Star Trek Seekers Cover Art
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Fan Film Axanar Kickstarter Success
By: T'Bonz on Aug 27

Two New Starship Collection Ships
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Trek Actor Wins Emmy
By: T'Bonz on Aug 26

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > The Next Generation

The Next Generation All Good Things come to an end...but not here.

Old September 3 2011, 01:14 PM   #511
Flake
Commodore

Re: Rumor: TNG-HD is a-coming

I won't be totally 'at ease' with this project until I can see the first footage and see whether or not it is upscaled from SD or totally re-scanned from the 35mm film. Until then I will not be holding my breath in anticipation!
Flake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2011, 01:47 PM   #512
Dac
Commodore

View Dac's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Dac

It'll be upscaled from the masters. Yes, that'll suck, but at the same time digitally cleaned up footage from the original reels should look MUCH better than the copies of copies we've had on TV and DVD for the past god knows how long.
Dac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2011, 02:29 PM   #513
jefferiestubes8
Commodore

I think with the encounter at farpoint mention that would indicate cbs wants to start with season one if they are doing all seasons. It would take care of a double episode. It would have the ilm effects of the ent-D shots. It would introduce the show to people who have not seen it in the same way it was introduced in 1987.
4 episodes is an investment and not a full season of investment just yet. Maybe they want feedback. Maybe cbs wants to find out if in-house is the best way (err most cost effective) to go?
jefferiestubes8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 02:14 AM   #514
RAMA
Vice Admiral

How long has THIS been up?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Trek-Next.../dp/B0019NG7SQ
Old September 4 2011, 02:31 AM   #515
CaptainJack
Lieutenant Commander

I have never bought any TNG dvd's even tho its my Favorite Series. But I CANT WAIT for this. Please do it right. Im all for expanding on and adding in different ship classes that they didnt do the first time. Heck. If all the FX ended up looking like Generations FX I'd be soooo happy.
CaptainJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 02:56 AM   #516
Hober Mallow
Commodore

Location: The planet Terminus, site of the Encyclopedia Foundation on the periphery of the galaxy

Dac wrote: View Post
It'll be upscaled from the masters. Yes, that'll suck, but at the same time digitally cleaned up footage from the original reels should look MUCH better than the copies of copies we've had on TV and DVD for the past god knows how long.
There are no "reels" to remaster. Upscaling videotape will never look any better than "Trials and Tribble-ations" did on the TOS blu-ray. They have to reedit the original raw footage again or it won't be even close to HD. Apparently they think they've found a way to make this feasible, so we'll see what happens.
Old September 4 2011, 03:51 PM   #517
Dac
Commodore

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post
There are no "reels" to remaster. Upscaling videotape will never look any better than "Trials and Tribble-ations" did on the TOS blu-ray. They have to reedit the original raw footage again or it won't be even close to HD. Apparently they think they've found a way to make this feasible, so we'll see what happens.

Ok, reels was a bad choice of words, but I mean they're working from the VHS tape (or equivalent of) master, as opposed to the original film negative because most of the negatives don't exist anymore.

Of course they've found a way to make it feasible, as I don't think Trials and Tribble-ations had any up-scaling/cleanup/enhancement work done short of just bumping up the resolution.
Old September 4 2011, 05:07 PM   #518
bullethead
Fleet Captain

Hober Mallow wrote: View Post

Ok, reels was a bad choice of words, but I mean they're working from the VHS tape (or equivalent of) master, as opposed to the original film negative because most of the negatives don't exist anymore.

Of course they've found a way to make it feasible, as I don't think Trials and Tribble-ations had any up-scaling/cleanup/enhancement work done short of just bumping up the resolution.
IIRC the TNG footage in TATV seemed to be taken from the original negatives.
Old September 4 2011, 07:13 PM   #519
Dac
Commodore

And that footage was taken from an episode at the back end of Season 7, I'd be amazed if the early series' negatives even existed, let alone in a usable condition.
Old September 4 2011, 07:28 PM   #520
bullethead
Fleet Captain

And that footage was taken from an episode at the back end of Season 7, I'd be amazed if the early series' negatives even existed, let alone in a usable condition.
Why? They had the negatives for TOS and that was from the 60s. I would imagine they would keep all the TNG stuff as well once Trek got big again.

And really, the only thing about early TNG that looks terrible are the VHS transfers, which aren't going to be used here.
Old September 4 2011, 07:39 PM   #521
Dac
Commodore

bullethead wrote: View Post
Why? They had the negatives for TOS and that was from the 60s. I would imagine they would keep all the TNG stuff as well once Trek got big again.

And really, the only thing about early TNG that looks terrible are the VHS transfers, which aren't going to be used here.
They didn't have the negatives from TOS, they had the masters which were mastered on 35mm film, which is why they could just go back and rescan those masters at HD resolution. TNG was never mastered on film, which is why were having this discussion in the first place.

I'll bet you a million billion cookies that TNG-R is in fact upscaled SD masters.
Old September 4 2011, 08:48 PM   #522
RAMA
Vice Admiral

bullethead wrote: View Post

They didn't have the negatives from TOS, they had the masters which were mastered on 35mm film, which is why they could just go back and rescan those masters at HD resolution. TNG was never mastered on film, which is why were having this discussion in the first place.

I'll bet you a million billion cookies that TNG-R is in fact upscaled SD masters.
Digital Bits goes into further detail as to why a high-definition remaster of The Next Generation is much more problematic than of the older Star Trek: The Original Series. TNG was shot on film, but all post-production and visual effects were done on standard-definition analog video. As Bits editor Bill Hunt states, "if they just simply digitally upconverted from 480i to 1080p, there's NOBODY who would want to buy that on Blu-ray". Therefore, the only solution left is to scan all the original camera negatives, edit it again in HD, and redo all FX using computer graphics, like CBS did with the remastered versions of The Original Series.
There were no "masters" but because the film negatives exist they could do the post-production from scratch, which in this case is expensive and time-consuming but also, ultimately the best way to go...with modern sound, music, FX etc. I recall Okuda said the FX don't exist (and couldn't be used anyway) but they probably have sound and music saved somewhere that can be used. I'm wondering if Levar had to show up to do some looping too.

Another current convo on blu-ray.com: http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-mov...lu-ray-16.html

RAMA

Last edited by RAMA; September 4 2011 at 09:57 PM.
RAMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 11:05 PM   #523
Maxwell Everett
Commodore

It was from "Ménage à Troi" in Season 3 and Okuda stated in 2009 that all the negatives still exist.

As far as we know, virtually all of the original camera negative from ST:TNG is still in storage. (We asked, several years ago.)

http://trekweb.com/stories.php?aid=4a08e9d0eaa47
Until recently, the negatives were probably stored in the Hutchinson Salt Mine in Kansas:

http://youtu.be/aDM_HrdRrio?t=2m35s

Last edited by Maxwell Everett; September 4 2011 at 11:31 PM.
Maxwell Everett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 05:29 PM   #524
Savage Dragon
TheSeeker

I haven't purchased any TNG since I cancelled my subscription to the TNG Collector's Edition on VHS from Columbia House back in the 90s.

If this HD conversion looks as good as I hope it will my wife will have a hard time stopping me from buying it!
Savage Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 06:45 PM   #525
gaghyogi49
Lieutenant Commander

According to this site (careful! German!):

http://www.bluray-disc.de/blu-ray-ne...next-generatio

a four episode set of TNG episodes on Blu-ray will be released in Germany on December 15th. The episodes episodes will be "Encounter at Farpoint", "Sins of the father" and "The inner light".
gaghyogi49 is offline   Reply With Quote