Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Gaming

Gaming Non-Star Trek Gaming

Old September 5 2011, 02:00 AM   #1276
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell
Re: Minecraft

Yeah, but that was a bug which was soon fixed. I'm not sure what you can do with Endermen, but they sound like griefer mobs...
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:29 AM   #1277
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I see the Endermen, the same way I see the creepers, meaning that they're destructive.
Owain Taggart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 03:47 AM   #1278
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

And apparently they can teleport to follow and kill you just for looking at them. I wonder if there might be some kind of Endermen-only resource, kind of like how gunpowder can only be obtained from Creepers and Ghasts.
"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Itisnotlogical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 02:04 PM   #1279
Cutter John
Rear Admiral

They're also very rare. So the chance that a bunch are going to come and disassemble your house are practically nill.
"The way I see it, every life is a pile of good things and bad things. The good things don't always soften the bad things. But vice versa, the bad things don't necessarily spoil the good things or make them unimportant."
Cutter John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 04:13 PM   #1280
Peak
Fleet Captain

Vechs, of "Super Hostile"-fame have made a multiplayer competitive Super Hostile map now.

Two versus Two seems to be the best deal here.

Promo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcnq02R-3Wk

The beta LP:ers (all four adds their viewpoint on yt, here's one of them (the rest in the description: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXleQcCYiB8

My DVDs
Peak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 08:51 PM   #1281
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Has anyone seen this water shader? Would likely break my computer Looks beautiful though.

http://www.minecraftforum.net/news/2...-water-shader/
Old September 5 2011, 10:28 PM   #1282
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I've seen it and it does look really nice, but I don't think it fits with Minecraft's aesthetic. The reflection is curvy, like real water, but Minecraft is blocky, so it looks weird to me. I think it would look better if the reflection was pixelated somehow.
Old September 6 2011, 12:26 AM   #1283
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

Yeah, I agree. I think people tend to want too much out of Minecraft.
Old September 6 2011, 12:30 AM   #1284
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Yeah, and then they say Notch should do more beta testing... even though this IS beta testing, going on right now

By the way, I was doing some pixel art in Classic mode, and who else should I find but Giygas, part of the randomly generated world?

I added red and black blocks to make it clearer, and sure enough, it's Giygas.

"Good grief. You guys sure know how to make something out of nothing. And then take sides about whether or not it's nothing, and then change your minds and discuss why you thought it was something." - Kestra
Old September 6 2011, 02:28 PM   #1285
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

The 1.8 trailer:

I've been looking forward to this update since I first heard about it, but learning that the NPCs have been pushed back to 1.9 kinda ruins it for me. I'd prefer it if they pushed back the release a week and put some rudimentary NPCs in there so that the villages aren't so empty.
Old September 6 2011, 02:49 PM   #1286
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

I don't know. NPC's are one thing I'd like to see done very, very well in Minecraft. I'd rather wait until Notch and co. are sure that they've done the best they can on them before they're released, rather than wait for a hasty patch because of buggy AI or something.
Old September 6 2011, 05:53 PM   #1287
TheGodBen
Rear Admiral

I want proper NPCs too, but I'd prefer place-holder NPCs in the 1.8 patch rather than abandoned villages. I'd like it if they took a few days to design the appearance of the NPCs and gave them the AI of zombie pigmen with a few modifications (such as preventing them from leaving the village). They could be completely reprogrammed for 1.9, the only similarity being their appearance.
Old September 6 2011, 06:03 PM   #1288
Itisnotlogical
Commodore

Another thing I'd like to see is more stuff to do with wolves. As it stands, there's not really much to do with them, especially in multiplayer because combat in SMP is mostly hit-and-miss. Maybe teach them how to do tricks, or have them patrol, or maybe an "aggressive" mode where they automatically attack nearby mobs.
Old September 6 2011, 08:22 PM   #1289
Owain Taggart
Rear Admiral

The biggest thing about this update is the adventure update, so the fact that there aren't NPCs yet in the NPC villages doesn't bother me too much. I think there will be too much to do to notice.

But the interesting thing is, if you watch the behind the scenes video, they say that one of the villages will happen near the spawn point. Seeing as we have already lots built near our spawn point, I wonder how that would work.
Old September 6 2011, 08:28 PM   #1290
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Owain Taggart wrote: View Post
The biggest thing about this update is the adventure update, so the fact that there aren't NPCs yet in the NPC villages doesn't bother me too much. I think there will be too much to do to notice.

But the interesting thing is, if you watch the behind the scenes video, they say that one of the villages will happen near the spawn point. Seeing as we have already lots built near our spawn point, I wonder how that would work.
In keeping with Minecraft tradition, I suspect new features are only generated in new chunks, so there would be no NPC village magically cropping up near our spawn point. I am still considering pruning explored but undeveloped chunks once we go to 1.8 or 1.9, though. I doubt any of us just wants to wipe the slate clean.

An alternative would be to generate a brand-new world, then copy and paste the structures we built in our "old" world into a designated area. I could tweak the landscape enough so it's not too discontinuous, but even that whole process might be too radical for us. I am open to suggestions.
"You are one of the most unpleasant individuals I have encountered on this forum. I have no respect for you, and I doubt I ever will, since you keep insisting on being a complete and utter ass." - Timewalker
Robert Maxwell is online now   Reply With Quote