Retro Review: Chrysalis
By: Michelle on Oct 18

The Next Generation Season Seven Blu-ray Details
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

CBS Launches Streaming Service

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Literature

Trek Literature "...Good words. That's where ideas begin."

Old September 1 2011, 12:57 AM   #106
sfroth
Lieutenant Commander

Re: Humanoid Sexuality in TrekLit (Minor Spoilers for VGD: Declassifie

Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Backtracking to earlier in the thread to Andorians (sorry), exactly how do they reproduce ?

I am not trying for titilation here - just the biology. If there are two male(ish) and two female(ish) sexes, how does the (4 lots of ?) genetic information get passed on, fertilisation occur and the foetus grow, and where ?
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Andorian_Genders
Old September 1 2011, 07:47 AM   #107
captcalhoun
Admiral

fwiw, as a straight guy, i've never thought there was any malice in any depictions of LGBT characters in Trek lit. i also thought it was blindingly obvious the reason why T'Prynn rejected Sten was cuz she was a lesbian. subtext shmubtext. it's right there in the text. she's a lesbo, she's not interested in sten. she rejects the union. to me, it couldn't have been more obvious if it had been written in neon letters 10 feet high.

and, since i've skimmed some of the thread i might've missed this, but regarding gay Kingons, Enemy Territory established that there were 2 male Klingons having a relationship on the Gorkon and that one of those was married - possibly to a female. i remember the character who was told of the relationship knew he had a 'mate' back home, but IIRC, it was ambivalent if it was a female or male.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2011, 11:59 AM   #108
lvsxy808
Rear Admiral

sfroth wrote: View Post
Relayer1 wrote: View Post
Backtracking to earlier in the thread to Andorians (sorry), exactly how do they reproduce ?

I am not trying for titilation here - just the biology. If there are two male(ish) and two female(ish) sexes, how does the (4 lots of ?) genetic information get passed on, fertilisation occur and the foetus grow, and where ?
http://memory-beta.wikia.com/wiki/Andorian_Genders

From what I vaguely recall, the shen creates the initial gamete, a quarter of the necessary genetic material. The thaan and chan both fertilize the shen, adding their quarters. Then the shen passes the fertilized gamete on to the zhen, who adds the last quarter and carries the fetus to term.

Which does tend to adhere to what I was complaining about earlier - to wit, boy-girl action fine, girl-girl action fine, but boy-boy action a no-no. And yes, I realise I'm reading too much into it.

(Aside: Memory Beta is inconsistent - it states that all four gametes are necessary to conceive, but that the zhen contributes no genetic material to the fetus. It can't be both.)

Read Deep Space Nine, Season 10
All 22 eps available to read on-screen or download and keep!
lvsxy808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2011, 01:38 PM   #109
Mr Silver
Rear Admiral

Species 8472 has 5 genders, can anyone explain the biology behind that?
Mr Silver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2011, 02:38 PM   #110
Christopher
Writer

^Is it five genders or five sexes? Sexes are biological variations differentiated by their reproductive anatomy. Genders are socially defined categories which basically relate to sexuality but are not necessarily isomorphic with the sexes. There are some human cultures that define a third gender in addition to the two biological sexes (like the Hijras of India, biological males who adopt a feminine role). So a society with five genders could have a smaller number of reproductive sexes.

Written Worlds -- My blog
Christopher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2011, 07:11 PM   #111
captcalhoun
Admiral

mem alpha says five sexes.
captcalhoun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2011, 12:41 PM   #112
Andy Mangels
Writer

Nick M wrote: View Post
This thread inspired over an hour of discussion on the topic on our G and T Show podcast last Sunday (Aug. 28). I hope if you listen we don't upset anyone, I think it is a good discussion you will enjoy. (I quote a few of the responses here in the discussion.)
http://www.gandtshow.com
All the best,
Nick
Interesting show, though the gay discussion from this forum took about 50 minutes to get to.

I just finished it, and am amused that the most uncomfortable moments come from Nick's discussion of the way he perceives my attitude in my postings (as opposed to anything I actually say). Apparently the "feces hit the nacelles" and other such comments show how angry I am all the time.

David Mack - there's a question for you at 2:09

Funny too that on the webpage, the Google tags for the episode mention Michael A. Martin -- who I don't think is mentioned by name, though his new book is -- whereas I'm not. But Nick did pronounce my name right — and Ranul Keru's name — so awards for that.

And you've both got good voices for podcast. (Wait, how can I make that sound angrier?) You've both got DAMN good voices for podcast.
Andy Mangels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2011, 02:51 PM   #113
Nick M
Lieutenant

View Nick M's Twitter Profile Send a message via AIM to Nick M

Andy Mangels wrote: View Post
Nick M wrote: View Post
This thread inspired over an hour of discussion on the topic on our G and T Show podcast last Sunday (Aug. 28). I hope if you listen we don't upset anyone, I think it is a good discussion you will enjoy. (I quote a few of the responses here in the discussion.)
http://www.gandtshow.com
All the best,
Nick
Jolan Tru,

Interesting show, though the gay discussion from this forum took about 50 minutes to get to.

I just finished it, and am amused that the most uncomfortable moments come from Nick's discussion of the way he perceives my attitude in my postings (as opposed to anything I actually say). Apparently the "feces hit the nacelles" and other such comments show how angry I am all the time.

David Mack - there's a question for you at 2:09

Funny too that on the webpage, the Google tags for the episode mention Michael A. Martin -- who I don't think is mentioned by name, though his new book is -- whereas I'm not. But Nick did pronounce my name right — and Ranul Keru's name — so awards for that.

And you've both got good voices for podcast. (Wait, how can I make that sound angrier?) You've both got DAMN good voices for podcast.
*facepalm* I was really struggling, and a lot of it is because of my own experience with written word being taken totally taken the wrong way in email when I was in Iraq, and my spouse was here at home. And while I would never read the BBS at work perhaps the frame of mind I am in when I read it has something to do with it.

I am sincerly glad you seemed to enjoy the show, and hope you will continue to. If you would ever like to join us to discuss the topic, or any Trek lit topic, please do! Just let me know and I will send you my Skype info so you can call in. And thank you for the voice comments...Teri usually gets them, so it was a good way to start the day for me!

I will check with the person that does the webpage and tags. Thanks again Sir!

All the best,

Nick
Nick M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3 2011, 01:09 AM   #114
Trelane
Lieutenant Commander

The beauty of fan-fic, both pro and amateur.
Trelane is offline   Reply With Quote