CBS Launches Streaming Service
By: T'Bonz on Oct 17

Yelchin In New Indie Thriller

Saldana In The Book of Life

Cracked’s New Sci-Fi Satire
By: T'Bonz on Oct 16

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > Science Fiction & Fantasy

Science Fiction & Fantasy Farscape, Babylon 5, Star Wars, Firefly, vampires, genre books and film.

Old August 16 2011, 05:37 AM   #46
Ryan
Commodore

Re: "The Walking Dead" Season 2 Updates

Brikar99 wrote: View Post
I find this article from The Holywood Reporter to be extremely frustrating and troubling:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...d-fired-221449
I liked this bit:
Despite the show's success, AMC stuck to its original position on [cutting] the second-season budget. When those involved with the show protested that the network was taking chances with its biggest hit, AMC's head of original programming, Joel Stillerman, is said to have declared, "Ratings have no bearing on this conversation."
Talk about butchering the golden goose.
Ryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 16 2011, 08:10 PM   #47
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
As of last year, Mad Men was pulling in approximately 6 million viewings when adding together all airings, DVR, and VOD.
Pfft, TWD does that in one episode. No need to pad the numbers by cobbling everything together. Comparison of the series' ratings here.

The season finale of AMC's zombie drama "The Walking Dead" lurched all the way to the ratings record book. The episode drew six million viewers, more than any other AMC series.
That let AMC lay claim to the somewhat esoteric but still noteworthy crown of having the most watched drama series in basic cable history among the coveted 18-49 demographic.

Overall, "The Walking Dead" has been by far the most popular series ever on AMC, drawing twice as many viewers as the channel's most critically lauded show, "Mad Men."
(I have no idea why the HuffPo thinks the demographic the advertisers want to reach is "esoteric." It's more like "the whole point of TV." )

TWD also does great overseas:

Season one of The Walking Dead marked the best performance for a US cable show in the international market. It delivered record breaking ratings in both the US and internationally.
But this whole fracas does have the benefit of demonstrating why it's good that TV honchos make heartless decisions based on a cold-blooded look at the Nielsens. To do it any other way just means the suits are going to favor their pet projects. Why should I have any respect for that? I don't care about what they like, I care about what I like! I'm willing to let the Nielsens be the arbiter because at least it's objective.

So the next time you're favorite show gets axed for low ratings, just be glad it isn't being axed because the suits like a different show better.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20 2011, 02:34 PM   #48
Morpheus 02
Commodore

How much money would be saved if they got rid of the AMC execs?
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2011, 12:46 AM   #49
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Well, it looks like we're going to need to be okay with a small number of episodes at a time...

Season two is set to premiere on October 16 with a 90-minute episode, then air six more episodes over a six-week period before going on hiatus. The season will then resume on February 12 for the remaining six episodes.
PsychoPere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2 2011, 04:04 AM   #50
clint g
Admiral

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
Well, it looks like we're going to need to be okay with a small number of episodes at a time...

Season two is set to premiere on October 16 with a 90-minute episode, then air six more episodes over a six-week period before going on hiatus. The season will then resume on February 12 for the remaining six episodes.
I would rather they just hold all the episodes until February. I don't mind having short seasons but it just kills me when they spread them like this
Old September 2 2011, 05:31 AM   #51
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Yeesh. Just show all 12 and then let us wait another year for the next bunch. We waited a year for this bunch, didn't we?
Old September 2 2011, 07:18 AM   #52
Dream
Admiral

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Yeesh. Just show all 12 and then let us wait another year for the next bunch. We waited a year for this bunch, didn't we?
One of the advantages of nearly all cable shows is that they run straight through a season instead of taking breaks in between like network tv.

This is just yet another brilliant decesion by the suits at AMC after firing the showrunner and deciding to shoot most of the second season indoors because it is cheaper.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 4 2011, 03:26 PM   #53
the G-man
Commodore

I'll give the new showrunner a chance because he worked on "the Shield." But I have a feeling that network interference is going to kill this show fast.
the G-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5 2011, 12:38 AM   #54
Brikar99
Rear Admiral

Dream wrote: View Post

This is just yet another brilliant decesion by the suits at AMC after firing the showrunner and deciding to shoot most of the second season indoors because it is cheaper.
It's a brilliant decision... that allows them to release DVDs and blu-rays in six-episode chunks.
Old September 5 2011, 01:35 AM   #55
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Great. They'll make a few extra bucks on the DVDs and get the series cancelled in the process.
Old September 5 2011, 01:46 AM   #56
Dream
Admiral

Great. They'll make a few extra bucks on the DVDs and get the series cancelled in the process.
I remember when Sci Fi tried that shit with BSG. Fans were SO pissed.
Dream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2011, 09:29 PM   #57
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Darabont rejoins the show "in some capacity."

Six weeks after suddenly exiting the show he created, executive produced and ran – AMC’s The Walking Dead – Frank Darabont is still in discussions to continue on with an unspecified role on the show. According to inside sources, Darabont is likely to retain his executive producer title, but just what that will mean in terms of his creative input remains uncertain.
Is this just damage control spin?
Old September 8 2011, 09:37 PM   #58
Morpheus 02
Commodore

Six weeks after suddenly exiting the show he created, executive produced and ran – AMC’s The Walking Dead – Frank Darabont is still in discussions to continue on with an unspecified role on the show. According to inside sources, Darabont is likely to retain his executive producer title, but just what that will mean in terms of his creative input remains uncertain.
Or maybe they read my post on this thread about firing the AMC execs to save money and took it as a serious threat?
Morpheus 02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2011, 09:46 PM   #59
Sindatur
Vice Admiral

Either that or "Oops, we messed up. HELP!!!!!"

Where are we going? And why are we in this Handbasket?
Sindatur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8 2011, 11:09 PM   #60
clint g
Admiral

Sindatur wrote: View Post

Either that or "Oops, we messed up. HELP!!!!!"
That's how I take it. Perhaps they realized making good TV is harder than they thought