Cumberbatch As Turing
By: T'Bonz on Jul 21

Retro Review: In the Pale Moonlight
By: Michelle on Jul 19

Trek Beach Towel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 18

Two New Starships Collection Releases
By: T'Bonz on Jul 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Welcome to the Trek BBS! > General Trek Discussion

General Trek Discussion Trek TV and cinema subjects not related to any specific series or movie.

Old September 9 2011, 03:54 PM   #31
malchya
Lieutenant Commander

Re: The absolute worst captain in Star Trek

Oh, and my vote for worst captain? Janeway.
malchya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 10:53 PM   #32
Gary7
Rear Admiral

On second thought... considering the importance of the ship, the Enterprise, you'd think Harriman would be on board something like the Stargazer. I appreciate his being new to the captaincy, but in the right context. Yeah, he should have been written differently. The actor has shown he could handle it in other work. It all came down to the script and the directing... maybe trying too hard to make Kirk look good.
Old September 10 2011, 01:04 AM   #33
The Wormhole
Admiral

The thing about Harriman is, the character had to appear incompetant so that Kirk could be awesome and swoop in to save the day.

Fortunately novels and comics which have featured him do a better job at depicting him as a competant officer and capable captain while providing logical reasons for his actions in Generations.

Last edited by The Wormhole; September 10 2011 at 09:33 PM.
The Wormhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 02:36 AM   #34
Anwar
Vice Admiral

Yeah, it's basically what Nimoy did in TSFS: He deliberately made the Excelsior Captain and the Grissom Captain either smug or indecisive just to make it clear how awesome the Enterprise crew are.
Anwar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 02:54 AM   #35
plynch
Commodore

View plynch's Twitter Profile

Anwar wrote: View Post
Yeah, it's basically what Nimoy did in TSFS: He deliberately made the Excelsior Captain and the Grissom Captain either smug or indecisive just to make it clear how awesome the Enterprise crew are.
That's too bad. I like my stuff just a bit less hokey. What if in GEN, a competent officer was still overtaxed and Kirk has to step in to assist? He's still needed, and maybe moreso, since he's not replacing someone clearly a putz, but someone who's competent, but even so, still needs some Kirk?

When I become a scriptwriter I'll do it right.
Old September 10 2011, 03:58 AM   #36
antiquityscion
Commander

I don't know if he was a bad captain (unless you ask Riker ), but if there is a "which captain was the biggest a-hole," it would have to go to Captain Jellico from Chain of Command.
antiquityscion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 04:00 AM   #37
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

ST09 introduced us to strong, calm and competent captains. I think that's one thing TOS purists cannot deny as a good thing.

antiquityscion wrote: View Post
I don't know if he was a bad captain (unless you ask Riker ), but if there is a "which captain was the biggest a-hole," it would have to go to Captain Jellico from Chain of Command.
I thought Jellico was a refreshing departure. He was obviously competent and well respected, but his command style which was functionality over friendship and his desire for greater efficiency made him out to be a complete asshole to the Ent-D crew.
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 04:47 AM   #38
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Admiral M wrote: View Post
I'm going to have to say that Ronald Tracey was a terrible captain. Apart from violating the prime directive and abandoning his crew in order to save his own life, he then went on to fight a war and supplied his side with phasers.
...and lost.

antiquityscion wrote: View Post
I think the "biggest a-hole" award goes to Riker. His first act as captain was to appoint Shelby as his first officer and announce to her and the rest of the senior staff that he was doing so "reluctantly" and because he felt "forced" by the Borg situation.
Captrek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 06:15 AM   #39
Bry_Sinclair
Commodore

Jonathan Archer.

He had no experience, no commanding presence, fraked up almost every first contact he ever made. How ever species didn't end up building death rays and gunning for Earth is a mystery to me.
Old September 10 2011, 06:19 AM   #40
Captrek
Rear Admiral

Bry_Sinclair wrote: View Post
He had no experience
Nobody had any experience. That was kinda the point.

He sucked, in the same sense that George Mikan sucked compared to today's NBA players. Have more respect for the pioneers.
Old September 10 2011, 06:24 AM   #41
HarryM
Fleet Captain

Ronald Tracey, a murderer, hard to stoop lower.
HarryM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 06:28 AM   #42
Captrek
Rear Admiral

HarryM wrote: View Post
Ronald Tracey, a murderer, hard to stoop lower.
Arguably Picard in Insurrection, but I don't want to drag that argument into this thread.
Old September 10 2011, 09:58 AM   #43
C.E. Evans
Vice Admiral

The Wormhole wrote: View Post
The thing about Harriman is, the character had to appear incompetant so that Kikr could be awesome and swoop in to save the day.

Fortunately novels and comics which have featured him do a better job at depicting him as a competant officer and capable captain while providing logical reasons for his actions in Generations.
Yeah, the novels and comics really did a good job in redeeming Harriman, establishing that his first outing as Enterprise captain was truly a disaster, but that he learned from his mistakes and later proved himself more than worthy for the position.
Old September 10 2011, 11:39 AM   #44
Mage
Commodore

When working on Trek XI, the writers realised how often captains other then Kirk were depicted as very incompitant people, and wanted to change that with Robeau (spelling?). They felt that being promoted to a captain of a starship was something reserved for people who had proven to be up to it, to be compitent, capable leaders. And I'm glad they did, because I still can't understand a Starfleet that would put someone like Stiles in command of an experimentel starship.

As for Harriman, I dare anyone that hates him to read Serpents Among The Ruines and still say he's a bad captain.
Old September 10 2011, 01:11 PM   #45
Admiral Shran
Admiral

I'll throw my hat in the Janeway camp.