RSS iconTwitter iconFacebook icon

The Trek BBS title image

The Trek BBS statistics

Threads: 138,901
Posts: 5,387,320
Members: 24,717
Currently online: 602
Newest member: teriankhoka

TrekToday headlines

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Cumberbatch To Voice Khan
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Shaun And Ed On Phineas and Ferb
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

New Ships Coming From Official Starships Collection
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Trek Stars Take On Ice Bucket Challenge
By: T'Bonz on Aug 18

Retro Review: Profit and Lace
By: Michelle on Aug 16

Eve Engaged
By: T'Bonz on Aug 15

Shatner’s Get A Life DVD Debuts
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14

TV Alert: Takei Oprah Appearance
By: T'Bonz on Aug 14


Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.


Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 2 2011, 07:22 AM   #196
captcalhoun
Admiral
 
Location: everywhere
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

the books are ALL based on 'canon'. but they're not canon themselves.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2011, 08:57 AM   #197
Turtletrekker
Vice Admiral
 
Turtletrekker's Avatar
 
Location: Tacoma, Washington
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

Christopher wrote: View Post
Let's see, this thread is for listing connections between/among novels, right? Well, I just discovered a minor, unexpected one. In Howard Weinstein's first Trek novel, The Covenant of the Crown from 1981, there's a brief but memorable appearance by a security guard named Ensign Michael Howard (possibly a self-insertion, judging from the name). The same character (or a character with the same name, rank, and posting) reappears eleven years later in Ice Trap by L. A. Graf, and again in at least one other Graf novel, Firestorm. There's also a very brief mention of a security guard named Howard in my own Ex Machina, which I intended as an allusion to the Graf novels, but I'm pleased to discover that Ensign Howard originated in Covenant, one of my all-time favorite "oldies." And surprised to see that L. A. Graf were able to include that reference in a time when the books were supposed to avoid continuity and crossovers. I guess he's an obscure enough character that he slipped under the radar.
Very cool. Will go into my notes.
__________________
I hate having thoughts on the top of my head. They usually jump off and commit suicide.
Turtletrekker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 02:51 AM   #198
JD
Admiral
 
JD's Avatar
 
Location: Arizona, USA
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

For the past few days I've been reading through Voyages of The Imagination, and when I was reading about Michael Jan Friedman's TNG novel Fortune's Light, I noticed that it has a character named Teller Conlon. So I was wondering, is there any intentional relationship between him and SCE/Voyager's Nancy Conlon, or is the shared surname purely coincidental?
__________________
My name is Max. My world is fire and blood. - Mad Max: Fury Road coming May 15, 2015
JD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 11:27 PM   #199
ryan123450
Commodore
 
ryan123450's Avatar
 
Location: Woodward, OK
View ryan123450's Twitter Profile
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

Christopher wrote: View Post
Let's see, this thread is for listing connections between/among novels, right? Well, I just discovered a minor, unexpected one. In Howard Weinstein's first Trek novel, The Covenant of the Crown from 1981, there's a brief but memorable appearance by a security guard named Ensign Michael Howard (possibly a self-insertion, judging from the name). The same character (or a character with the same name, rank, and posting) reappears eleven years later in Ice Trap by L. A. Graf, and again in at least one other Graf novel, Firestorm. There's also a very brief mention of a security guard named Howard in my own Ex Machina, which I intended as an allusion to the Graf novels, but I'm pleased to discover that Ensign Howard originated in Covenant, one of my all-time favorite "oldies." And surprised to see that L. A. Graf were able to include that reference in a time when the books were supposed to avoid continuity and crossovers. I guess he's an obscure enough character that he slipped under the radar.
Just found Ensign Howard in Death Count as well.
__________________

Glory be to the Father, and to the Son, and to the Holy Spirit.
ryan123450 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 09:56 PM   #200
Yevetha
Commodore
 
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

Could someone tell me what kind of enemy species and ships appear in Stargazer Gauntlet.

i might read it, but memory-beta is silent about the matter.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 05:24 AM   #201
bok2384
Commander
 
bok2384's Avatar
 
Location: Warwickshire, UK
View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

Yevetha wrote: View Post
Could someone tell me what kind of enemy species and ships appear in Stargazer Gauntlet.

i might read it, but memory-beta is silent about the matter.
It depends how deep you want to go into spoiler territory really. In this first novel, the Stargazer is ordered to track down the enigmatic pirate known simply as the "White Wolf". Starship wise, the Stargazer and several of her Constellation-class sister ships (notably the USS Cochise) are featured as well as the "White Wolf"'s ship (shown on the cover) is featured.

As for aliens, I believe there was several aliens among the "White Wolf"'s crew, including a Nausicaan I believe. Of course, their are also the aliens aboard Stargazer such as Simenon and Jitterica, but they aren't who you're after.

The rest of the Stargazer series was more replete with aliens throughout the rest of its run.
__________________
Currently reading: Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward
Next up: The Fall: A Ceremony of Losses by David Mack
bok2384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 01:52 PM   #202
Yevetha
Commodore
 
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

Thanks i am liking it so far.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 09:44 PM   #203
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

bok2384 wrote: View Post
Yevetha wrote: View Post
Could someone tell me what kind of enemy species and ships appear in Stargazer Gauntlet.

i might read it, but memory-beta is silent about the matter.
It depends how deep you want to go into spoiler territory really.

Go back and edit your message and put in spoiler codes. Not everyone has read these books and you are spoiling them.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 10:47 PM   #204
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

JWolf wrote: View Post
Go back and edit your message and put in spoiler codes. Not everyone has read these books and you are spoiling them.
"There is a word. Among us there is no corresponding meaning, but it seems to mean something to you humans."

"And what is that word?"

"Please."
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 6 2011, 11:24 PM   #205
JWolf
Commodore
 
JWolf's Avatar
 
Location: Massachusetts, USA
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

Christopher wrote: View Post
JWolf wrote: View Post
Go back and edit your message and put in spoiler codes. Not everyone has read these books and you are spoiling them.
"There is a word. Among us there is no corresponding meaning, but it seems to mean something to you humans."

"And what is that word?"

"Please."
It's rude to assume everyone who is reading this thread has read the books. So what's been done is by reading that post, you do spoil some of the book. Spoilers left out in the open in a non-spoiler OK thread doesn't deserve a please.
__________________
Jon
JWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 12:21 AM   #206
Thrawn
Rear Admiral
 
Thrawn's Avatar
 
Location: Washington, DC
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

Those are some pretty damn mild spoilers. I now know there's a ship - pictured on the cover - that has a Nausicaan on it. Whooooa shit! Guess I better not read it now.
Thrawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 12:38 AM   #207
LightningStorm
The Borg King
 
LightningStorm's Avatar
 
Location: Kansas City
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

JWolf, knock off the mini-modding. This is the 2nd time in recent memory that you've done that. If you do it again you will receive an infraction for it.

As for the alleged spoiler. 1. Thrawn is right it's not really a spoiler. and 2. Even if it were this thread's very nature insinuates that it will be spoiling pretty much the whole of the novel-verse. Now, had the spoiler been about more recent books, sure a spoiler warning/coding could be warranted, but for Stargazer?? No. not necessary.
__________________
Nothing in the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. (Martin Luther King, Jr. (1929-68))
LightningStorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 05:28 AM   #208
bok2384
Commander
 
bok2384's Avatar
 
Location: Warwickshire, UK
View bok2384's Twitter Profile Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to bok2384
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

Thrawn wrote: View Post
Those are some pretty damn mild spoilers. I now know there's a ship - pictured on the cover - that has a Nausicaan on it. Whooooa shit! Guess I better not read it now.
I couldn't put it better myself! Spoilers!! WTF!!! I was going to include a spoiler tag (hence the opening line) as I was going to include...


But I decided not to. In the meantime, I suggest you read up on what the definition of a spoiler is, JWolf, really. I just reiterated what the plot of the story was which is that Stargazer was sent to track down a pirate. I think you can find similar information somewhere... such as the back cover of the novel or any site which sells the book and features said blurb.
__________________
Currently reading: Typhon Pact: Paths of Disharmony by Dayton Ward
Next up: The Fall: A Ceremony of Losses by David Mack
bok2384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 01:01 PM   #209
Christopher
Writer
 
Christopher's Avatar
 
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

^Right. It's nonsense to say that any information about the content of a story is a spoiler. A spoiler is something that spoils, i.e. ruins, the satisfaction of the reading/viewing experience, say, by giving away the ending or the big shocking twist on whose concealment the whole narrative depends. It doesn't ruin the story just to know what it's generally about and who's in it.

(Although I read that somebody did a study recently and found that, on the average, people who'd been spoiled on the endings of stories tended to enjoy them more than people who hadn't been. Maybe because their overall comprehension of the story was better, or something.)
__________________
Christopher L. Bennett Homepage -- Site update 4/8/14 including annotations for Rise of the Federation: Tower of Babel

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 7 2011, 01:45 PM   #210
Yevetha
Commodore
 
Re: Charting the Novel-verse

I actually like being spoiled.
Yevetha is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT +1. The time now is 07:30 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.6
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
FireFox 2+ or Internet Explorer 7+ highly recommended.