Trek 3 Shooting Next Spring?
By: T'Bonz on Sep 16

Star Trek: Alien Domain Game Announced
By: T'Bonz on Sep 15

Red Shirt Diaries Episode Three

Made Out Of Mudd Photonovel

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old July 25 2011, 05:51 AM   #166
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai
Re: Netflix shoots itself in the foot... aka no more free streaming

But it only works on Windows machines. Grr.
Old July 25 2011, 05:57 AM   #167
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
But it only works on Windows machines. Grr.
That's odd.
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25 2011, 06:31 AM   #168
Gep Malakai
Vice Admiral

Send a message via AIM to Gep Malakai Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Gep Malakai

Maybe I didn't look up the same one you did, but the Firefox plugin I found acheived the hack by launching an IE tab inside Firefox and loading the NetFlix content in there. According to the plugin's page itself, it doesn't work on Macs.
Old July 25 2011, 06:42 AM   #169
J. Allen
Science Is Magic™

Send a message via ICQ to J. Allen Send a message via AIM to J. Allen Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to J. Allen Send a message via Yahoo to J. Allen

Gep Malakai wrote: View Post
Maybe I didn't look up the same one you did, but the Firefox plugin I found acheived the hack by launching an IE tab inside Firefox and loading the NetFlix content in there. According to the plugin's page itself, it doesn't work on Macs.
I use the Greasemonkey layout fix.

You can get Greasemonkey for Mac here: http://mac.softpedia.com/get/Interne...semonkey.shtml

And here's the Netflix layout fix: http://userscripts.org/scripts/show/105047
Brony Kingdom
J. Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26 2011, 06:21 AM   #170
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Scout101 wrote: View Post
But if perks go away, your PR department should probably tell you to lead with something other than "Great news, everybody!"
Bingo.

Netflix was a great value. It still is a great value. (My rate actually decreased.)

But whoever is in charge of their PR/Marketing needs to be fired. Good lord, what a completely amateurish fuckup. There was no reason at all that the customers needed to be riled up this way. Netflix needed to plot out a PR strategy months ago and start implementing it, so that, yes, it did really seem to be "Good news, everyone!"

As I've said previously, one cornerstone of that strategy is to make sure Netflix does not become lumped in the public mind with Hollywood studios, which are loathed as greedy, soulless scumbags. That image would be fatal to Netflix (and completely unfair, not that what's fair or unfair counts for spit in all this.)

Netflix needs to project an image of being a small, grass-roots, technology based company that is the complete antithesis of Hollywood douchebaggery. They need to be the guys who've got our back, against the Hollywood douchebags. (None of this needs to have any relationship to reality or what happens in meetings between Netflix and the Hollywood douchebags - keep in mind, I'm talking about a PR campaign.) At the very least, Netflix needs to control the message, which they have shown no signs of doing.

Broccoli wrote: View Post
Skywalker wrote: View Post
You probably should have read the past 11 pages, since most of the complaints were in regards to Netflix's handling of the situation, not the price change.
Allow me to amend my statement. I did read the first couple of posts, which were complaining about the changes in the plans, before I posted. And if you had read my post instead of delivering snark, you would have noticed that I wasn't defending a price change (though I did touch on it), but was defending Netflix's business decision (which seemed to be where the thread was heading given this current page).
Netflix's business decision is sound. Their PR/Marketing is asleep at the wheel. Netflix is delivering a good product at a fair price. Most PR departments are expected to defend companies that deliver crap at ass-rape prices, and make everyone believe that it's a good product at a fair price. Netflix's PR people have the easiest job on the planet, which makes it indefensible that they'd blow it so badly! Imagine being the PR people for BP.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2011, 05:53 AM   #171
RoJoHen
Awesome

Gaith wrote: View Post
lots of free movies over the Internet, even if the resolution is miserable,
This phrase confuses me. Whenever I stream from Netflix, the resolution is always at least DVD quality.
Old July 27 2011, 08:39 AM   #172
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

Why don't people get this fired up when gas jumps up higher percent rates than this? Or Tobacco & Alcohol?
Old July 27 2011, 08:51 AM   #173
Cmndr J Crichton
Commodore

RoJoHen wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
lots of free movies over the Internet, even if the resolution is miserable,
This phrase confuses me. Whenever I stream from Netflix, the resolution is always at least DVD quality.
If you're streaming from an HD device the picture can look almost Blu Ray qualty! People dont understand the monumental undertaking that is Streaming. With this price increase, I bet we can expect more studios to sign, more bandwith added to the company, more importantly more titles of movies and TV shows to appear on the service. Where else can yo watch the entire 90's X-Men and Spider-man cartoons in perfect clear quality? Or 4 of the 5 Star Trek shows in their entirety again in disc quality streaming? Recently they just added Iron Man 2. and The Secretariat. The Fighter as well. So people who say there isnt any new movies to watch clearly doesnt check their website for new titles, just the Roku, or other device choices.

Psst. Just checked again: The 60's spider-man cartoons are available now! See It's gems like that that make Streaming worth every penny.
Old July 27 2011, 11:10 AM   #174
Scout101
Admiral

Iron Man 2 has been out on DVD for how long now, though? 6 months? A year? not exactly new, which is the point...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Scout101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27 2011, 02:01 PM   #175
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

I only have poor-quality streaming when the original video isn't good quality (say it's only 4:3 SD resolution, as is the case for many older TV shows) or when my Internet connection is congested. But if I don't have other stuff downloading and it's a film or TV show that's HD-capable, the quality is superb.
Old July 29 2011, 02:55 AM   #176
Broccoli
Vice Admiral

Maybe people can contribute to the Netflix Relief Fund.
Old September 1 2011, 10:48 PM   #177
Temis the Vorta
Fleet Admiral

Starz is nixing streaming content on Netflix.

Which is why I dumped the streaming part of Netflix. Studios are not going to let Netflix expand in this area, because they smell mooooney. The streaming options will always lag seriously behind their DVD library, and the deep library is a major reason why I bother with Netflix at all.

This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content. With our current studio rights and growing original programming presence, the network is in an excellent position to evaluate new opportunities and expand its overall business.
Temis the Vorta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2011, 10:55 PM   #178
Robert Maxwell
Not Your Toy

View Robert Maxwell's Twitter Profile Send a message via ICQ to Robert Maxwell Send a message via AIM to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to Robert Maxwell Send a message via Yahoo to Robert Maxwell

Temis the Vorta wrote: View Post
Starz is nixing streaming content on Netflix.

Which is why I dumped the streaming part of Netflix. Studios are not going to let Netflix expand in this area, because they smell mooooney. The streaming options will always lag seriously behind their DVD library, and the deep library is a major reason why I bother with Netflix at all.

This decision is a result of our strategy to protect the premium nature of our brand by preserving the appropriate pricing and packaging of our exclusive and highly valuable content. With our current studio rights and growing original programming presence, the network is in an excellent position to evaluate new opportunities and expand its overall business.
The "premium nature of our brand"? Who do they think they are, HBO?

Get a grip, Starz.
Old September 1 2011, 10:58 PM   #179
Captain Craig
Vice Admiral

Oohhh Starz yanked their streaming.
*Yawn* they have one show I had in my queue, no big loss.

"Highly valuable...in whose eyes" the stock market overreacted imo, Netflix will rebound in a short time.
Captain Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1 2011, 11:01 PM   #180
billcosby
Commodore

There's no way the pricing model could have sustained itself from the beginning.

billcosby is offline   Reply With Quote