New Star Trek Funko Pop! Vinyl Figures
By: T'Bonz on Nov 26

QMx Mini Phaser Ornament

Stewart as Neo-Nazi Skinhead

Klingon Bloodwine To Debut
By: T'Bonz on Nov 25

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old September 1 2011, 05:18 PM   #3391
Trek
Fleet Captain

Re: Star Trek Online goes "Free to Play"

Having read the CO matrix for f2p, I'm not sure that this is going to change much for me. I think that come March next year I'll be contemplating a lifetime subscription again.
Twitter: @Trek88
Old September 1 2011, 06:48 PM   #3392
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Trek wrote: View Post
Having read the CO matrix for f2p, I'm not sure that this is going to change much for me. I think that come March next year I'll be contemplating a lifetime subscription again.
Probably something you should consider getting especially if they do the paying accounts get 400 C-store points a month thing.
Old September 1 2011, 07:03 PM   #3393
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

It's not just the stipend (which is worth about 7-8 Dollars per month I think?) It's mostly the ability to play with all customization options and no more restrictions and caps then we have now.
You can't translate the biggest restrictions from CO (freeform heros) to STO 1:1.
SO it will be interesting what the limitations will be.
Possibilities:
No mix and match of career and ship class
no alien creator, just preset aliens like Vulcans and Trill
Maybe a bridge officer cap of 6. Just enough to man every console on the biggest bridge.
no foundry access
only standard Cryptic original uniforms
only type 8 shuttlecraft/runabout access
Old September 1 2011, 08:08 PM   #3394
Darth Thanatos
Lieutenant Junior Grade

More than "no Foundry access", my guess would be "no Foundry authoring access". You may play the missions, but not make them.
Old September 1 2011, 08:09 PM   #3395
daedalus5

And just in time for those winter nights in the UK! Good news indeed.
Old September 1 2011, 08:14 PM   #3396
daedalus5

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Agreed a new thread for this justfied, since it will interest people who don't play yet because of the monthly cost and thus don't bother following the general STO thread.

Hesitated to merge, but then there were two threads activley talking about the same thing, so merged them. If f2p is a new conversation in itself, will spin off another thread? Dunno about interest levels.
Old September 1 2011, 11:51 PM   #3397
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Online

I don't imagine this board population will speculate as wildly and with as much hand-wringing as the players over at the STO official forums, so I'm not sure a thread dedicated specifically to the F2P discussion would be needed - at least not until Cryptic Studios has been authorized by Perfect World to start its real announcement with FAQs, etc.

Maybe, though, it would be worth closing this thread down and relaunching a new discussion thread, a la when threads got too big in the past. My suggestion would be "Star Trek Online Discussion (Going Free-to-Play!)" or something similar; that way it would encompass both general discussion, as well as contain a subject line-level notice about the game's impending new status to garner attention from anyone not already paying attention to the game who would be interested by that and want to discuss it.
Old September 2 2011, 02:53 AM   #3398
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

PsychoPere wrote: View Post
I don't imagine this board population will speculate as wildly and with as much hand-wringing as the players over at the STO official forums, so I'm not sure a thread dedicated specifically to the F2P discussion would be needed - at least not until Cryptic Studios has been authorized by Perfect World to start its real announcement with FAQs, etc.

Maybe, though, it would be worth closing this thread down and relaunching a new discussion thread, a la when threads got too big in the past. My suggestion would be "Star Trek Online Discussion (Going Free-to-Play!)" or something similar; that way it would encompass both general discussion, as well as contain a subject line-level notice about the game's impending new status to garner attention from anyone not already paying attention to the game who would be interested by that and want to discuss it.
Good idea.
Old September 2 2011, 08:15 AM   #3399
Rat Boy
Vice Admiral

Gotta admit, they did wonders on the new Borg command ship, from the blaster beam tone when it shows up to what happens if you get hit by the 12th power plasma torpedo with your shields down.
Old September 2 2011, 01:17 PM   #3400
Trek
Fleet Captain

Hartzilla2007 wrote: View Post
Trek wrote: View Post
Probably something you should consider getting especially if they do the paying accounts get 400 C-store points a month thing.
Definitely. The only reason I didn't do it this year was because I couldn't get the the cash together (I was only just able to make the annual sub).

Official word from cryptic:

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/2600

Looks like we'll be getting all the info on Free-to-play next week
Twitter: @Trek88
Old September 2 2011, 02:30 PM   #3401
mic of orion
Commander

nice,free to play sound what we all need than loads more would try and play this game instead of what's current subscription base, 25000? Eve went free play as well once they did numbers skyrocketed (120-125 000) active accounts.

Problem with free means that there might be loads of morons who might just come to annoy others, reason why Eve online has such bad rep and not more have taken the offer of free gameplay.

W.E the case I am looking forward to not paying for for game i came to like, perhaps this might even give me a chance to play Klingon character.

PS,

guys need to ask few questions, where is best for rare partiles, which expanse, and where can i get these blue particles, i forgot where i collected them . And wher can i get more purple particles, Borg space I mean B'tran cluster is good for purple, but they are hard to come by,.

So to recap, blue, purple particles , which clusters to go to look for these, and rare particles, which is best cluster? O yeah Delta flayer???? How do i get schematics for that one? cheers.

Benjamin Franklin

Last edited by mic of orion; September 2 2011 at 09:54 PM.
Old September 3 2011, 02:04 AM   #3402
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Rare particles are entirely random, you can get them anywhere. Though you have to succeed at the waveform minigame and ideally complete them with time to spare for a better chance for a rare.

look at what Tier the item is you want to craft.
Tier 1 samples are found in Delta Volanis, Arucanis Arm and Hromi Cluster
Tier 2 in the Romulan clusters/nebulas.
Tier 3 in the Bajoran nebulas
Tier 4 in B'Tran for Rear Admirals
Tier 5 in VA B'Tran

The Delta Flyer schematic you get for completing the Delta Flyer mission daily ten times. means you have to pick up the mission each day and use a shuttle to collect the specific anomalies.
or if you have some resources buy the schematic on the exchange.
To craft the actual flyer you need 180 crafting skill points which you get by crafting other stuff.
Old September 3 2011, 02:18 AM   #3403
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Timelord_Victorious wrote: View Post
Rare particles are entirely random, you can get them anywhere. Though you have to succeed at the waveform minigame and ideally complete them with time to spare for a better chance for a rare.
Yeah and sometimes you get 1 hour skill boosts as well.
Old September 3 2011, 03:26 AM   #3404
mic of orion
Commander

Cheers guys, and just bought delta flayer schematics at the exchange, is delta flayer classed as a device or it takes a ship's slot, if so I'll need to delete one of my ships.

Benjamin Franklin
Old September 3 2011, 03:46 AM   #3405
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Yeah. It counts as a ship.
Closed Thread