Star Trek #35 Preview
By: T'Bonz on Jul 8

New ThinkGeek Trek Apparel
By: T'Bonz on Jul 7

Star Trek Movie Prop Auction

Drexler: NX Engineering Room Construction

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Closed Thread

Old May 18 2011, 02:06 AM   #16
Guartho
Rear Admiral

Re: special features wishlist for TNG-R Blu-ray

BillJ wrote: View Post
The "Next time on..." trailers.
Starrrrrrrr Trek thenextgeneration.

(AKA "Mr. Donkey Kong King" for no apparent reason)
Old May 20 2011, 01:48 AM   #17
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth

GNDN wrote: View Post
Most deleted scenes are cut for a reason, don't know that I'd want them re-edited just because. I think a selection of deleted scenes would be fine for the most part, but interesting to know of scenes only cut for time.

How about a PLAY ALL BUTTON?!?! especially for 2-parters? And a chapter stop between the "previously on" re-cap and the rest of the teaser?
Well, given that the episodes are going to have to be re-cut from stock, anyway, I imagine we're going to get some of that, regardless, seeing as they're essentially going to be re-edited from scratch, the good part being that they don't have to worry about cutting for time, just pacing and appropriateness, so some eps might get tightened up a little and others may get a bit of breathing room.

One question I had about that, does this mean they'll have to re-do all the music, too, since they don't have the timing cues or anything to work with? Not that this would be a terrible thing if it came to pass, assuming they could get Ron Jones to step away from Family Guy long enough to come score it.
Old May 20 2011, 02:44 PM   #18
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

editing & music

Bonzo the Fifth wrote: View Post
Well, given that the episodes are going to have to be re-cut from stock, anyway, I imagine we're going to get some of that, regardless, seeing as they're essentially going to be re-edited from scratch, the good part being that they don't have to worry about cutting for time, just pacing and appropriateness,
Bonzo the Fifth a remastering is recreating what was already there but to the highest quality, not a reimagining. CBS will be doing this as cheaply as possible as the recreated CGI visual effects will cost a lot. All of the live-action shots will be cut the same as they were for the original master by using EDLs or eye matching. See my post on this here from the Rumor: TNG-HD thread.
does this mean they'll have to re-do all the music, too, since they don't have the timing cues or anything to work with?
No. CBS will use the stems that were prepared for the 2002 DVD release when they remixed to 5.1 surround sound.
I'm guessing a few more sound effects will be added if the visual effects space shots require them.
Old May 22 2011, 08:33 PM   #19
Bonzo the Fifth
Commander

Send a message via ICQ to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via AIM to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Bonzo the Fifth Send a message via Yahoo to Bonzo the Fifth
Re: editing & music

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
Well, given that the episodes are going to have to be re-cut from stock, anyway, I imagine we're going to get some of that, regardless, seeing as they're essentially going to be re-edited from scratch, the good part being that they don't have to worry about cutting for time, just pacing and appropriateness,
Bonzo the Fifth a remastering is recreating what was already there but to the highest quality, not a reimagining. CBS will be doing this as cheaply as possible as the recreated CGI visual effects will cost a lot. All of the live-action shots will be cut the same as they were for the original master by using EDLs or eye matching. See my post on this here from the Rumor: TNG-HD thread.

Well, wouldn't the cheapest way to do that, then, be to just simply hire an editor to re-go through the footage. Without the cues to work with, just 'eyeballing' to get the closest possible match to the original episodes might actually be the MORE expensive option, as opposed to just making a quick judgement call based on available footage...

Just another thing that, while it would be nice to get as close as possible, just won't be economical in the long run.

At least that's my understanding, which assumes that nothing other than just the finished video footage exists... If the documentation and cues are still recorded somewhere, then, great, re-duplicating the episodes should be trivial, but if the archival is really as bad and non-future proofed as some posters here seem to be assume, this may get very complicated, very quickly, in which case, it would just be more expedient to say to hell with the original layout and just do a 'best guess' of the product, to prevent cost overruns.

In the end, though, I don't work in TV production, and neither, I suspect, do most of us... Whatever the result, I'm sure it'll be the most that can be done on a limited production budget and schedule. Whatever we want or however we think it 'should' be done is irrelevant, as I'm sure economics will determine all decisions related to this process...
Old May 26 2011, 05:07 PM   #20
Kadratis
Fleet Captain

Flake wrote: View Post
Gag reels!
This.
Old August 8 2011, 04:50 PM   #21
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

A gag reel in HD.
Surely the assistant editors will be looking through footage and may find some of funny things. They can have it telecined.

Also I'd like to see some alternate takes with production dialogue. This would really show the Paramount Trek production process but would also require getting the original 1/4" tape production audio reels transferred to digital and sync with newly transferred film.
Some TV series show extended scenes or alternate takes on DVDs as special features. 'ER' is one of those shows. I don't think they want to spend additional money doing that at all.

TOS, TNG, DS9, & VOY disappointed me on the DVDs with no commentaries except "The Trouble with Tribbles" with writer David Gerrold on the TOS s.1 Blu-ray.
By 2005 though DVD had a lot of special features on most discs for complete season sets and ENT had commentaries on a handful of episodes each season when they released it in 2005.
With this TNG-R Blu-ray release in 2012 I'm expecting great things to get fans to double (and triple) dip. VHS, DVD, Blu-ray. With many people streaming video of movies and TV series when you actually purchase the Blu-ray disc not only do you get better video/audio quality you get the special features including commentaries and multiple audio language options.
If "Mad Men" can have Audio commentaries by cast and crew for each and every episode of the show on BD & DVD and sometimes 2 then TNG-R can have them too. It's one of the cheapest special features to create and long lasting enjoyment for fans and rewatchability. The fans DO want cast & crew commentaries. Sometimes the writer, sometimes the director, sometimes the editor, sometimes the producer. This is the only chance CBS is getting to redo the home video release in high definition so they should give it all they have to have more ways to sell it.

I want a 15 minute featurette on the restoration process and creation of new VFX for the TNG-R episodes similar to the TOS-R
'Spacelift: Transporting Trek into the 21st Century' (HD 20 min.) " interviews with the team that updated the special effects and remastered the series for re-release, and demonstrations of their work. "

Come on hardcore TNG Trek fans would want to see some 'unprinted takes' that were shot for scenes with improv dialog or alternate line readings from actors, or a wide master shot of a whole scene without edits.
Old September 6 2011, 11:28 PM   #22
RAMA
Vice Admiral

The OFFICIAL STNG-R general discussion thread!

I'm satisfied that the Bluray of STNG is finally upon us...between the Digital Bits news and Levar Burton tweets...so I think the rumor thread is probably no longer valid. Official word may come on Sept 8th or Sept 28th, but we do KNOW there will be at least 4 episodes in HD!

RAMA
Old September 7 2011, 12:00 AM   #23
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL STNG-R discussion thread!

It occurred to me..unless he was lying, Okuda is not involved in this project at ALL apparently. He said he had no idea about it. How do people feel about this? It's one element of this that has me worried.

RAMA
Old September 7 2011, 12:04 AM   #24
Jeff O'Connor
Commodore

Send a message via AIM to Jeff O'Connor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Jeff O'Connor

Lack of Okuda is pretty strange. Hopefully they'll pull him in eventually.
Old September 7 2011, 01:46 PM   #25
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

I expect audio commentaries on the complete seasons on blu-ray and some of Okuda text trivia commentaries.

For any Additions to content in VFX shots should consult Okuda really.
Some PADD or bridge displays may need new LCARS graphics is a VFX shot.
Old September 7 2011, 02:01 PM   #26
RAMA
Vice Admiral

How many are asking for it as an Xmas gift?

jefferiestubes8 wrote: View Post
I expect audio commentaries on the complete seasons on blu-ray and some of Okuda text trivia commentaries.

For any Additions to content in VFX shots should consult Okuda really.
Some PADD or bridge displays may need new LCARS graphics is a VFX shot.
Seems odd since he worked on STNG but not TOS that he should not be involved....a decent number of Okudagrams could be expanded on.
Old September 7 2011, 02:18 PM   #27
Trek Survivor
Captain

The Star Wars blu-ray set was not enough to get me off my backside and finally buy a blu-ray player, but TNG? Oh, most definitely.

Excited to see what the first episodes will be (I know it sounds like one will be "Encounter At Farpoint"), and what the extras will be, new effects etc.

Compared to George Lucas' criminal treatment of "updating" the Star Wars trilogy, the TOS-R was incredibly reverential and appropriate, and I'm hopeful TNG-R will be as well.

Cannot wait!!
Old September 7 2011, 02:30 PM   #28
Jefferies
Captain

If they remaster all 178 episodes I would expect them to develop very good cost efficiency in the remastering process. If TNG-R sells well maybe they will use this expertise to remaster DS9 and VOY at a lower cost? There is always hoping!
Old September 7 2011, 02:42 PM   #29
RAMA
Vice Admiral

Jefferies wrote: View Post
If they remaster all 178 episodes I would expect them to develop very good cost efficiency in the remastering process. If TNG-R sells well maybe they will use this expertise to remaster DS9 and VOY at a lower cost? There is always hoping!
The tech is always advancing...scanning the negatives into digital takes less time than 5 years ago, who know what will happen in the future.

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet...&siteID=123112

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spirit_DataCine

The Star Wars blu-ray set was not enough to get me off my backside and finally buy a blu-ray player, but TNG? Oh, most definitely.

Excited to see what the first episodes will be (I know it sounds like one will be "Encounter At Farpoint"), and what the extras will be, new effects etc.

Compared to George Lucas' criminal treatment of "updating" the Star Wars trilogy, the TOS-R was incredibly reverential and appropriate, and I'm hopeful TNG-R will be as well.

Cannot wait!
TOS-R spurred me to buy and HD-DVD player. I already have a Bluray player, but I only own 3 bluray discs. STNG-R will definitely be on the list!
Old September 7 2011, 02:48 PM   #30
Joker
Vice Admiral

Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Joker

RAMA wrote: View Post
I'm satisfied that the Bluray of STNG is finally upon us...
I guess that makes it official.