Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Rumor Mill: Saldana Gives Birth
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

New Line of Anovos Enterprise Uniforms
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Frakes: Sign Me Up!
By: T'Bonz on Dec 11

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old September 9 2011, 03:23 PM   #1
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Europa Report (2013) Grading and Discussion

script stage in pre-production
Scripted by Philip Gelatt, Europa is the story of a six-person team of astronauts from various international space stations who are sent by a private sector corporation to be the first manned mission to Jupiter’s fourth moon. Eugenio Caballero (Pan’s Labryrinth, is production designer, and the plan is to begin shooting in New York this fall.
in pre-production on Europa, a contemporary space adventure that will be directed by Sebastian Cordero, the Ecuadorian helmer whose credits include Rage and Cronicas. District 9‘s Sharlto Copley is set to star with The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo’s Michael Nyquist, Anamaria Marinca (she starred in the Palme d’Or winning 4 Months, 3 Weeks and 2 Days), and Asian superstar Daniel Wu.
Deadline source

How cool is that? A film about astronauts on a mission to a planet's moon in our solar system!? We haven't seen anything like this at all since Moon (2009) or those 2000 films Mission to Mars & Red Planet.
An actual space bound & planet-landing movie! Woo hoo!
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 04:16 PM   #2
Asbo Zaprudder
Rear Admiral

Re: "Europa" a [contemporary space adventure] in dev.

[Pedantic nitpick] Since when was Europa Jupiter's fourth satellite? I hope they did a little more research than that. It was the second Jovian satellite discovered by Galileo and is the sixth known in increasing order of average distance from Jupiter. [/Pedantic nitpick]

ETA: So, any speculations about how the movie will be distinguishable from 2010: The Year We Make Contact?
Asbo Zaprudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 04:38 PM   #3
LitmusDragon
Commodore

This is intriguing. It doesn't really tells us what happens on Europa though does it? Could be aliens, could be metaphysical mumbo-jumbo ala 2001, could be a horror film like Apollo 18, or it could be a realistic depiction of a scientific expedition (wait, this is Hollywood, no chance of that). Anyway, excited but the execution is going to be an important factor. What are they trying to do with the story?
Old September 9 2011, 05:16 PM   #4
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
any speculations about how the movie will be distinguishable from 2010: The Year We Make Contact?
To be honest it would have more to do with Clarke's 3rd book in the 2001 series: 2061: Odyssey Three (published 1987) in which

in the film 2010: The Year We Make Contact no astronauts actually land on the moon.

I'm sure it will be a solid surfaced moon for the "Europa" film in development.
Old September 9 2011, 05:35 PM   #5
Myasishchev
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I mean, Europa is admittedly pretty small, but there's room for more than just Arthur Clarke on it.

I liked Mission to Mars (the scene with Robbins and Nielsen set to Van Halen's "Dance" = one of the greatest moments in cinema history). But everyone else seemed to hate it. I think I have an idiosyncratic taste in films.

ETA: seriously, that first tracking shot! Brian de Palma rules you.

Last edited by Myasishchev; September 9 2011 at 05:55 PM.
Myasishchev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 06:10 PM   #6
stonester1
Rear Admiral

Myasishchev wrote: View Post
Yeah, I mean, Europa is admittedly pretty small, but there's room for more than just Arthur Clarke on it.

I liked Mission to Mars (the scene with Robbins and Nielsen set to Van Halen's "Dance" = one of the greatest moments in cinema history). But everyone else seemed to hate it. I think I have an idiosyncratic taste in films.

Dismissed MtM first time I saw it. Got a cheap copy on DVD, watched again, totally changed my opinion. LOVE it and put it in my pantheon of "realistic" space travel movies. And yeah, that dance scene owned me.
Old September 9 2011, 07:27 PM   #7
Reverend
Rear Admiral

LitmusDragon wrote: View Post
This is intriguing. It doesn't really tells us what happens on Europa though does it? Could be aliens, could be metaphysical mumbo-jumbo ala 2001, could be a horror film like Apollo 18, or it could be a realistic depiction of a scientific expedition (wait, this is Hollywood, no chance of that). Anyway, excited but the execution is going to be an important factor. What are they trying to do with the story?
My money is on either a giant ice squid, mind controlling bacteria or some mysterious artefact.
Reverend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9 2011, 09:43 PM   #8
watermelony2k
Vice Admiral

It's starring the fooker from District 9? I'm in.
watermelony2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 12:01 AM   #9
sojourner
Admiral

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Asbo Zaprudder wrote: View Post
any speculations about how the movie will be distinguishable from 2010: The Year We Make Contact?
To be honest it would have more to do with Clarke's 3rd book in the 2001 series: 2061: Odyssey Three (published 1987) in which

in the film 2010: The Year We Make Contact no astronauts actually land on the moon.

I'm sure it will be a solid surfaced moon for the "Europa" film in development.
In the book 2010, the Chinese landed on Europa, to their misfortune.
Old September 10 2011, 12:17 AM   #10
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Woo hoo! An actual Science Fiction film?

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Old September 10 2011, 01:24 PM   #11
ElimParra
Fleet Admiral

Looking forward to when ever it screens here.
ElimParra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 02:27 PM   #12
Kegg
Rear Admiral

Quite. Europa's the one place most speculated or suggested to possibly have some sort of life (like, bacterial, but life hooray!) and as such has a kind of magnetic appeal for sci-fi. To the extent there's still somewhere in the solar system we can project our fatanasies, the rest of it having been scoured and found quite dead, Europa is as somewhat plausible as it gets.

one of the greatest moments in cinema history). But everyone else seemed to hate it. I think I have an idiosyncratic taste in films.
...idiosyncratic is right.
Old September 10 2011, 02:57 PM   #13
FluffyUnbound
Rear Admiral

I'll watch it. As long as it's not space horror. Space horror is played out.

I like that Copley is in it.

could be metaphysical mumbo-jumbo ala 2001
I don't consider 2001 to be metaphysical mumbo-jumbo. It's all sci-fi in the end sequence; Kubrick just doesn't explain any of it. But Clarke did in the book.

Zombies and Ancient Rome...two great tastes that taste great together.
FluffyUnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10 2011, 02:59 PM   #14
FluffyUnbound
Rear Admiral

I vastly prefer Red Planet.

OK, the terraforming plot twist is a little absurd, but it's nice that the big twist was a "science" twist. And the whole plot revolves around an engineering queston ("How many guys can we fit on our improvised rocket?"). I think it's underappreciated.

Edited to say: If only they had not included the "Oh no our robot is crazy" silly subplot. And also to correct title.

Zombies and Ancient Rome...two great tastes that taste great together.
FluffyUnbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14 2012, 03:52 AM   #15
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Now that we have our first look at Sharlto Copley from his newest film The Europa Report (thanks to ComingSoon), we also have what appears to be the first viral site for said film.
‘The Europa Report’ Viral is Launched Along With A Photo
Feb 11th, 2012

And 2 images!
http://www.movieviral.com/2012/02/11...-with-a-photo/

via
First Look at Sharlto Copley in Sci-Fi Film The Europa Report
http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=86922

How cool are those images!