Pegg/Wright Trilogy In The Works
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Star Trek: The Compendium Rebate Details
By: T'Bonz on Aug 20

Gold Key Archives Volume 2
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Takei Documentary Wins Award
By: T'Bonz on Aug 19

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Misc. Star Trek > Trek Gaming

Trek Gaming Program Complete - Enter When Ready.

Closed Thread

Old September 1 2011, 02:36 AM   #3376
PsychoPere
Vice Admiral

Re: Star Trek: Online

Perfect World's CFO stated in an earnings call on Monday that STO will be adopting the "free-to-play" model by the end of the year.
Kelvin Lau wrote:
And also Star Trek Online, after the acquisition, in fact Cryptic is working on the free-to-play model for Star Trek Online. This is going to be launched by the end of this year as well.
You can see the transcript for yourself here, and I found it via this thread on the STO official forums. Another user over there also pointed out that one can listen to the audio of the conference call here.
Old September 1 2011, 08:50 AM   #3377
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^^Yeap its going F2P.....funny thing is the forums over there have been abuzz with this all week......now is just starting to leak out.....Exec producer of Cryptic Dan Stahl has basically stated that more info will follow real soon in one of the threads over there.

Old September 1 2011, 11:03 AM   #3378
Darth Thanatos
Lieutenant Junior Grade

Star Trek Online goes "Free to Play"

MMORPG.COM article:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/g...g-in-2011.html

Original PW iinterview:

http://seekingalpha.com/article/2891...ipt?part=qanda

So, yes, it's official from the mouth of the owners.

You can stop paying now, and wait until December to play again, for free. And purchase "pay to win" items in the C-store.

¿Good or bad? You decide...
Old September 1 2011, 11:30 AM   #3379
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

Re: Star Trek Online goes "Free to Play"

^^Already a discussion about it in *edited link by d5* bud.

Tis now merged! - d5

Last edited by daedalus5; September 1 2011 at 08:12 PM. Reason: Merged thread and wanted to remove confusion
Old September 1 2011, 11:35 AM   #3380
Darth Thanatos
Lieutenant Junior Grade

I think that such a MAJOR move on the ONLY online MMORPG game of the Star Trek franchise deserves its own thread, not a few remarks on an already huge thread that is a catch-all-subjects related to STO.

I would not go as far as suggesting to sticky it, but I do honestly believe that it does deserve having its own thread.
Old September 1 2011, 11:42 AM   #3381
Scout101
Admiral

Well shit. After they insisted over and over again that the buyout wouldn't result in that? straight to it! Feeling 'less than awesome' over te $300 I paid to buy into this thing now...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Old September 1 2011, 11:44 AM   #3382
Aeolusdallas
Captain

Scout101 wrote: View Post
Well shit. After they insisted over and over again that the buyout wouldn't result in that? straight to it! Feeling 'less than awesome' over te $300 I paid to buy into this thing now...
You are aware of the benefits your lifetime gives you ...............right? Check out CO. Lifetime members get a monthly stipend plus gold access on top of that.
Old September 1 2011, 11:55 AM   #3383
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

It might work out better for LTS this way, now they get a monthly stipend to buy CS items whereas before you had payed for your LTS and then you still had to pay more for stuff from the C store......and all the other features that LTS will get free access to, that normal monthly members will no doubt have to pay for now that its going F2P.

Old September 1 2011, 12:09 PM   #3384
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Yes, the stipend equals a permanent discount on C-Store content. And permanent gold membership is permanent unlimited in game content. Unlike free silver accounts, which will have as yet unknown restrictions to in game content, not full access to everything C-Store and no stipend.
Old September 1 2011, 12:25 PM   #3385
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

Agreed a new thread for this justfied, since it will interest people who don't play yet because of the monthly cost and thus don't bother following the general STO thread.
If it turns out to be a bad move to change to FTP it will be for heavy intervention from Perfect World. I think it's most likely Cryptic will adapt the Champions Online modell.
Old September 1 2011, 12:36 PM   #3386
Darth Thanatos
Lieutenant Junior Grade

One thing that apparenty is lost in the huge, but incredibly polite, transcription is the "hidden gem" that Chinese players will get their own version of STO, leaving the current game for the rest of the world.

This may mean that the current STO may end providing ridiculous revenue while the Chinese version provides the lion's share of the earnings. We may want to be careful with this one.

We are talking about a 1.3 billion population. Even if just 0.01 percent of it plays STO, it would represent a "niche market" bigger than the rest of the world.

Anyways, that's good news for me. I had to drop the game because I could not afford to pay for it (I'm unemployed) AND because the fun/money ratio was not keeping up. If I can play for free, I might tolerate certain behaviors on the devs' and execs' part.
Old September 1 2011, 02:26 PM   #3387
Haggis and tatties
Rear Admiral

^^I hope all thats true...there has been a lot of stuff i had wanted on the C-store but no way was i paying those crazy prices and even more money........so a nice monthly allowance to buy stuff from the store would be great.

Old September 1 2011, 03:14 PM   #3388
Hartzilla2007
Vice Admiral

Haggis and tatties wrote: View Post
^^I hope all thats true...there has been a lot of stuff i had wanted on the C-store but no way was i paying those crazy prices and even more money........so a nice monthly allowance to buy stuff from the store would be great.
Especially since you can let it stack up to get the expensive stuff.
Old September 1 2011, 03:43 PM   #3389
Timelord Victorious
TARDIS Janitor

And you can trade in game currency for c-points as well then, which am personally not so thrilled about ( whole new can of worms), but would be helping you as well.
Old September 1 2011, 05:05 PM   #3390
Scout101
Admiral

I suppose that would be the one GOOD thing to come out of it. I resented paying that much money for the game, and then them trying to nickle and dime me to buy things in the C-Store if I wanted any of the 'cool' things they were releasing. Especially since there's been a huge break in new game content, but the items available for purchase just kept rolling out. A lot of them were interesting, but couldn't justifying continue to throw more and more money after these things.

Getting a stipend to buy some of them each month would be a plus...
Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by man. ~Jack Handey
STO: @JScout33
Closed Thread