Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 2 2011, 07:22 AM   #196
captcalhoun
Admiral

Re: Charting the Novel-verse

the books are ALL based on 'canon'. but they're not canon themselves.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2011, 08:57 AM   #197
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral

Christopher wrote: View Post
Let's see, this thread is for listing connections between/among novels, right? Well, I just discovered a minor, unexpected one. In Howard Weinstein's first Trek novel, The Covenant of the Crown from 1981, there's a brief but memorable appearance by a security guard named Ensign Michael Howard (possibly a self-insertion, judging from the name). The same character (or a character with the same name, rank, and posting) reappears eleven years later in Ice Trap by L. A. Graf, and again in at least one other Graf novel, Firestorm. There's also a very brief mention of a security guard named Howard in my own Ex Machina, which I intended as an allusion to the Graf novels, but I'm pleased to discover that Ensign Howard originated in Covenant, one of my all-time favorite "oldies." And surprised to see that L. A. Graf were able to include that reference in a time when the books were supposed to avoid continuity and crossovers. I guess he's an obscure enough character that he slipped under the radar.
Very cool. Will go into my notes.
Old September 4 2011, 02:51 AM   #198
JD
Admiral

For the past few days I've been reading through Voyages of The Imagination, and when I was reading about Michael Jan Friedman's TNG novel Fortune's Light, I noticed that it has a character named Teller Conlon. So I was wondering, is there any intentional relationship between him and SCE/Voyager's Nancy Conlon, or is the shared surname purely coincidental?
Old September 4 2011, 11:27 PM   #199
ryan123450
Commodore

View ryan123450's Twitter Profile

Let's see, this thread is for listing connections between/among novels, right? Well, I just discovered a minor, unexpected one. In Howard Weinstein's first Trek novel, The Covenant of the Crown from 1981, there's a brief but memorable appearance by a security guard named Ensign Michael Howard (possibly a self-insertion, judging from the name). The same character (or a character with the same name, rank, and posting) reappears eleven years later in Ice Trap by L. A. Graf, and again in at least one other Graf novel, Firestorm. There's also a very brief mention of a security guard named Howard in my own Ex Machina, which I intended as an allusion to the Graf novels, but I'm pleased to discover that Ensign Howard originated in Covenant, one of my all-time favorite "oldies." And surprised to see that L. A. Graf were able to include that reference in a time when the books were supposed to avoid continuity and crossovers. I guess he's an obscure enough character that he slipped under the radar.
Just found Ensign Howard in Death Count as well.

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 09:56 PM   #200
Yevetha
Commodore

Could someone tell me what kind of enemy species and ships appear in Stargazer Gauntlet.

i might read it, but memory-beta is silent about the matter.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 05:24 AM   #201
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Yevetha wrote: View Post
Could someone tell me what kind of enemy species and ships appear in Stargazer Gauntlet.

It depends how deep you want to go into spoiler territory really. In this first novel, the Stargazer is ordered to track down the enigmatic pirate known simply as the "White Wolf". Starship wise, the Stargazer and several of her Constellation-class sister ships (notably the USS Cochise) are featured as well as the "White Wolf"'s ship (shown on the cover) is featured.

As for aliens, I believe there was several aliens among the "White Wolf"'s crew, including a Nausicaan I believe. Of course, their are also the aliens aboard Stargazer such as Simenon and Jitterica, but they aren't who you're after.

The rest of the Stargazer series was more replete with aliens throughout the rest of its run.
Old September 6 2011, 01:52 PM   #202
Yevetha
Commodore

Thanks i am liking it so far.
Old September 6 2011, 09:44 PM   #203
JWolf
Commodore

bok2384 wrote: View Post
Yevetha wrote: View Post

It depends how deep you want to go into spoiler territory really.

Go back and edit your message and put in spoiler codes. Not everyone has read these books and you are spoiling them.
Old September 6 2011, 10:47 PM   #204
Christopher
Writer

JWolf wrote: View Post
Go back and edit your message and put in spoiler codes. Not everyone has read these books and you are spoiling them.
"There is a word. Among us there is no corresponding meaning, but it seems to mean something to you humans."

"And what is that word?"

"Please."

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 11:24 PM   #205
JWolf
Commodore

JWolf wrote: View Post
"There is a word. Among us there is no corresponding meaning, but it seems to mean something to you humans."

"And what is that word?"

"Please."
It's rude to assume everyone who is reading this thread has read the books. So what's been done is by reading that post, you do spoil some of the book. Spoilers left out in the open in a non-spoiler OK thread doesn't deserve a please.
Old September 7 2011, 12:21 AM   #206
Thrawn
Rear Admiral

Those are some pretty damn mild spoilers. I now know there's a ship - pictured on the cover - that has a Nausicaan on it. Whooooa shit! Guess I better not read it now.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 12:38 AM   #207
LightningStorm
The Borg King

JWolf, knock off the mini-modding. This is the 2nd time in recent memory that you've done that. If you do it again you will receive an infraction for it.

As for the alleged spoiler. 1. Thrawn is right it's not really a spoiler. and 2. Even if it were this thread's very nature insinuates that it will be spoiling pretty much the whole of the novel-verse. Now, had the spoiler been about more recent books, sure a spoiler warning/coding could be warranted, but for Stargazer?? No. not necessary.
Old September 7 2011, 05:28 AM   #208
bok2384
Commander

View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Those are some pretty damn mild spoilers. I now know there's a ship - pictured on the cover - that has a Nausicaan on it. Whooooa shit! Guess I better not read it now.
I couldn't put it better myself! Spoilers!! WTF!!! I was going to include a spoiler tag (hence the opening line) as I was going to include...

But I decided not to. In the meantime, I suggest you read up on what the definition of a spoiler is, JWolf, really. I just reiterated what the plot of the story was which is that Stargazer was sent to track down a pirate. I think you can find similar information somewhere... such as the back cover of the novel or any site which sells the book and features said blurb.
Old September 7 2011, 01:01 PM   #209
Christopher
Writer

^Right. It's nonsense to say that any information about the content of a story is a spoiler. A spoiler is something that spoils, i.e. ruins, the satisfaction of the reading/viewing experience, say, by giving away the ending or the big shocking twist on whose concealment the whole narrative depends. It doesn't ruin the story just to know what it's generally about and who's in it.

(Although I read that somebody did a study recently and found that, on the average, people who'd been spoiled on the endings of stories tended to enjoy them more than people who hadn't been. Maybe because their overall comprehension of the story was better, or something.)

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 01:45 PM   #210
Yevetha
Commodore

I actually like being spoiled.