TV Alert: Pine On Tonight Show
By: T'Bonz on Dec 22

Retro Review: The Emperor’s New Cloak
By: Michelle on Dec 20

Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 9 2011, 09:37 PM   #316
O'Dib
Commodore

Re: DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

In regards to the arc-nature of most comics, I find that Invincible mostly does stand-alone issues (most crises arise and resolve in a single issue).
Old September 9 2011, 09:46 PM   #317
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post

Also, if Ted Kord's gonna stay dead, then fuck Ollie Queen.
This.
Old September 9 2011, 09:53 PM   #318
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

View Admiral_Young's Twitter Profile

@ C.Miller I guess you've not been reading the Ultimate line recently because things are back to being awesome again. They've basically are calling things Ultimate Rebirth as every book is getting a fresh injection. You've got a brand new Spider-Man, Jonathan Hickman writing both Ultimate Comics Ultimates, and Ultimate Hawkeye. Nick Spencer on a new Ultimate X-Men ongoing...it's been pretty awesome.

Batman and Robin #1 Preview...

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=9747

Despite Peter Tomsai writing I'm pumped for this. The father and son dynamic should be very interesting, especially since they've barely spent any time together.

Ignoring the The Last Stand since 2011.

Last edited by Admiral_Young; September 9 2011 at 10:10 PM.
Admiral_Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 11:22 PM   #319
C_Miller
Captain

I have not. I just know it was a mess prior to Ultimatum. It's good to know that the Ultimate line is thriving again. As you can see from my signature *shameless plug* I've always liked what it stood for at Marvel and I really wish DC would do one of its own. I guess this reboot could be considered such, but I don't think it's streamlined enough. That would have been nice.
Tons of Titles still available!
C_Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 02:55 AM   #320
Stevil2001
Rear Admiral

Admiral_Young wrote: View Post

Despite Peter Tomsai writing I'm pumped for this. The father and son dynamic should be very interesting, especially since they've barely spent any time together.
Young Bruce Wayne always looks like a smug bastard. I can see where Damian gets it from.
Old September 10 2011, 04:22 AM   #321
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Steve Mollmann wrote: View Post

Young Bruce Wayne always looks like a smug bastard. I can see where Damian gets it from.
Young, old, it's all smug, all bastard, all the time.

Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 04:33 AM   #322
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Not all the time. Damian has had some nice moments outside the Bat-Books. The crossover with Kara was awesome and implied he had a crush on her...oh wait that Kara is gone now...but yeah he's a smug and arrogant bastard 90 percent of the time. He's grown a lot from the sheer and utter prat he was when we were first introduced to him.

Old September 10 2011, 05:13 AM   #323
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

^ Not all the time. Damian has had some nice moments outside the Bat-Books. The crossover with Kara was awesome and implied he had a crush on her...oh wait that Kara is gone now...but yeah he's a smug and arrogant bastard 90 percent of the time. He's grown a lot from the sheer and utter prat he was when we were first introduced to him.
Hell, I like Damian. I meant Bruce.

Old September 10 2011, 05:54 AM   #324
Admiral_Young
Fleet Admiral

^ Oh LOL.

Old September 10 2011, 06:21 AM   #325
Ganja Tea
Rear Admiral

God I haven't read comics since the early ninties. My kempo class was right next to a comic store and our sensi would give out a comic each week to the kid who had worked the hardest and I really got into them. They were all marvel comics and I read them for a while but it became way to hard to follow plus I was a kid and thus didn't have money to buy very many on my own and I didn't even bother with DC. I decided to go ahead and give DC a chance though with this new reboot and so far I'm enjoying the he'll out of it. I love the digital comics and the way it guides you panel to panel, that's pretty cool and of the ones I've read I've been pretty impressed so far and I'm looking forward to the next issues. I picked up Action, Detective, Batgirl and JL mainly because I'm familiar with the Batman and Supes methos so it isn't hard to follow. I was thinking about getting JLI but Batman is pretty much the only character I know from there so I'm still thinking it over. I know next to nothing about Green Lantern and Green Arrow but maybe I'll give them a whirl. Definitely going to pick up the rest of the Supes and Batbooks though except for the one about African Batman. All in all I think DC did a good job and I hope they keep it accessible for a little while before the crossovers and big world changing event stuff.
And I get just as HIGH as I want to be
Ganja Tea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 07:47 AM   #326
Nowhere Man
Commodore

So I have the New Action Comics, Detective Comics, Justice league and Green Arrow just for the hell of it. I love DC and have since I was a little kid watching Superfriends. Superman is my favorite and I used to read comics when I was younger. I remember them bieng lika $1.50 or something. Anyway, I followed Superman for about a year after the death and rebirth, but it became increasingly harder and harder to find comics.

Over the past decade I would pick one up every so often, but the story lines became so hard to follow that I just gave up. In the past few years i've been wanting to get back into comic books, but like I said, the story arcs are just too much.

All of that bieng said, i've tried to keep up with what has been going on. I have a vague idea of the past few years. I figured with this reboot it would be a great oppreotunity for me to personally start over as well. I intend on keeping up with Superman and Batman. I may ocassionally read GL, GA, Auquaman, Flash and WW.(the core characters), but Batman and Supeerman are my main concern. I also intend to keep up with Justice Leauge. How long I will keep up is completely up in the air right now, but for now i'm on board.

I have only read JL and Action Comics #1 so far. For JL. pretty much everything has been said. I thought it was funny and suspensefull and pretty good. I loved the banter and the reveal of Supes.

Action Comics #1: So it starts with Superman bieng
on the scene for 6 months, so no origin story as far as Clark's ship landing in Smallville or anythin, but who really needs that, right? Superman is kind of a dick and arrogant, he's still got his "Boy Scout" quality, but is not so humble as i'd like him to be. He pulls a few Batman tactics in dealing with the bad guy. This is a younger version of Clark, we see his apartment and is not at the Planet yet. This gives him a Peter Parker feel to it. Luthor and General Lane are in this one and it's cool how they are working together, but you can tell that Luthor is out for blood. There is a hint of some major trouble coming from space. This could be Braniac, Zod or Darksied, I guess from the JL #1 though that it is Darksied. I'd prefer Braniac, but I guess we will have to wait.( I was hoping Braniac would be in the new movie as well) The suit, I actually like it. Obviously the suit will change, I like the new suit, but the belt needs some gold in it and the shield on the belt is not needed. Over all, I liked it and i'm looking foward to #2. A/A-

I can't say I will give a review of every issue, but I will definately try to discuss. I will come back after I read Detective Comics #1.

I also want to say that I think it's cool to be able say I own Action Comics #1, though I wish it was the 3 million dollar one.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 07:53 AM   #327
Professor Zoom
Vice Admiral

Hilbilly Rage wrote: View Post
There is a hint of some major trouble coming from space. This could be Braniac, Zod or Darksied, I guess from the JL #1 though that it is Darksied.
This is the thing I was complaining about upthread. JL takes place "5 years ago" Action takes place 6 months after Supes appeared. BUT, that doesn't mean they are taking place at the same time. So, what is being hinted at in JL comes after the events that are unfolding in Action. Maybe months after or a year or...? It's unclear.
Old September 10 2011, 08:05 AM   #328
Nowhere Man
Commodore

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
There is a hint of some major trouble coming from space. This could be Braniac, Zod or Darksied, I guess from the JL #1 though that it is Darksied.
This is the thing I was complaining about upthread. JL takes place "5 years ago" Action takes place 6 months after Supes appeared. BUT, that doesn't mean they are taking place at the same time. So, what is being hinted at in JL comes after the events that are unfolding in Action. Maybe months after or a year or...? It's unclear.
Yeah, right, I forgot about that, so it could be Braniac or really anyone.
Nowhere Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 08:09 AM   #329
ncc71877
Fleet Captain

Professor Zoom wrote: View Post
I think Action takes place '6 months' before JL. I remembering reading, and I can't recall where I read it, that Action's first arc also tells the story of how Superman gets his suit. So, the thing in space has to be Kryptonian, right? I guess Supes has been in action for six years then.

ncc71877
ncc71877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 08:09 AM   #330
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

I just realized there's kind of a plot hole in animal man. So, Buddy won't get his daughter Maxine a dog, right? Because he claims that being around one animal for any extended period messes him up, because he imprints on that animal power or whatever. Okay, we can leave out humans for whatever dumb reason (could Buddy manipulate the morphogenetic field to grab the "power" of a human smarter than him?).

But the plot hole is that we, and our homes, are covered in animals. Millions of them. Why don't spiders, cockroaches, flies, and dust mites mess him up?

I don't think he's lying. Maybe Lemire just didn't consider it, or considered it and decided his story was more important, as the cliffhanger relies on Buddy's refusal to get a dog... I know that sounds lame, but it's the awesomest last page out of all 14 of the books. If so, I couldn't fault him for it.

Also, I know it's never been how Animal Man's been visually depicted, but since they're rebooting it anyway it might've been nice to see him actually assume the trappings of the animals he's emulating. Like, I get that the power of an eagle lets him fly, but when an eagle does it, its wings hold it up. Buddy Baker just takes off like Superman. What's holding him? It's always been visually off-putting.