those three years and that no one missed anything. The years that were skipped over were essentially boring, sparse story time. If something similar could be done with Deep Space Nine, I'd be very happy. Otherwise I'll always feel like we were robbed of 5 years story time.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 06:20 AM   #22
JD
Admiral

^The only problem with that is that RBoE made it clear that there were quite a few major events in the years between the Typhon Pact and The Soul Key. Although, I honestly wouldn't be that upset if the gaps were simply filled in through dialogue and exposition in later books.
Harry Dresden - Blood Rites (The Dresden Files #6)
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 05:55 AM   #23
RoJoHen
Awesome

Is it bad that about 10 years ago was when I stopped reading TrekLit?
Old September 10 2011, 07:10 AM   #24
captcalhoun
Admiral

yes.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 10:10 AM   #25
Relayer1
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post

Yes - it's got rather good !

It also depends on whether you want new proper Trek in your life or not...
Relayer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 12:37 PM   #26
bfollowell
Commander

Nope, because it's never too late to start again. I stopped reading back about twelve or thirteen years ago and just started again after my wife gave me my Kindle this past Christmas.

Since then I've completed the DS9 relaunch and have a good start on the Voyager/TNG relaunch. I'm up through about the sixth book of the A Time To... series and have really enjoyed everything I've read so far. I'm salivating for Destiny and am hoping to make it through, or at least to, that series by year's end.

Back before I'd stopped reading, back in the last millennium, I'd gotten burned out on a lot of the crisis of the week, single episode, stand-alone novels. Even thirteen years ago, Id pretty much given up except for the special hard-covers and any specials or series. Even at that point Id pretty much stopped reading the stand-alones. Im sure I missed some gems during that time but it just seemed like they (S&S) were just shoveling the novels out at the time and I just couldnt keep up and I wondered about the quality of this "shovelware".

Anyway, most everything published as part of the relaunches have been great reads and I fell in love with Vanguard, Mirror Universe and Myriad Universes. Im looking forward to starting the first Titan novel in a month or two.

So, all of this was to say, I know from experience that, regardless of your reasons for stopping reading TrekLit, you can start reading again at any time and, yes, you can fall in love all over again.

Enjoy.

-Byron
bfollowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 03:12 PM   #27
DorkBoy [TM]
Captain

bfollowell wrote: View Post
Nope, because it's never too late to start again. I stopped reading back about twelve or thirteen years ago and just started again after my wife gave me my Kindle this past Christmas.

Since then I've completed the DS9 relaunch and have a good start on the Voyager/TNG relaunch. I'm up through about the sixth book of the A Time To... series and have really enjoyed everything I've read so far. I'm salivating for Destiny and am hoping to make it through, or at least to, that series by year's end.

Back before I'd stopped reading, back in the last millennium, I'd gotten burned out on a lot of the crisis of the week, single episode, stand-alone novels. Even thirteen years ago, Id pretty much given up except for the special hard-covers and any specials or series. Even at that point Id pretty much stopped reading the stand-alones. Im sure I missed some gems during that time but it just seemed like they (S&S) were just shoveling the novels out at the time and I just couldnt keep up and I wondered about the quality of this "shovelware".

Anyway, most everything published as part of the relaunches have been great reads and I fell in love with Vanguard, Mirror Universe and Myriad Universes. Im looking forward to starting the first Titan novel in a month or two.

So, all of this was to say, I know from experience that, regardless of your reasons for stopping reading TrekLit, you can start reading again at any time and, yes, you can fall in love all over again.

Enjoy.

-Byron
I hear you.

I stopped reading during the 90s too - for exactly the reasons you described. And I've been a reader off and on since the early 80s.

10 years ago is when I started reading again. That's when things got good.

There've been good years and bad years since, but mostly good. (Bad years aren't really bad, just a lot of series I don't read as much.)

For a long while they were doing 2 books a month. Talk about shovelware! And its impossible to keep up.

There was a period (about 5 years ago?) where I was really into Star Wars books and fell a few years behind on Trek, during the NJO series. But I got sick of Star Wars (too much negativity and dark side crap, Betrayal is where I gave up).

But I've since caught up. I've even caught up on most of what I skipped back in the 90s!

Lots of great books out there. And since there's no televised Trek anymore, the books are all we have to get our "fix."

Happy reading!
Old September 10 2011, 04:56 PM   #28
RoJoHen
Awesome

I used to read Trek books all the time. My parents actually just brought me all of my books from their house, and there were about 4 giant Rubbermaid bins full of them! The only Trek books that I've been keeping up with have been the New Frontier novels, and even then, I'm still behind. I bought "Treason" when it first came out, and I still haven't read it.

When they were originally released, I tried to read the DS9 relaunch, but I had a really hard time. I think I read the first 4 novels (Avatar 1 & 2, Section 31, and Gateways), but I just didn't care about anything that was going on. The new characters like Elias Vaughn, who everybody seems to love, just didn't do anything for me, so I stopped reading.

I had heard bad things about the VOY relaunch, so I never even bothered with those.

I had heard mediocre things about the "A Time To..." series, and I was so disheartened after watching "Nemesis," that I pretty much decided not to bother with the TNG relaunch either.

I dunno...my favorite Trek novels have always been some of the bigger standalone stories featuring the TOS crew, like "Sarek" and "Federation." I guess I just don't have a lot of interest in the "expanded universe" of Star Trek, and since that's about all there is anymore, I find myself not wanting to read TrekLit.
Old September 10 2011, 05:56 PM   #29
DonIago
Rear Admiral

View DonIago's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to DonIago Send a message via AIM to DonIago Send a message via Yahoo to DonIago

If nothing else, I'd recommend the last three books of A Time to... If that doesn't pique your interest in other aspects of the relaunch, I can't imagine that anything will, and they aren't -highly- "expanded universe", nor do you need to have read the earlier books in the series to appreciate them.
DonIago is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 07:15 PM   #30
RoJoHen
Awesome

With the free time I have available, it would take me 5 years to read those three books!