Trek 3 To Being Shooting Next Year
By: T'Bonz on Sep 19

Trek Messenger Bag
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

Star Trek Live In Concert In Australia
By: T'Bonz on Sep 18

IDW Publishing December Trek Comics
By: T'Bonz on Sep 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old September 7 2011, 02:50 PM   #31
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

I suspect the lack of Okuda is because this is a small batch of episodes meant to test the waters of market interest in TNG-R. He'll probably be involved in the full TNG-R project.
Old September 7 2011, 03:00 PM   #32
RAMA
Vice Admiral

WOW, a great article/interview with Daryl Baskin, STNG editor!!

http://postfifthpictures.com/2010/02...ek-tng-editor/

5. Is it possible to re master the series in HD?
All the film was vaulted. Including the dailies, with :10 second handles on them. I think Paramount is working on getting all the shows no HD.
More info...from STNG's 4th season onward:

Home for ST:TNG in the fourth season became The Post Group's new Digital Center in Edit Bay B. ST:TNG moved so it could work entirely in the digital format (D1) and abandon the fickle one-inch analog tape format. The reason ST:TNG was analog for three seasons is simple, the technology just did not exit. To bring this point home further, even now some of the equipment in the bay is still considered R & D (Research and Development) and came with no manuals.

The total list of the equipment in the bay is astounding; Abekas A84 (there are only three in the U.S. and the first and third one built are at The Post Group), Abekas a64, two Abekas A60's, two Sony D1 Digital Recorders, CMX 3600 Edit System, DFX Paint FX, ADO 2000 With Digital Interface, ESS-5 Still Store, Quantel Mirage (digital version) and Touchscreen Digital Routing System (The Post Groups' own system). This, of course, does not include the software that is necessary to make all this work. And, it takes all of that hardware and software to bring together all the various elements for ONE effects shot.

reocities.com/Hollywood/Set/1116/sfxartcl.html
Despite what we think today, The Post Group was state of the art. From the AVS forum.
Old September 7 2011, 03:11 PM   #33
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Joker wrote: View Post
RAMA wrote: View Post
I'm satisfied that the Bluray of STNG is finally upon us...
I guess that makes it official.
Damn straight
Old September 7 2011, 03:14 PM   #34
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

RAMA wrote: View Post
WOW, a great article/interview with Daryl Baskin, STNG editor!!

http://postfifthpictures.com/2010/02...ek-tng-editor/

5. Is it possible to re master the series in HD?
All the film was vaulted. Including the dailies, with :10 second handles on them. I think Paramount is working on getting all the shows no HD.
I'm wondering if that should read "I think Paramount is working on getting all the shows to HD".

I have to say this is the most exited I have been about a Star Trek project in a long time. I can't wait to see the first HD episode!
Old September 7 2011, 03:33 PM   #35
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

Thanks RAMA for that great link and quotes.
For the non-industry folks :
Dailies with 10 frame handles really helps with TNG-R because most likely that means only the 'circled takes' 35mm negatives were saved. A negative cutter cut the negative with these selects. This would lead me to believe notes were kept for take#s used and eye matching cuts gets it down to frame accurate.
So not ALL of the camera negative was just stuck in a vault.
Old September 7 2011, 03:40 PM   #36
JarodRussell
Vice Admiral

Daryl Baskin wrote:
I believe that all the FX were done on film in the beginning.
Here's to hope!
Old September 7 2011, 03:47 PM   #37
RAMA
Vice Admiral

I remember being rankled by my sister's objection the the graphics representation of Gomtu was cartoony...well it's not cartoony, but decidely low rez, and could use an update.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I love the design though..

This shot again...

http://tng.trekcore.com/gallery/albu.../tinman023.jpg
Old September 7 2011, 04:35 PM   #38
FrontierTrek
Fleet Captain

View FrontierTrek's Twitter Profile

Thanks for making this thread, Rama!

I've just finished a brief editorial on the TNG Remastering project over at TrekCore if folks want to take a look: http://tng.trekcore.com/bluray/

It's interesting looking back at the DVD screencaps for the four episodes announced to be on the sampler and seeing the different challenges the remastering team will face.
Old September 7 2011, 04:46 PM   #39
MacLeod
Admiral

It might be interesting if they did have all the dallies to add back in deleted scenes and have an extended cut of the episode on Blu-ray. That isn't to say don't but the original aired version on but on.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old September 7 2011, 05:14 PM   #40
bullethead
Fleet Captain

MacLeod wrote: View Post
It might be interesting if they did have all the dallies to add back in deleted scenes and have an extended cut of the episode on Blu-ray. That isn't to say don't but the original aired version on but on.
That would be interesting, but too likely to draw fan ire from certain parts of the fandom. They're better off focusing on improving the episodes as they are.
Old September 7 2011, 05:18 PM   #41
MacLeod
Admiral

Don't see much of a difference myself, from an extend cut of a TV episode to an extended cut of a film. So long as both are availbale what's the problem.
On the continent of wild endeavour in the mountains of solace and solitude there stood the citadel of the time lords, the oldest and most mighty race in the universe looking down on the galaxies below sworn never to interfere only to watch.
Old September 7 2011, 05:20 PM   #42
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I think it would be a nice bonus if they included some remastered deleted scenes, but I think I'd prefer to see the episodes as they aired.

One nitpick I have is how Encounter At Farpoint is broken up into Part 1 and Part 2. When TNG premiered it was as a two hour episode. I would really like to see the show presented as one long episode rather than as a two-parter. How is it presented on the DVDs?
Old September 7 2011, 05:21 PM   #43
bullethead
Fleet Captain

TheSeeker wrote: View Post
I think it would be a nice bonus if they included some remastered deleted scenes, but I think I'd prefer to see the episodes as they aired.

One nitpick I have is how Encounter At Farpoint is broken up into Part 1 and Part 2. When TNG premiered it was as a two hour episode. I would really like to see the show presented as one long episode rather than as a two-parter. How is it presented on the DVDs?
I don't know, but I figure it would be the two hour episode version on the remastered version.
Old September 7 2011, 05:29 PM   #44
Jefferies
Captain

bullethead wrote: View Post
TheSeeker wrote: View Post

I don't know, but I figure it would be the two hour episode version on the remastered version.
As far as I recall all home video releases of the pilots and double length episodes were in their original 1 episode presentation. The only exception are episodes that were shown in two parts on their first broadcast. Therefore, I'm confident the blu ray releases will follow the same format.
Old September 7 2011, 10:25 PM   #45
Corran Horn
Vice Admiral

I'll definitely be buying the initial disk. That quality will inform my decision to buy other seasons. Currently I own 3-6 on DVD.