Star Trek 3 Potential Director Shortlist
By: T'Bonz on Dec 16

Official Starships Collection Update
By: T'Bonz on Dec 15

Retro Review: Prodigal Daughter
By: Michelle on Dec 13

Sindicate Lager To Debut In The US Next Week
By: T'Bonz on Dec 12

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Star Trek TV Series > Deep Space Nine

Deep Space Nine What We Left Behind, we will always have here.

Old August 27 2011, 05:46 PM   #16
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Re: Dukat the demon worshiper, yay or nay?

Jono wrote: View Post
Yeah, WYLB was put together poorly. The Dukat/Winn parts long like they are over minutes/hours while you have the crew section over days at least, which makes the timeline confusing if you actually think about it.
I've kind of "fanwanked" the explanation into assuming that there is a time dilation effect going on in the Fire Caves, that because of the Pah-Wraiths' active presence, there were effects similar to what you would get at relativistic speeds.

But I don't think that explanation should've been necessary.

Anwar wrote: View Post
Sorry, I should have clarified. Until "What you leave behind" I don't think Dukat ever truly encountered a Pah-Wraith, so up till that point his motives to release them should've been entirely selfish and for himself with no real devotion to them. Then when Winn kills him and they revive him, he's nothing more than their possessed puppet.
That's not correct, actually. In "Tears of the Prophets," he did actually absorb one into his body and become possessed by it. You may observe that when he shows up on DS9, he doesn't show normal humanoid behavior (well, as normal as Dukat gets) until after the Pah-Wraith flows out of him and into the Orb. It's only after that, that he speaks or shows some sort of emotion other than the Pah-Wraiths' pure malevolence.

The events of "Covenant" occur after the first incident where he was possessed; that's why I think the Pah-Wraith that possessed him the first time left him permanently lacking free will where the Pah-Wraiths are concerned.
Old August 29 2011, 02:13 PM   #17
Vayne
Ensign

View Vayne's Twitter Profile

I had no problem believing the Dukat evolution, thanks in large part to Alaimo's portayal, however I did feel his final turn to cultist was rushed. I realize the time constraints of the series itself demanded this, but one of the aspects of the Dukat character that I loved best was that he grappled with multiple issues within himself.

For me, that is why it is such a joy to watch and hate him...and why he was my favorite character.

I think his association with the Pah Wraith's was natural, given who he was as a character, I would just like to have seen it developed more carefully.
Vayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29 2011, 07:53 PM   #18
Nerys Ghemor
Vice Admiral

Where I think that should've been addressed would've been after "Waltz" and before "Tears of the Prophets." But honestly, I don't have as big of an issue with that as I do with the poor "scene-splicing" of the Fire Caves events in "What You Leave Behind."
Old September 2 2011, 08:40 PM   #19
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Nay, nay, a thousand times nay. Dukat's essence is that he's a selfish egotist who temporarily wins through his aggressive, risk-taking and audacious nature but ultimately succumbs to self-defeating hubris. This persona is possible only as long as he's in control of his actions. Turn him into a pagh-wraith puppet, and he becomes a bore. Any character would be a bore if that happened to him.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote